so, i´ve been working almost 5 years for a large company, which is a worldwide leader for its sector, although locally we are like 3rd/4th, due to lousy management basically. (my division seems, literally, to be taken from a dilbert episode). i´ve been promoted twice (plus one "unofficial" promotion, where i was given a whole lot more responsabilities for a little less money when i switched departments), thing is, i feel grossly underpaid for the position and title, considering i do a lot of different things, from managing a small group of people, to sales projections, costs control and overseas presentations on behalf of the company (as a "country manager", when i do not have the title). so, i started sniffing around for jobs in my industry 7 days ago. within 5 days, i was called by a headhunter asking for my $$$ requirements, and had another job interview with a company (small local company, which is like the 8th biggest player). i asked for twice what i making here. got a call today, saying they appreciate the time i took to interview with them, and while i fit the profile for the position, am out of their budget. they budget for the position is 30% more of what i make here (plus i get the "manager" title). i replied asking if they could raise their budget to 160% of my current salary. the general manager at the other place said, he would have to ask the owners for that, and would get back to me in a few days. now, i´d go from very stable, position in a 500+ employee (in the local branch) corporation to a 30 years old, family owned company with 40 employees; and for this risk, i consider twice the salary a good starting point. now, it seems my market value is at least 30% more of what am making here..... so maybe, considering i will not get a 100% raise, it be smarter to use the other´s company offer (30%+ more, and maybe even 40-60%) to leverage a raise in my company. now the question is.... how to approach the boss to leverage a raise? to complicate things, i have a business meeting in brazil in july, where i will meet all the country managers from south america, and a few japanese big suits. now, this is a meeting i´d pretty much like to attend, as i would network with all the country managers from the region, which would prove extremely useful in the next few years..... so, any job changes, would, ideally, be made after the end of july. leverage now for 50% more (and a better schedule and title), or wait a few weeks for more offers, and assuming i get a better one, then leverage when i do? or take the position? would it hurt me to leave the company 2 weeks after the bi-annual country manager´s meeting in brazil? (heck, i do not have the title, but i will go as country manager because there is nobody else at my company, not even my boss, with enough knowledge to go).