Quantcast

How to crash with out getting hurt?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I went down to the local jumps today and the BMX guys who build them have taken it up a notch; before the jumps were big, but the first few were doable for someone with intermediate skill and some balls, now there huge, the whole line could easily be in a video. I want to do these jumps, but I don't want to get hurt. I hurt my wrist pretty bad this summer and I don't want another bad injury. So my question is how do you learn to bail or fall with minimal injurys? I seem to freeze in the air when things go wrong. So any tips a falling "properly" would be helpful.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Tuck and roll my good friend. Don't stcik your arms out in front of you when you fall. then tuck your shoulder in and roll

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
on dirt jumos its easiest to get some skate knee pads and if you are gonna hit the transition, land and slide on your knees. if all else fails tuck and roll

juancho

Chimp
Mar 6, 2004
When making your final approach as a dirt torpedo be sure to throw your bike out of the way.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
boostindoubles said:
juancho said it well, ditch the bike when your wrecking so you dont get tangled up in it.
When I did that I ended up breaking my foot...

Then again I *did* overshoot the landing also :p

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
"All you have to do is go that way-really fast. If something gets in your way, turn!!"

(come on, someone else out there has to get that one!)

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
If you dont think your going to make it, throw a foot over the TT (like a one footed can) and then kick the bike down into the gap(you know, between the lip and landing, and gracefully land your two feet onto of the top of the landing, and run down it. Its as easy as that.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
McT said:
If you dont think your going to make it, throw a foot over the TT (like a one footed can) and then kick the bike down into the gap(you know, between the lip and landing, and gracefully land your two feet onto of the top of the landing, and run down it. Its as easy as that.
If I hafta do that I usually jump over the bars like a heel-clicker, more natural for me that way... but I dont really think about it its pretty instinctive.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
When you're in the air if u start tilting to the side and u think yur not going to make the landing, throw your bike to the side in the air and just try to land on your feet. If you think you are going to make the landing, and you actually fall, try to role over your shoulder. when ever i do hat i never get hurt.

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
Heres one of my recent crashes:
http://www.snowpics.net/view_single.php?medid=2603

Theres a lot of situations where you cant control yourself or cant do anything at all, I just try my best to not be too tense, and just take the hits, after a while you'll build a stronger threshold for pain,helping you withstand greater pains,I've crashed a lot from sk8ing,DJing,& DHing, so now i find it less painful crashing :D for example the crash i had in the video, didnt hurt to bad, but now my bikes F'd in the A....

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
i agree with what a lot of people said. pitch the bike if you can, but if it's something unexpected then tuck and roll. it's saved me on almost every one of my "bad" crashes on the ones that didn't work to well to try and ride it out.

make sure that you're really feelin your speed and run in before you hit that new set.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Gunner said:
"All you have to do is go that way-really fast. If something gets in your way, turn!!"

(come on, someone else out there has to get that one!)
All I gotta say is " I want my two dollars!)
:blah: :p ;) :D

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I was pretty good at this when I skated a lot...

As evidenced by recent events, I no longer am.

do the loose goose and shoot for something that won't hurt you.
grass is best, then dirt, then bushes (cause of the risk of sticks+glass), then the dreaded... TREE