Quantcast

how strong is?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
how strong is the sun mtx rim. i'm interested in it for a fr ht that i'm in the process of biulding. i'm pretty hard on rims and so far the only rim that i have yet to completely own (destroy) is the Mag30. i have broken many other dh rims (some nicer than others). i'm just wondering if these things will have a prayer

btw i'm fairly smooth but i'm a big guy at 240 and i'm not afread of a reasonablely size drop (+7' ot flat and +12' to a good tranny)

thanks dan

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
That sounds like a good idea. Double tracks, to my limited knowledge, are merely a mag 30 with a different colour scheme, and a pinned seam as opposed to the mag 30's welded seam aren't they?

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
one of my friends rides 32h double tracks on his fs freeride bike. they've stood up to more than their fair share of hard, flat, concrete landings and stairs. He even bashed the rear wheel on the edge of a brick wall, hit it so hard it flatted a downhill tube inside a 2.5" Minion tire (which takes quite a bit) and snapped the chain, and the rim needed no more than a little spoke tension adjustment. Double tracks may be new to the freeride scene, but they've got my vote.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
oh, and if you can find them, supra E's hold up well too. another guy I ride with throws his hardtail off 6' to flat concrete with those rims and has no problems.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
corey i thought about those and i cant really get a hold of them anymore. also i would like the wheels to not be too heavy. i also i had good luch with the Mag30/double track in the past i will use those. thanks for the info people

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
My double tracks have withstood plenty hits. I weigh 175lbs. Flatted right after the first turn at the US Open, rode the whole way down thinking it was dead. Nope round and still true. My friend also flatted on it at the last Diablo race, and Snowshoe national. No flat spots, nothing.

I've been liking my Mavic 729 that I've had on for the last couple months though.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
caputo1989 said:
30% stronger than any other rim. :think:
yah I saw that rim, looks a little "out there" to me, but sometimes that innovative stuff works. I'd believe it prevented pinch flats a lot sooner than I'd believe that goofy ass looking rim was 30% stronger than my doublewides, but then again they've got so much mass to them they're probably heavy as $h!t

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
there is no way in hell i would run that T.H.E rim. its heavy as hell near impossible to get a tire on (your going to bend steel tire levers). also imagine trying to lace those F'ers up. with all of those things i dont care it they are stronger

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Strongest rims; 729, Mags 30, Doubletracs, Momentums

One of my buddys breaks rims all the time, about a rim a month. He has broke Arrow DHXs, 321s, doubletracs, etc. The only rim that has lasted him is the Mag 30s and 729.

Stay far away from the THE rim.
I ran them and i can say they were complete garbage.
It pains me to say it b\c when i was a kid Toby was ripping up the BMX scene on a SE racing Quadangle so i had to have a PK ripper frame set.

Anyway i had nothing but problems with those rims. On top of all that the rims were out of round so the tire bead would jump off the rim (tried different tires) so at the I-bike show i brougt it up to ol Toby and he said oh yeah, the first batch were out of round. Have a nice day..... :mumble: :nuts:

As heavy as my Mag 30's may be they have stood up to huge drops,hucks and the occasional bad case.
It really is a set it and forget rim as long as a good builder laces em up.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Doubletracks come in pinned and welded. Im not sure how easy the welded one are to find... i ordered mine on EP. I would stay away from pinned rims for agressive riding....

Im a big guy (240ish) and am not always smooth (plower), and Ive had really good luck with the Doubletrack rims. My front rim has been in use for 3 seasons and on 3 bikes without any flatspots or warps. My first rear DT rim only lasted 1 year, but a big jump at whistler onto some rocks with a flat made one of the eyelets crack. I still ran the rim the rest of the season and it held. I only replaced the rim when I had to rebuild a 12mm hub for my DHR. I would have ran it untill total failure if i didnt need the new hub. You do pay some pennalty with weight, but i have seen many other riding friends go through alot more wheels than I have.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
i wouldn't trust any sun product after the customer service experience i had while trying to get replacement pawls for my rear hub. i couldn't even get ahold of anyone who even knew what a rear hub was for about 3 weeks. left tons of messages and never got 1 call back. and niether did the owner of the bike shop that blew up the exact same hub the day before i did. ended up having to buy a hadley and lace it up to the tune of $280.00.

so i don't care how good a mag 30 might be. please don't support that company. just buy 729's instead which are just as strong.

i have a pair of 321's, which i believe are now 729's... on my dh bike. just the last trip i made to Northstar i pinch flatted 2 dh tubes (2.25mm -huge- thick) on 40psi with my 6way cranked way up and i only weigh 180. didn't put anything but a couple tiny nicks in the rim. no flat spots. no cracks. still perfectly true. they still turn as good as the day i got the bike.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Kanter said:
Strongest rims; 729, Mags 30, Doubletracs, Momentums

One of my buddys breaks rims all the time, about a rim a month. He has broke Arrow DHXs, 321s, doubletracs, etc. The only rim that has lasted him is the Mag 30s and 729.
The 321 and 729 are the same rim... Sounds like your friend either has had good luck with the 729 or bad luck with the 321s that he has used.

Your comment helps to prove my point that people are too quick to judge products. You could snap a 729 on the first ride, or have a Rhyno Lite last you a whole year.

Don't forget that the quality of the wheel build also has an effect on rim strength.