Quantcast

how to best use my old stereo to stream music?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have had and enjoyed an old Sonos Bridge connected to my Denon stereo to stream music. Well, Sonos recently killed support for the Bridge and sure enough it no longer works. Does anyone use a similar device to stream Spotify, Pandora, etc on a traditional stereo?

Thx.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
what i hate about newer phones...no headphone jack....sometimes bluetooth just aint loud enough...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
On a related note, what music app/program are people using these days? I loathe iTunes and google is deprecating Play Music soon. I need a way to store/sort/play music on my PC and phone. Any recommendations?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have had and enjoyed an old Sonos Bridge connected to my Denon stereo to stream music. Well, Sonos recently killed support for the Bridge and sure enough it no longer works. Does anyone use a similar device to stream Spotify, Pandora, etc on a traditional stereo?

Thx.
I use an "older" Airport Express and it works okay, it was easy enough to setup and picks up music from pretty much any of our devices in the house over the WiFi. So we can stream to the stereo from either phone, or any of the three laptops in the house. NB: we have all Apple shiza. Two (2) iPhones and three (3) MacBooks of varying age. What I don't love about the system is that it does drop the music signal occasionally, which is annoying. I'd also like to extend the system with additional speakers, but that has nothing to do with the Airport Express. The Canadian has a couple different Airports in his place for different zones, and they also both cut out very occasionally. YMMV.

Since I don't have anything else (like a CD player, turntable, etc.) connected to the receiver (which is on semi-permanent loan anyways) and likely don't want/need to hook up anything else, I am kinda interested in getting something like this Stereo Hybrid Tube Amplifier with Bluetooth to power my sweet 80s vintage KEF speakers.

Apple airport express if you use apple stuff, or a Bluetooth thinger like this startech one, or if you want a fancier one with better guts, this audio engine one
Nice, I'll check those other two thingers out... kind of always on the lookout for what asides from an Apple thing would work.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
we have all Apple shiza. Two (2) iPhones and three (3) MacBooks of varying age
Do you have any use for a 2009 Macbook and an Airport Express? No idea on details as it's wife's old one she hasn't used for several years and I'm not cool enough to understand Apple stuff. It would need formatting etc.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Do you have any use for a 2009 Macbook and an Airport Express? No idea on details as it's wife's old one she hasn't used for several years and I'm not cool enough to understand Apple stuff. It would need formatting etc.
I appreciate the thought/offer, but probably not. Our older laptops are mid-2010 and they're starting to struggle a bit, they're both running the newest OS they are able to and it's a couple major versions behind. I can't even run the latest version of some of my design software on the older laptop due to the older macOS. @Nick could maybe try the Airport Express as proof of concept? Looks like the AirMusic app can make that happen from Android, which might be relevant to @Pesqueeb's intredasts asswell?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I appreciate the thought/offer, but probably not. Our older laptops are mid-2010 and they're starting to struggle a bit, they're both running the newest OS they are able to and it's a couple major versions behind. I can't even run the latest version of some of my design software on the older laptop due to the older macOS. @Nick could maybe try the Airport Express as proof of concept? Looks like the AirMusic app can make that happen from Android, which might be relevant to @Pesqueeb's intredasts asswell?
No worries, if you're able to assist me in formatting/updating the OS at some point I'd appreciate it and I'll see if I can get a few beer tokens for it on CL.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I demo'd a Bluesound Node 2i based on reviews that the sound quality was outstanding. You can stream via a multitude of services or from a USB drive. I was pretty damned impressed by it and decided to keep it. Bluesound has a product line similar to Sonos but doesn't use a proprietary interface but it seems that the DAC in the Node 2i is the real giant killer. This will let you pretty much play any digital format through any stereo with RCA inputs.

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
I demo'd a Bluesound Node 2i based on reviews that the sound quality was outstanding. You can stream via a multitude of services or from a USB drive. I was pretty damned impressed by it and decided to keep it. Bluesound has a product line similar to Sonos but doesn't use a proprietary interface but it seems that the DAC in the Node 2i is the real giant killer. This will let you pretty much play any digital format through any stereo with RCA inputs.
You can buy a little module from them that plugs into some NAD receivers(owned by the same company). Pretty slick.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You could go a HiFiBerry setup-

So I attempted to set up a HiFiBerry board with a Pi 4. The HiFiBerry OS is the most angering a frustrating bit of software I have ever touched with 0 useful documentation. Shit like local volume controls not working, but will remotely. But with a bunch of digging around I see you can get it to work by futzing with config files. It will not recognize the DSP board, but some GIT documentation shows how you can improve your chances by futzing with the code. I was expecting the core functionality to work out of the box but it appears I need to become an Ubuntu expert to even make basic functions work. I found someone else with the exact same board recognition problem as I did, with no responses from the HiFiBerry folks. Fuck that, its going back.

I have enough knowledge of dumb pointless platforms, don't need to learn another one if I'm not getting paid.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So I attempted to set up a HiFiBerry board with a Pi 4. The HiFiBerry OS is the most angering a frustrating bit of software I have ever touched with 0 useful documentation. Shit like local volume controls not working, but will remotely. But with a bunch of digging around I see you can get it to work by futzing with config files. It will not recognize the DSP board, but some GIT documentation shows how you can improve your chances by futzing with the code. I was expecting the core functionality to work out of the box but it appears I need to become an Ubuntu expert to even make basic functions work. I found someone else with the exact same board recognition problem as I did, with no responses from the HiFiBerry folks. Fuck that, its going back.

I have enough knowledge of dumb pointless platforms, don't need to learn another one if I'm not getting paid.
Hmmm, I remember having an issue with mine but I was the issue.
I went with the B&O backed one as it seemed like the best option for me as I wanted to be able to fun it without the Raspberry if needed/wanted.
From memory I flashed a few different OS's on to it and all seemed to work okay.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmmm, I remember having an issue with mine but I was the issue.
I went with the B&O backed one as it seemed like the best option for me as I wanted to be able to fun it without the Raspberry if needed/wanted.
From memory I flashed a few different OS's on to it and all seemed to work okay.

I only want if for the DSP function, as far as I can tell the only OS that supports that is the HiFiBerry OS, which implies it supports the DAC+DSP board, but it isn't even an option on the software selection. I have observed several bugs in which various support forums offer solutions that require me to a hell of lot more about the core code. I don't think I should have to participate in debugging/solutions for what should be off the shelf functionality. In addition my main issue seems to be unsolved. If I am going to go down the path where I need developer level knowledge, it isn't going to be on a hobbyist level platform.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I only want if for the DSP function, as far as I can tell the only OS that supports that is the HiFiBerry OS, which implies it supports the DAC+DSP board, but it isn't even an option on the software selection. I have observed several bugs in which various support forums offer solutions that require me to a hell of lot more about the core code. I don't think I should have to participate in debugging/solutions for what should be off the shelf functionality. In addition my main issue seems to be unsolved. If I am going to go down the path where I need developer level knowledge, it isn't going to be on a hobbyist level platform.
Ahhhh, that could be the issue then, with mine I can load the DSP profile on to the amplifier board, remove the Raspberry then just use Toslink in and it works as an active amp.

EDIT- Moode may be workable- http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=3389&highlight=dsp

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If I have to go figure out how to edit code to enable what should be plug and play functionality I would rather figure it out on a platform I can use with a broader application.
Yeah send it back, I recently spent ~$100 on STEM robot kit for my niece and nephew and I was so close to putting the damn thing through a window, it was infuriating! Using the headphone output to program the robot using a LED made it compatible with everything that had a headphone jack...........except my laptop and my tablet.
It runs on AA batteries, has no torque and if you make it turn on the spot the a track falls off, good Aussie design........
The Chinese designed Codey Rocky I bought is awesome, the kids loved it.