Quantcast

How to lower Argyle 318 to 70mm

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I just did this mod and had problems finding correct information on how to do it. So I figured it out and took some pix.

I took measurements on the fork and 70mm is as low as you can go before you begin to add spring preload to the fork whether you want it or not. 70mm just happens to be the perfect height for my needs.

First you need to disassemble the spring side (the side without the adjuster.) Catch the small amount of oil that comes out and dump it back into the fork when you put it back together. First remove the top cap with a socket. Pull the spring assembly out. Flip the fork over and loosen the silver bolt so you have 1/4 inch of threads showing, then rap on the bolt with a rubber mallet to knock the rest of the assembly loose. Remove the bolt and slide it out.

When you are done, you should have this:

In stock 100mm setup, there will be the white plastic piece at the top of the spring plus two preload disks. Put these in your parts bag in case you ever want to change your fork back to 100mm.

Here's the bits you will need:

• 1 or more 1 1/8" outer diameter thick nylon washers. You need at least 1 to keep the spring from eating into the top cap, add additional washers to add spring preload to the fork. (On right in photo)
• 1/2" inner diameter thick nylon spacers. Number will vary, you will want a total height of 30mm when they are stacked up. (Left in photo.)
Note that the washers and spacers are thick and heavy. This will all be supporting your weight so don't buy thin sh!t.

Here's where the spacers go:

The 1/2" inner dia spacers slide onto the bottom shaft between the black piece and the small spring. Install these, slide it back into the fork and bolt it down.
The big washer(s) go on top of the spring before you screw the top cap back on.

And that's it.