Quantcast

How the Pros Ran Their Bikes at MSA

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I think most of those are pretty average for the rear shocks. What I'd like to know is where their boost valve/bottom out/pressures are at. From the shots you can see that Atherton and Leov have theirs at almost full linear while Gwin is almost full progressive.

I don't know about the fork settings too much though, but I have noticed that the compression adjusters don't seem to give much support when cranked full-in with the stock settings.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I think most of those are pretty average for the rear shocks. What I'd like to know is where their boost valve/bottom out/pressures are at. From the shots you can see that Atherton and Leov have theirs at almost full linear while Gwin is almost full progressive.
In talking with the Yeti mechanic, it sounds like the new 303 leverage ratio is less progressive than a Commencal, which is quite progressive. He described the Yeti as a flat curve, constant with slight rising rate. Yeti prefers this to make shock tuning easier.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Cool information, but doesn't do much for the consumer when each of those bikes have custom shim stacks and maybe even custom internal parts such as: pistons, HS springs, bottoming cones and whatever else they may have dreamed up.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's another thing I was wondering too - is it just the forks that have custom pistons/stacks or do the shocks as well? Hard to tell from their placement of the disclaimer at the bottom.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
How would it help anyways, even if people did know what was inside?

Unless you can ride like they can, see like they can and pedal like they can, all the pro gear in the world ain't gonna do F all for you.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Basically means the fork settings they provide mean jack **** for anyone else. Curious if it's the same for the shocks too.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How would it help anyways, even if people did know what was inside?

Unless you can ride like they can, see like they can and pedal like they can, all the pro gear in the world ain't gonna do F all for you.
Fair point to a degree, but whos to say that others can't appreciate the same setups? It sucks when manufacturers get pro racer feedback on suspension tuning and frame design and then decide that there's no way anyone else could benefit from the same stuff and de-tune it for us plebs. The difference between the top ten world cup riders and the top ten national and state riders is only a slight percentage on most tracks so why are the production versions so de-tuned?

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
The difference between the top ten world cup riders and the top ten national and state riders is only a slight percentage on most tracks so why are the production versions so de-tuned?
Beacause the percentage of "top ten" riders is VERY small compared to the percentage of Joe Weekend Warrior. Gotta build em for the masses, that;s why they have special tuning for the top 0.5%

-KT

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I just want to ride/race that is fast enough that you choose 40-11/23! Damn stupid little hills, I need a holiday.