Quantcast

how the hell does anyone get hired these days?!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
who needs a job? We started picking pears yesterday. You get $10 for every bin you pick.

We need peach pickers too. That's hourly and you need a good eye. No picking the green fruit or you lose your job.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
who needs a job? We started picking pears yesterday. You get $10 for every bin you pick.

We need peach pickers too. That's hourly and you need a good eye. No picking the green fruit or you lose your job.
hmmmmmm....place to camp nearby?

Oct 23, 2009
Hillsboro
[rant]

After 8 bajillion job interviews that all go really well and leave me feeling warm and fuzzy inside, I keep getting the same answer: "we've hired another candidate"; or "we found a better match for this position." What the hell am I doing wrong? Is this what I get for having a liberal arts degree from a public university? Or am I doomed because I've spent the last two years being a ski bum and playing in the mountains? Or maybe it's because California is an economic hell-hole these days? I thought it would be relatively easy to grow up, leave the ski bum lifestyle, and find a "real" job. How the hell does anybody find a job these days? This is getting ridiculous. And very frustrating.

[/rant]
Go back to skiing, trust me, it's the best thing you could ever do for yourself!

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
No offense but I fail to understand why folks go to school for liberal arts degrees.

You got to go in there like you own the place but not in a cocky sort of way. Also do what everyone else doesn't do. Do what I do, show up in a t-shirt and jeans. I've got hired for the last 4 jobs I've applied for. I'm not dressing up in a F'N suit for a job interview.

"But that's what everyone does, it's what your supposed to do."

Bullf*ck. If you have a good command of NLP, you can use certain suggestions and key words that will resonate in their mind as well and set you apart from the pack. All about preparation my friend.

Also by freaking out before hand, or even mild tension will throw your energy way off. Energy is real and they will feel it as soon as you enter the room or shake your hand. Stand up straight and give a firm handshake. If sitting make a point to not slouch in the chair. Body language can be read just as easily as the energy you are setting forth based on your internal state of mind, even prior to the interview.

Consider this the best advice given so far and it's free. Some fools go to see job coaches or interview coaches for this info. Most folk are really really dumb and there's a lot of people that are really really good at it.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
No offense but I fail to understand why folks go to school for liberal arts degrees.

You got to go in there like you own the place but not in a cocky sort of way. Also do what everyone else doesn't do. Do what I do, show up in a t-shirt and jeans. I've got hired for the last 4 jobs I've applied for. I'm not dressing up in a F'N suit for a job interview.

"But that's what everyone does, it's what your supposed to do."

Bullf*ck. If you have a good command of NLP, you can use certain suggestions and key words that will resonate in their mind as well and set you apart from the pack. All about preparation my friend.

Also by freaking out before hand, or even mild tension will throw your energy way off. Energy is real and they will feel it as soon as you enter the room or shake your hand. Stand up straight and give a firm handshake. If sitting make a point to not slouch in the chair. Body language can be read just as easily as the energy you are setting forth based on your internal state of mind, even prior to the interview.

Consider this the best advice given so far and it's free. Some fools go to see job coaches or interview coaches for this info. Most folk are really really dumb and there's a lot of people that are really really good at it.
Did you just use the word BullF?ck? :think:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hmmmmmm......:think:
Think hard... Picking fruit is no joke. Best I ever did was 6 bins in a day. I've seen some people who can pick 10 bins a day :eek: Apples pay anywhere between $8-20 per bin depending on the variety/requirements.

Its fun though, depending on your definition of 'fun'. Definitely a cultural experience.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Think hard... Picking fruit is no joke. Best I ever did was 6 bins in a day. I've seen some people who can pick 10 bins a day :eek: Apples pay anywhere between $8-20 per bin depending on the variety/requirements.

Its fun though, depending on your definition of 'fun'. Definitely a cultural experience.
I dont mind hard work & love cultural experiences but the problem is getting out there....the cost alone makes it not worth it. although i will be looking at CL ride share.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I dont mind hard work & love cultural experiences but the problem is getting out there....the cost alone makes it not worth it. although i will be looking at CL ride share.
Yea... It's funny because back in the day all seasonal labor was migrant. Now its too expensive to be feasible!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Do what I do, show up in a t-shirt and jeans. I've got hired for the last 4 jobs I've applied for. I'm not dressing up in a F'N suit for a job interview.
Great advice for a guy with no practical experience, no specialized degree, coming off two years of doing basically nothing, and interviewing for jobs in a very difficult job market. :) :weee:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Here's how to NOT get hired...send an email to 6 different Craigslist job postings (without bcc'ing or anything) with the email subject "interested in position." And be sure NOT to put anything in the body of the email, simply just attach your resume.

I seriously just had this happen. Could you be any more slack? My guess is he's trying to stay on unemployment. :rant:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Here's how to NOT get hired...send an email to 6 different Craigslist job postings (without bcc'ing or anything) with the email subject "interested in position." And be sure NOT to put anything in the body of the email, simply just attach your resume.

I seriously just had this happen. Could you be any more slack? My guess is he's trying to stay on unemployment. :rant:
In all honesty, that isn't too much worse than simply spamming the very same resume to 10 positions without an email body. I have heard of a lot of people pitching the same resume (and it might not even be a good one).