Quantcast

How to get a town/city to sanction a dirt jump trail or park?

ImILL

Chimp
How do I go about doing this? Theres a MTB XC trail in my town and I want to build a pump track or DJ set without getting in trouble. Kind of like the jumps at 9th street in Austin,TX or like Cunningham park in Queens, Ny

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
How do I go about doing this? Theres a MTB XC trail in my town and I want to build a pump track or DJ set without getting in trouble. Kind of like the jumps at 9th street in Austin,TX or like Cunningham park in Queens, Ny
Find out who the mountain bike trail club is and talk to them. If there is a good dialogue and partnership between the club and the city, you can get things done in a 'legit' way.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
You might also approach the city's parks and recreation department, but you'll need to have some general plans to show them, and be prepared to explain things in layman terms. You're probably still better off to have the support of a local bike club, or at least a good portion of the local cycling community to show the city, though.

Good luck!

East Bay Rich

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
WC CA
Parks and Rec Dept is the best bet since all they really need is to fence off the area, have adequate signage, and have reasonably safe jumps.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Parks and Rec Dept is the best bet since all they really need is to fence off the area, have adequate signage, and have reasonably safe jumps.
Depending on the state laws or city ordinances, a fence may or may not be required. And "reasonable safety" may not even be required.

Sometimes the less control a municipality exerts over facilities, they better off they are liability-wise. It's a "Beware-Ride at Your Own Risk" situation rather than something the City has to maintain and ensure safety on. Texas has laws limiting liability of municipalities for a long list of sports, including biking trails generally as well as hazardous sports such as skateboarding specifically. SO, ironically sometimes you're better off from an activism perspective, to promote the dangerousness of bmx and skateboarding, because then the City can get a complete liability waiver. It's a lot better than going down the path of having jumps be required to meet some arbitrary standard of safety.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
personally I think you should do like 99% of other dirt jumpers and build your own trails "illegally." there's arguments either way but its easier to ask forgiveness than permission. involving the government and a bunch of suits should be a last resort not a game plan. they will tell you what you can and can't do which is not in line with what trails are really about. just scout a spot, get a game plan, gather the homies and dig. when it gets plowed youre bummed but keep moving. Ive got jumps going right now that are in a spot too good to not get plowed, but i'm damn sure going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Ive got jumps going right now .
WTF!!??

where? invite me and I'll move more dirt then all others combined. and... i'll bring beers.

To the OP. As mentioned, check w/ the city parks dept. Public jumps can suck but they can also be great. Getting them going/started is the first thing. They can/will grow over time. Just do your best to build them near trees if you can. Shade is nice. :)