Quantcast

How to get Sponsored

Ben Sampson

Chimp
Mar 30, 2016
To all my MTB friends!

I've been trying to get sponsored recently and have heard of a number of ways to go about it. I know some of my friends had a significant amount of success on networks such as Soul id getting recognized by teams from Red Bull etc... Do you guys have any thoughts on how to get sponsored? Have you used Soul id? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I hear racing sans pants is a good way to garner attention for one's self. Also get some tattoos and circus sized ear plugs. A flat brimmed hat with "this space for rent" should be in your kit as well. Remember, you want to get noticed. And when you do, fake an unplaceable European accent and mumble a lot when being interviewed.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
As soon as you get sponsored by a company with a strong dentist following, wreck the shit out of a rental vehicle and put it in an edit.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Be fast. Be stupid fast and race. If you are regularly on top of the podium at expert/semi-pro levels you might be able to get a local shop to pick up some costs. Most companies have sponsorship programs, but they have become much more frugal over the last decade or so because people abused them.

Realistically though, if you are fast enough or good enough, you will be approached.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Redbull's policy on sponsorship is to only sponsor the top 1% of pro athletes in their given sport.
So yeah, either go really fast or look elsewhere for bro deals.
Is that per country?

Half the dudes in the FMB are sponsored by redbull.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Is that per country?

Half the dudes in the FMB are sponsored by redbull.
I just looked at their athlete list. It has gotten a lot bigger than it used to be.
We met with one of their regional reps a few years ago about putting on an event.
They pretty much only wanted to sponsor wacky events, and they did not do ANY grassroots
sponsorship on any level. Top pros or bust for them.

Sep 11, 2015
You'll have a better shot with nearly any company if you have something else to offer besides just podiums. Things like social media savvy, being a good ambassador, being good at providing product feedback, and of course, sick edits all make a rider more attractive to sponsors, regardless of sport.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You'll have a better shot with nearly any company if you have something else to offer besides just podiums. Things like social media savvy, being a good ambassador, being good at providing product feedback, and of course, sick edits all make a rider more attractive to sponsors, regardless of sport.
Point... I didn't win that much, but damn can I talk. Probably one of my few redeeming qualities, actually.

And break things. I could really break things. And send it. Definitely sent it a lot.

Yeah, so scratch what I said. Get a vlog and send it and talk and get subscribers. That's the way to do it. Yeah!

Sep 11, 2015
Maybe this applies to girls more than it does boys, but look at riders like Rachel Throop and Hannah Barnes. They don't seem to win much of anything besides social media, and they've got factory rides.

Are there male equivalents of that? I'm honestly not sure.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Oh, I dunno. Way, way back in the day, when I was racing xc, the Clydesdale class was introduced. Perhaps some eager sponsors would be interested in a Stay Off My lawn class.
If they had a because you're afraid of me class I might start racing again. I would surely get sponsored. I can yell at people with reckless abandon. I am pretty loud also. A knife company would be a good sponsor. I feel stabby when I get passed, and thanks to Kershaw I am a winner!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If they had a because you're afraid of me class I might start racing again. I would surely get sponsored. I can yell at people with reckless abandon. I am pretty loud also. A knife company would be a good sponsor. I feel stabby when I get passed, and thanks to Kershaw I am a winner!
Ah, I understand. When I raced DH I thought about making a spectator silhouette stencil and painting on the side of the frame. It was almost never intentional, but I've hit a lot a spectators.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Speaking of knives, just sharpened my Gerber. Got to be able to defend myself from aggressive tree branches that want to slap me in the face.
I think Enduro Racing would really take off if they added weaponry and not so random violence. Make it like WWE on bikes. Mixed Martial Arts biking. I know Kung Fu and have sharp knives strapped to my high dollar carbon fiber bike...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Its a butchers knife. Every kitchen should have one. Makes for a cheaper chicken when you buy the whole bird. Same with cows...

Yet another job and angle grinder can do well.

Fun fact: a circular saw does a pretty good job of cutting tubes of frozen ground beef into burger patty size chunks, just be prepared to have maggots slung everywhere when you use a week later.