Quantcast

how to pimp my website on the intarweb???

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so, once again, i bow to the gods of ridemonkey tech support and binary visions to ask...

so, i have a website that i want to pimp the max.
i´ve been checking out search engine submitting sites.. google seems to use a pay per click scheme, yahoo charges 300 bucks a year for directory listings, and msn charges 49 bucks for submitting my website to search engines, and a handful other shady websites offer whoring my site to the entire intarweb for 49 bucks a month.

since i´ve never done this before, i ask for guides and advice. whats good and whats not? whats the most efficient way??
the yahoo directory listing seems good.
but i also want this website to appear on the top search results for a few given keywords...

i´ve read you can associate stuff on google or yahoo, and bump your site to the top of the search results.. how do i do that??
how can i whore my site to as many search engines as posible? any company that does that and is not so shady?? how can i get banners and the like on other sites?

thanks...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
don't try to game the system, because if google smells something fishy then you'll be dumped to the 25th page of the results... high rankings come when other highly ranked sites link to yours.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Directory listing services are good and save you a lot of time. That's always a good way to get your name on the search engines.

The best way to pimp your site is to get other sites to link to yours. As Toshi already said, it'll improve your search results, but in general, it'll improve traffic, get some word of mouth results out there, etc. Email a webmaster for a related site and ask if they want to do a link exchange - you'll post their link, they'll post yours.

Content and word of mouth is still king of website promotion for personal sites - you'll get more traffic (and more importantly, repeat traffic) with good content than any good listings. Look at some of the more popular blog sites out there - one good piece of content, and if you make a cameo in one of their blog posts, it'll probably kill your server with all of the traffic.

For business sites, find sites like Ridemonkey and find out how much a banner ad will cost you, or other similar businesses to do link exchanges.

What kind of site is it? Link?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
Directory listing services are good and save you a lot of time. That's always a good way to get your name on the search engines.

The best way to pimp your site is to get other sites to link to yours. As Toshi already said, it'll improve your search results, but in general, it'll improve traffic, get some word of mouth results out there, etc. Email a webmaster for a related site and ask if they want to do a link exchange - you'll post their link, they'll post yours.

Content and word of mouth is still king of website promotion for personal sites - you'll get more traffic (and more importantly, repeat traffic) with good content than any good listings. Look at some of the more popular blog sites out there - one good piece of content, and if you make a cameo in one of their blog posts, it'll probably kill your server with all of the traffic.

For business sites, find sites like Ridemonkey and find out how much a banner ad will cost you, or other similar businesses to do link exchanges.

What kind of site is it? Link?

its a business site.
http://www.answerkwik.com

its still on the works, there are quite a lot of details to do, check the spelling/grammar of the page, and several other things, and since the owners are a bunch of cheap asses, it may take a few weeks until they pony up for a decent webpage.

if anybody has time to proof read, it would be nice.

the yahoo directory listing, definately sounds like a good idea. but i also want to get into google, altavista, msn...

i was wondering how effective is that yahoo "sponsored result" thing.
or how i get more traffic, not lurker traffic like ridemonkey, but traffic from people looking for specific companies that offer the same service.
somehow, people have already reached that draft page, and contacted us.. we´ve made 2 new clients in the last 10 days from the website... so we are trying to get more traffic.....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
make sure to check it in all browsers. things look funky on Safari (which is KHTML/konquerer [sp?] at its core).

my recommendation: buy some google adwords

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
Toshi said:
make sure to check it in all browsers. things look funky on Safari (which is KHTML/konquerer [sp?] at its core).

my recommendation: buy some google adwords
I wouldn't worry about making it compatible with every browser. I'm sure there's quite a few sites that aren't coded for konquerer. I'd kill myself if I had to code for every possible browser. Then again, I am lazy:)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Stumbleupon is a good program for 'word of mouth' advertising. it is a toolbar that works with Firefox & IE.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Dont pay for ANY directory or web submission tools. Search engines are free. Only the sponsored link programs cost money. There are only 2 places to purchase sponsored links: Google and Yahoo. All other programs are scams or will not perform.

Long term - create a search engine friendly site, build your incoming links and be patient.

Short term - purchase sponsored links.