Quantcast

how to get out of a traffic ticket

katherine

Chimp
Jan 25, 2010
how to get out of a traffic ticket
You should fight your ticket because you can. Many people think, “I was given a ticket. There is nothing I can do.” Most people do not fight their ticket and as a result police officers can continue to give tickets that may in some cases be unwarranted. Simply paying the ticket is an admission of guilt and results in the highest fine as well as a stain on your driving record. A mark on your driving record has several implications depending upon your driving history.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Was at a city council meeting recently and the topic came up as to why the police weren't cracking down harder on speeders (basically the residents wanted the police to issue tickets at 5mph over the limit). The truth of the matter is that the city would make money if and only if the speeders plead guilty and mail in their check immediately. If it goes to court the city loses money, and if you appeal your ruling then the city loses a LOT of money... That's why if you plead not-guilty to start off the procedure, they'll usually offer something (fewer points, less $$) to try to get you to change your mind and just plead guilty since they stand to lose a lot of money if you actually show up in court.

So unless they're offering you something really good (no points is what I usually go for), show up, go before the judge and think of it as a civics lesson.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I had the predecessor to the R1 an FZR1000.. the cop in the video could no longer chase because he was unsure which road the motorcyclist took.. it is important to be lucky if you decide to run and of course know where these intersections exist--luck favors the prepared.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
or one could argue that you cant outrun a Motorola. :rolleyes:
I have to wonder about that. A lot of riders put the plates on the side of the bikes, mostly to eliminate the fender. I'm sure it is illegal, but as you just saw...

Idiot. May he wind up stuffed under a guardrail.
Well, in the scale of dangerous riders, that guy was pure skill.

Speed alone is not sketchy.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have only been cited for traffic violations twice - both times I immediately paid the ticket because my time was more valuable than the fight. That and the fact that I's earned them fair and square.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I actually got ticketed for speeding when I really wasn't speeding. Went to court, talked to the cop, he basically said that he thought I was a punk kid and wasn't going to lower the charges. I had him talk to the 2 witnesses with me and he changed his mind and lowered it to a seatbelt. Looking back I should have fought it all the way, I was innocent.

Every other time I have been ticketed I had actually been speeding, admitted it and paid the fine with no argument.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
That's why if you plead not-guilty to start off the procedure, they'll usually offer something (fewer points, less $$) to try to get you to change your mind and just plead guilty since they stand to lose a lot of money if you actually show up in court.
This worked for me. I had 78 in a 55, and i clearly deserved the ticket. But my mom used to work for the city fairly high up so she knows some people who knew some people so I got a lawyer for practically nothing. I got it reduced to something like improper equipment (whatever that is...:rolleyes:) and got off with just a $25 fine and no points. :thumb:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
nice. i guess the cop realized the "Hot Now" light just came on at Krispy Kreme.

or one could argue that you cant outrun a Motorola. :rolleyes:
Or keep up the chase and endanger not only yourself and the rider, but also members of the general public and a bunch of cute fuzzy bunnies and sh!t..

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have only been cited for traffic violations twice - both times I immediately paid the ticket because my time was more valuable than the fight. That and the fact that I's earned them fair and square.
You and me both. :cheers:

(especially since both times I got pulled over was for about 18mph over the limit, and was 3hrs+ from where I lived each time).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
You and me both. :cheers:

(especially since both times I got pulled over was for about 18mph over the limit, and was 3hrs+ from where I lived each time).
Actually, once I was pulled over was about 9 hours away, but was a total small-town speedtrap. Since I didn't couldn't show up in person but wanted to plead it down I wrote a nice letter to the judge to see if I could get a lesser charge. Fine was reduced (maybe to 5mph over? can't remember) and I went on my merry way. :) Never hurts to ask...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Actually, once I was pulled over was about 9 hours away, but was a total small-town speedtrap. Since I didn't couldn't show up in person but wanted to plead it down I wrote a nice letter to the judge to see if I could get a lesser charge. Fine was reduced (maybe to 5mph over? can't remember) and I went on my merry way. :) Never hurts to ask...
LETTERS?!?! Who has time to write those?! ;)

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
i work all over the state of ny, i get speeding tickets all the time. i plead not guilty by mail go in for trial and usually get them dropped.
now that more and more state troopers use lazer its harder than the radar gun. i would just ask "did you calibrate your radar unit with a 3" tuning fork or a 6" tuning fork?!?!" and when they hesitate i would say "i motion for a dismissal your honor!"
lately i have asked the officer to prove what the speed limit actually is on that section of road, as long as your not going over 55 and not in a school zone well they have to prove the actual speed limit and when i pull out multiple pictures of basicly bs and the officer has nothing but his supporting deposition well as the law states beyond a reasonable doubt...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Idiot. May he wind up stuffed under a guardrail.
we're not even allowed to chase bikes...as if my POS crown vic would catch a halfway decent rider anyhoo.

i have to admit that i have run, on several occassions, from the man as a teen on my old Honda VF100R :D that baby was a tank but it could move and the turnpike in FL at midnight was a great place to outrun just about anything. looking back at it...i was an idiot teenager for trying but......;)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i work all over the state of ny, i get speeding tickets all the time. i plead not guilty by mail go in for trial and usually get them dropped.
now that more and more state troopers use lazer its harder than the radar gun. i would just ask "did you calibrate your radar unit with a 3" tuning fork or a 6" tuning fork?!?!" and when they hesitate i would say "i motion for a dismissal your honor!"
lately i have asked the officer to prove what the speed limit actually is on that section of road, as long as your not going over 55 and not in a school zone well they have to prove the actual speed limit and when i pull out multiple pictures of basicly bs and the officer has nothing but his supporting deposition well as the law states beyond a reasonable doubt...
you would lose every time if you tried to use that defense in NC.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
ny state police need to paint their cars green and put a dollar sign on the side of their car. its not about public saftey its only for the fine and the 2 surcharges per ticket

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Not that the guy on the bike wasn't speeding, but it's entirely possible he wasn't trying to outrun the cop, passed him without seeing him, and was gone before the cop could even get close enough he knew that he knew he was gonna get pulled over. If you you have ridden a crotch rocket, you pretty much can't see crap in the mirrors. About all you can do is tell the different between a tricycle, a car and a semi, especially any farther back than prob 100 ft. Hard to tell if he even had lights on. Doesn't look like the the cruiser has roof lights, probably the stealth style.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Yeah all you have to do is tell them your equipment is improper:D

what exactly is an improper equipment charge anyways?? nobody ever told me when i found out thats what my 23 over ticket got reduced to... I think the cop may have actually cut it down to 14 for me because he was pretty pissed after he found my buddy's pot...:think: It was a sheriff just north of greensboro. He was a huge asshole though. He charged us both (isn't that illegal?:confused:) with possession of less than 1/2 oz and paraphenalia even though my buddy took all the blame and i havent smoked in years:mad: I bet he just wanted to stick me with something else since he had already written the speeding ticket...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the part about questioning the equipment? or questioning the speed limit? I'm guessing the second.

There's also a few cases going on right now (or in the recent past) where people have fought their tickets so hard that they are trying to getmaccess to the source code of the radar guns used by the PD's to see if they even do what they claim in the first place.