Quantcast

How to get a Sponsor?

Curler

Chimp
Dec 6, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'm starting to get into riding a little more seriously so i was wondering whats the best way to get sponsored by like a local shop without already being best buds with the owner? Even if its like just parts at cost or paying for race entrys?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
if you are sponsored by a shop you most likely wont get more than cost, if you even get cost.

put together your riding resume.

-race results
-past events
-future planned events
-backround of your riding (how long, type, etc)
-pictures/videos
- why you believe you should be sponsored

although thats quite a few things, dont make it toooo lengthy

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
if you are sponsored by a shop you most likely wont get more than cost, if you even get cost.

put together your riding resume.

-race results
-past events
-future planned events
-backround of your riding (how long, type, etc)
-pictures/videos
- why you believe you should be sponsored

although thats quite a few things, dont make it toooo lengthy
Great start!

Community involvement is a big one! Trail advocacy, trails you maintain, etc. If you help with things along the lines of clinics (helping others learn to ride, or ride better), that is definitely something you want to have on your resume.

Figure a sponsor is looking for someone who will best represent them. Attitude is a big one, and so is public appearance. If you can bring your potential sponsor(s) to people through results and involvement while staying positive (Shaums March anyone??) you are going to attract far more attention and interest than someone who only races.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
or paying for race entrys?
This is rare even for pros.
Being a good representative and always acting like a professional is more important that results.
If you don't have any results, the best way is to form a team. Get a group of buds together and send out some resumes. At this point, you will looking at sponorship for next season.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
see if any of the local shops have a grassroots team. that's probally your best bet, if not, you have to do it the old fashioned way. get out to the races and start winning. trust me, the sponsorship road is not an easy one, and not half as glamorous as you might think. only the very TOP pro riders get stuff handed to them.

Kyle,

nweurosport

Chimp
Jan 13, 2006
Vashon, WA
Have you guys tried Sponsorhouse.com?

All you gotta do is fill out all that info in an online riding resume and then you can search out sponsors or they can find you. I got an offer from 661/Royal/Sunline and now I get like 45% off for riding XC.

Peace.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
sponsorhouse is a joke. all it does is hurt your local bike shops, and it has nothing to do with your level of riding. I've seen kids on there with TONS of sponsors who can't ride worth a damn. it's a way for kids to run around and say they are sponsored IMO. sure some of the company's give cost on products, but I've seen a lot of kids get 15-30 % off, that is actually making more money for the company, as it is more than they would sell the product to a shop. basically, it isn't a real sponsorship, but that horse has been beaten to death on every MTB forum.

all of my sponsors have been from actually talking to the companies and from companies approaching me. but I guess if all your looking for is deals, then do the sponsorhouse thing, but know that it is basically a scam.

Kyle,

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Get your hands on a Nov. '05 back issue of Mountain Bike Action magazine. There is an article there that distills down the basics of getting sponsorships - - written by a regular guy who has had a respectable amount of success securing sponsorhips ;).

[/shameless plug :D]

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Get your hands on a Nov. '05 back issue of Mountain Bike Action magazine. There is an article there that distills down the basics of getting sponsorships - - written by a regular guy who has had a respectable amount of success securing sponsorhips ;).

[/shameless plug :D]
What? You don't have electronic copies of the article available and waiting to email?

:clue: