Quantcast

how to check or tell if you have linkage slop?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
This is probably a stupid question but a valid one.

How do you test or feel for slop in the bearings/linkage in a full suspension frame? Do you just grab the rear and go up and down side to side with no shock in the rear? I have 2 bikes which I ride fairly hard and would like to just go over the bikes and make sure in that aspect all is well.

Just curious how you check for slop? How do you know when you have slop in a bushing or bearing play? I've never gotten this far but have been curious.

Please let me know ways to check/notice this type of problem.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
when i had my RFXs the pivot by the BB came loose alot. I could always feel a bit of movement and slop coming from that area. usually you can feel when its loose or there is play when you are on the bike

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Generally I grab the seat and the wheel and pull/push them towards/away from each other....with the shock on. If I feal play subtle as it might be...I start to track it down.

I go from pivot to pivot doing the same seat tire thing before but feeling for movement. I usually put my finger between the two parts that pivot and feel for play. If not I go to the next pivot. Shock bushings should be checked also. Once you lacate the problem pivots, you can address what can be fixed/replaced to clean it up.

Many bikes have certain pivots that tend to loosen up more than others....after a while you check them first and then go from there.