Quantcast

how to fix punctured fork lowers?

Kram

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
New Zealand
Hi - searched a bit - found nothing.
Trying to revive a friends old boxxer which has a small hole half way down the leg (not the stanchion).
Is there any decent way to plug it, and for it to be strong enough to last. Doesnt really need to be tidy. just do the job.
cheers

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've seen them carbon wrapped before which works a treat, but you obviously need somewhere a little specialized to do something like that.

I'm sure other wraps/patch ups are possible too though, probably cheaper ones if you don't care about looks.

Kram

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
New Zealand
thanks. Yeah i thought i had read about using jb weld somewhere before. Found a couple of threads on repairing scratched stanchions with it, but wasn't sure about using it on the punctured legs which will have the pressure buildup from within.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i dunno if it would be effective... but you could try wrapping it in fiberglass then hardening it with the epoxy enamel stuff...

i'd go with jb weld though

Jun 20, 2007
Try JB Weld, but keep your fingers crossed. If that fails, just buy new lowers. There always seem to be old boxxers on ebay for cheap $$$, he can buy one, use the lowers and keep the rest for spare parts.

intensem1

Monkey
Oct 15, 2006
Well i tried JB weld on my cracked lowers several times and it just kept leaking out, but i didnt try using a can.

I have a 2005 Boxxer Race for sale 50.00-Cracked Lowers

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hi - searched a bit - found nothing.
Trying to revive a friends old boxxer which has a small hole half way down the leg (not the stanchion).
Is there any decent way to plug it, and for it to be strong enough to last. Doesnt really need to be tidy. just do the job.
cheers
Easy temp fix, Take the lowers off, clean them up, install pipe plug. Might need to drill with a small dril then tap it to fit the pipe plug, and of coarse Tourque it to specs, youll need to find the specs for the plug your using, maybe a little red loctite on it to help. Other than that, just order a new set of lowers, there not that costly

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
We repaired one with JB weld a couple of years ago. It worked good enough until the kid could save up some cash for a new fork. The problem was that the lower was also dented which caused interference with the stantion. We were able to reduce that by pounding a wood dowell down into the lower. Still rubbed though and blew oil out the seals once the stantion got scratched from the intereference.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
my buddy punctured his 40 lowers

jb weld did it perfectly.. just make sure you LIGHTLY wire wheel the paint and shiz away, and apply, (make sure you have some kind of radius "tool" on the inside so it does not penetrate too deep )

unfortunately the day he rode, he then cracked his arch blowing a berm.... the jb weld held up perfectly though lol

(p.s anyone have 40 lowers for sale haha)

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
if i were you i'd take the lowers off ( couldn't hurt to change the oil anyways) and feel around the inside of the puncture. chances are, it's not going to be smooth so I would sand it down with super fine sandpapers and flush out the dust out with some fresh oil. that way you can reduce any stiction that might occur without sanding.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So I busted out the JB Weld and a section of SunDrop can. The "gouge" was more of a scrape, so it looks like it worked pretty well. Taped up with Duck brand duct tape, powder blue borrowed from the daughter (b/c they have about 8 rolls each with those flippin patterns) :) .

Rode Beech Mtn Bike Park pretty darned hard Saturday and looks like it will hold up nicely. Long term report will follow...long term?