Old_Dude

Monkey
Problem:

Rear shifting is lame

Components:

Shimano Alivio rear derailleur w/SRAM 8 speed cogset

Considering Upgrade:

Shimano Deore LX rear derailleur

Will this upgrade work with these components - I don't mind the 8 speed cogset, but if I upgrade the rear derailleur, will I have to change my rear shifter? Should I upgrade the shifter also?

Thanks,

OD

To answer your question, the LX stuff will work fine with the SRAM cassette. In my experience, SRAM chains and cassettes seem to last a little longer than Shimano, but at the expense of a tiny bit of shifting precision. This is not the case with the ESP groups, but when used with the Shimano stuff, the Shimano chains & cogs will shift just a bit better.

Of course if your shifting sucks I would try new cables and housing, and check your chain and cogs for excessive wear before putting the cash out for a derailleur. If you've already tried it, nevermind.

Jan 21, 2002
melbourne, Australia
assuming that the chain and cassette r not worn, consider cleaning and lubing the cable and housing, especially the last loop of housing b4 the mech. If the cable/housing looks worn/damaged, replace it. Also check if the mech is ok ie/ not damaged or bent, check the alignment of the jockey wheels in relation to the sprockets. after this if there is no improvement consider something like a avid rollamijig or a delta de-roller (i fitted one of these to my bike and the shifting was so much lighter in effort.) or then finally consider the lx rear mech, there shouldn't any problem using this mech with your shifter and cassette. The mech should be able run 8 or 9speed with no trouble.

hope this helps and sorry to be so long winded!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
prozacs got it. My personal rule is to start with the free fix, clean it up really well and relube stuff like the pulley wheels and cables. Unless of course there is an obvious problem like something bent broken or worn out. Then change the cable and housing, its cheap. I figure 99% of all shifting woes are purely caused by gummed up cable and housing.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Once all of the real shifting woes are addressed, kick down the $10 for the Avid roll-a-majig. These little babies make shifting (even crappy systems) that much smoother and snappy. I've got em on both of my bikes and won't do without them again! :thumb: