Quantcast

How to know if you're with the right person?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
I'm thinking that if you imagine being stuck on a deserted island for 50 years with just them and you don't want to kill yourself or them... you've found the right person.
That assumes that you believe people are meant to be with just one person for their entire lives (or at least the bulk of their adult life). I don't subscribe to that - I think I'd kill myself after 20 years with just about anyone.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
DRB said:
And my wife can barely keep from killing me know, so isolated on an island for 50 years.... oh yeah it would be a race to see who's getting brained with a coconut first.
yep - that's pretty much what it would be like for us.

Heck, that's pretty much what it IS like, just not with a coconut.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
That assumes that you believe people are meant to be with just one person for their entire lives (or at least the bulk of their adult life). I don't subscribe to that - I think I'd kill myself after 20 years with just about anyone.
if that's true, then why did you bother getting married?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The way my wife and I found out if we were right for each other:

We went on a 4-month holiday to Europe. Nothing like spending 24-hours a day with someone in places you can't speak the language trying to get food and lodging on an almost daily basis. :thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
if that's true, then why did you bother getting married?
It took marriage to show me that.

Now, I may very well change my mind at some point, but that's where my head is right now.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:

We went on a 4-month holiday to Europe. Nothing like spending 24-hours a day with someone in places you can't speak the language trying to get food and lodging on an almost daily basis. :thumb:
wow - I bet that would do it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:

that's a pretty good stress test.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
well i wasn't sure what the 'blue line' reference was; my post was listed as a reason to get married (shindig = party)
Blue line = what appears on a pregnancy test if it's positive.

Something I've never had to witness first hand, fortunately :p

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
SkaredShtles said:

I dunno man, after all there is nothing like a common enemy to unite people. You just gotta make sure that you always have a common enemy to unite you.

You should have kids.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My thinking is that to be "marriage material", you have to put a lot of importantance on relationships - especially the relationship with your SO.

I've never really done that. Even when my marraige was good, my happiness came from other things before it came from her. Generally it came from myself - pride in something I was doing (work, kids, riding, whatever). I've never really let other people contribute to/dictate my level of happiness.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
fluff said:
I dunno man, after all there is nothing like a common enemy to unite people. You just gotta make sure that you always have a common enemy to unite you.

You should have kids.
Dude. That was awesome. :thumb:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
jacksonpt said:
My thinking is that to be "marriage material", you have to put a lot of importantance on relationships - especially the relationship with your SO.

I've never really done that. Even when my marraige was good, my happiness came from other things before it came from her. Generally it came from myself - pride in something I was doing (work, kids, riding, whatever). I've never really let other people contribute to/dictate my level of happiness.
I know the feeling... I've been with my g/f for... damn... over 4 years now... It's to the point where I can't see myself without her... but at the same time, I'm quite happy to go home every night and sleep in my own bed.

For me, the biggest problem is I'm always feeling like I do everything for her, but as soon as I want to do something for me (like go for a friggen bike ride), I get the silent guilt-trip. :redhot:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
jacksonpt said:
Huh, very interesting point, and I think I agree. I am super happy right now and I would say the majority of it comes from my relationship with me SO. Life does suck at times, but for me it really doesn't suck that bad because I'm really happy at home.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ian F said:
For me, the biggest problem is I'm always feeling like I do everything for her, but as soon as I want to do something for me (like go for a friggen bike ride), I get the silent guilt-trip. :redhot:
that's not a good sign (duh)... same thing happens at my house.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Snacks said:
Huh, very interesting point, and I think I agree. I am super happy right now and I would say the majority of it comes from my relationship with me SO. Life does suck at times, but for me it really doesn't suck that bad because I'm really happy at home.
yep - and it's just the opposite with me.

When life sucks the most, rather than going home and getting away from it for a few hours - being able to count on my wife for some stress free "at ease" time, it just gets worse. Aside from being on the bike, being at work is the closest thing I have to an escape.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Ian F said:
I know the feeling... I've been with my g/f for... damn... over 4 years now... It's to the point where I can't see myself without her... but at the same time, I'm quite happy to go home every night and sleep in my own bed.

There is this joke and I can't remember the comedian who tells it but he says that couples get married because they run of things to talk about. That way they get a whole new set of things to talk about.

Its funny and I always laugh at it but I know folks that its true and they are far from happy.

I don't mean to be critical but from your brief description if you run out of things to talk about keep your mouth shut.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
jacksonpt said:
that's not a good sign (duh)... same thing happens at my house.
Yep. Hence we aren't married and live in seperate houses. Despite the fact that her's is 20 miles closer to my work... :(

..and I soon as I try to discuss our relationship in any meaningful manner, she starts in with this, "you hate me..." b.s.
:mumble:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
jacksonpt said:
When life sucks the most, rather than going home and getting away from it for a few hours - being able to count on my wife for some stress free "at ease" time, it just gets worse. Aside from being on the bike, being at work is the closest thing I have to an escape.
Fortunately, our home life together isn't too bad. I go to her hosue and work on her cars. I like working on cars. So all is good. She buys cars (she has three) and I work on them. Matter of fact, I need to leave soon to install a new distributor in her Spitfire.

Some guys say, "I need to find a woman who rides..." Well, that doesn't always work either. I know of a few cycling marraiges that failed as well.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
DRB said:
I don't mean to be critical but from your brief description if you run out of things to talk about keep your mouth shut.
Trust me, I don't think you can be any mroe critical than I am of myself (or my parents...) regarding the matter...

Her parents? Sometimes I think they side with me... :think: ...it's strange...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
jacksonpt said:

Oh that sucks, that makes me sad:(

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Ian F said:

Heh, been there, was there, now, somewhere else... I'll let you know how it goes....

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
jacksonpt said:

Sorry to hear about that. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and make a decision for your own well being. No sense in being miserable if you do not have to be.