Quantcast

How-to: get a Carfax-equivalent vehicle history report for $7.99

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
no, i haven't turned spammer. i just figured this out and thought it was kinda cool:

ebay motors has some deal with experian where you can get vehicle history reports (like those that carfax sells for $19.99 a pop) for $7.99, with the caveat being that they're on vehicles listed on ebay motors.

well, i wanted to check the title on my pathfinder since i'm selling it soon (but it's not yet on ebay motors, and i wanted to see the results before i write the description), so i took one glance at the url linking from the ebay motors listing page to the "order report" page and noted that the vin appeared to be included as part of the url in cleartext. well, take that last part of the url and insert the vehicle-of-your-choosing's vin instead and then you can get $7.99 reports for non-ebay motors vehicles.

snazzy eh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewJumpPageForVehicleHistory&vin=JN8AR05Y6TW025189

so in the above link substitute your VIN for JN8..., etc.

my freshly detailed pathfinder, soon to go on the auction block as a meager sacrifice to the WRX gods:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
WTGPhoben said:
Why you giving up on the pathfinder anyway? Doesn't get good gas milage with mud tires?
i want a stick, something fun, w/fewer miles. plus this summer finds me as free as i'm likely to be in the next few years so it's an opportune time

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
thanks for posting :D . it's good to hear that carfax agrees with this ebay/experian thing, which also showed it to be clean. i signed up for the $14.99/10 checks/no time limit deal with ebay since i'm going to look into about that many wrxs, i assume