Quantcast

How to pick a fisheye lens for my camera?

Wassobe

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
simsbury
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a fisheye lens for my digital camera I have, but not positive about which one to get/to make sure I'm getting once that will work how I want it.

First off, my camera is an Olympus C5060 Wide Zoom, 5 megapixels. The lens ( directly from Olympus site ) is an Olympus aspherical glass 4x zoom lens 5.7 – 22.8mm (27 – 110mm equivalent in 35mm photography). In order to mount any lenses I need a lens adaptor which I am going to buy. The threads on the end of that are 52mm I'm pretty sure.

The fisheye will be used strictly for bike pictures, and I won't be using the fisheye otherwise. I want to make sure the fisheye I get is a full-frame, unlike some others I have seen which make the pictures a circle inside a black box.

I don't want to spend very much, and I'm fine with buying one off of ebay as it seems to have some kickass deals on lenses/lens packages. I can't seem to find a package that has a fisheye lens also.

Can anyone help me figure out where to buy the lens, which lens to buy, and how to make sure it will be full-frame. The other thing is, which zoom do i want... .45x, .25x? Is .25x going to make my pictures seem too far away? Please help me out here, any links would be great. I'm looking to spend under $100.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I may be wrong...but if you dont have an SLR (Single lens reflex) camera...its impossible to get a "true" fish-eye...

again, could be wrong...but for comparison sake, the cheapest fish-eye I've been able to find for my Canon is about $400-500. And thats for what I would consider a TRUE fish-eye. (one without the black rings on the outside...and just distortion instead)