Quantcast

how to mount tuggnut

Monkey
SO I got a pair of surly tuggnuts since the wheel slip on my Chameleon with derailluer is driving me nuts. I mounted the brake side one no problem, but how do I mount the drive side with the insert that works as a derailluer hanger? :twitch: I really don't feel like going single speed right now since I like to climb a few hills that requires a few different gears. Help? :help:

PS I ride an 07 frame with the horizontal dropout, and an Azonic outlaw rear wheel with standard QR with older SHimano Derore derailleur.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
SO I got a pair of surly tuggnuts since the wheel slip on my Chameleon with derailluer is driving me nuts. I mounted the brake side one no problem, but how do I mount the drive side with the insert that works as a derailluer hanger? :twitch: I really don't feel like going single speed right now since I like to climb a few hills that requires a few different gears. Help? :help:

PS I ride an 07 frame with the horizontal dropout, and an Azonic outlaw rear wheel with standard QR with older SHimano Derore derailleur.
Doesn't the chameleon have an insert on both sides even if you're running gears? I'm looking at one right now and it has a black aluminum insert below the disc mount on the non drive side (hanger on the right) You should only need the tuggnuts if you're running SS.

Monkey
it does have the inserts. the reason why I'm looking to put the tuggnuts on is that the rear wheel keeps slipping to the left whenever apply brake, and I don't want to over torque the QR since down the road that will mess up the bearings in the rear hub. I tried moving the wheel forward and to the rear in the dropout but it just keeps shifting to the left.

Oct 9, 2006
I dont think you are going to kill the bearings by applying the proper amount of force to clamp the rear wheel in place...that is why wheels have axle bolts that set the bearing tension whether the wheels are on the bike or not. Go ahead an put you back into it and tighten down the quick release.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
agreed. Unless you can notice the wheel rotation slowing with friction or binding/crunching, tightening the QR adequately shouldn't be a problem. Just crank it down at least hard enough to see the QR logo/profile imprinted into the palm of your hand and see if it is causing any noticeable drag.