Quantcast

How to measure stuff

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I want some new bars for my 24 cruiser. As I'm ordering off the net,want to make sure i get it right. My own bars a pretty big for cruiser bars. I measure about 6.5. From bottom of bars to top. Or do you measure from center of bottom tube to top?
I want higher bars but not too high, see.
While I'm at it. How do you measure rear chain stays. Center of BB to end of drop out?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Bars should be from the center of the clamping area to the center of the tube where your grips are.
Your current bars are probably 5" rise.
Chainstay length is from the center of your hub to the center of your BB.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks. That makes sense. They look much smaller than the measurements I'm getting, compared to regular BMX bars

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
S&M Dive bars (6.75" rise) may be a good choice if you want taller cruiser bars that are not too tall that they wack out the feel of the bike.

http://www.danscomp.com/362021.php?cat=PARTS

Another option might be some kind of Race bar that is meant for a Junior/Ex size rider, like Crupi Moto 6.5 inch Bars:

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=850

Product Information

Lightweight aluminum expert bar with 6.5" rise and 26.25" width. Great bar for any expert / expert+ / pro size racing bikes. Works good on cruisers too.

Product Weight: 15.6 oz

Price: $49.95

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I was thinking of going for an Eastern 7 rise, 25 wide. I do want to feel the difference. And like i said, these are tall for cruiser bars. Re-meassured them and they are about 6' rise. But I still find it hard to get the front end up for hops and manuals.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I was thinking of going for an Eastern 7 rise, 25 wide. I do want to feel the difference. And like i said, these are tall for cruiser bars. Re-meassured them and they are about 6' rise. But I still find it hard to get the front end up for hops and manuals.
what bike are you on ? do you have room to move the back wheel more forward in the dropout ?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Shorter stays will probably do more for you than taller bars.... neither one will help all that much though. Keep practicing!

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
It's a Perv lewd. Quite a rare bike now as Perv have gone out of buisness. British company. Yes, I can move the rear wheel forward, and keep meaning to. There was another thread on this forum about guys putting taller bars onto cruisers, and most seemed to think it felt better.
I noticed some of the 2010 cruisers are coming stock with bigger bars. Saw the new S.E. So Cal flyer at the bike show. 7' by 28 bars. I think 28 is way to wide for me. Interesting though.
Yeah, I do need to practice , lol. Just can't seem to get manuals.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Try out the wide bars, you might like them. You can always cut them down later.
Manuals are a bitch.... been trying for years and still suck at them. :)