Quantcast

how to normalize mp3s?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I bought my wife an MP3 player for Mother's Day, and now the task of ripping our CDs begins. Anyone know of some good software for normalizing the files (making them all the same volume level)?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I haven't really had to normalize my MP3s, I find they have relatively the same volume.

I highly recommend Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) for ripping from CDs, since many of the faster rippers will leave your files with errors in them which can translate into some jarring little audio artifacts.

I've ripped about a hundred CDs and have not had any that really required adjustment to the recorded volumn.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ridemonkey said:
iTunes does that I believe.
I ripped a whole bunch of CDs through iTunes and ended up with a bunch of errors in my tracks. I ended up deleting everything and re-ripping it.

I think it depends partly on the quality/age of your CD burner, I've got a fairly cheap one from a few years ago - but EAC rips everything flawlessly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ridemonkey said:
iTunes does that I believe.
yup, the SoundCheck checkbox in iTunes does what the original poster is looking for. it doesn't modify the files, however, but rather adds a snippet of metadata that tells iTunes/iPod to adjust volume accordingly.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
replaygain does the same thing i believe.

BV, glad to see you are an EAC convert. :thumb:
Actually, I was using EAC back when it was a command line only program, still in development. Then I spent a long time without any CDs to rip (my collection was stolen). They've come a long way with it :thumb:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
narlus said:
replaygain does the same thing i believe.
Yes but the decoder has to be aware of the metadata and use it. AFAIK the only portables that do for mp3 are those that do software decoding running rockbox.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I just bought an Alpine headunit with wma/mp3 playback and it seems like when I read through the instruction manual there was a function on the headunit that will adjust the volume so that each track is the same. All my files are wma (I don't know why I picked wma but I've got more than a few gb now and I'm not going to change) I can't tell a difference in volume from album to album in the car, it may be different with mp3. The downside is that some times I switch to the radio and either get the doors blasted off (literally, I've got a loud system, I can't figure out why guys need dual 12" subs) or I switch to the radio and can't hear a thing.

I figure if car audio has firmware to normalize the volume, personal mp3 players can't be far behind. Volume correcting may become available with firmware upgrades to existing players.