Quantcast

How To Remove a wheel BOOT from your car

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

Originally Posted by Smokinsax
Damn...didnt think it would turn into a 7 page thread!!!!
O.K. here's the story. Last night I was trying to sleep, just tossing and turning and couldnt stop thinking about this damn thing. "What am I going to do!?!?!" I search the net for a good couple of hours not really finding what I needed. I didnt even know what the damn thing was called so at about 1:30 a.m. I got my ass up and took a pencil and paper over there to get a better look at the damn thing and write some info down about it. (When I first discovered it on there I was so pissed I just left and didnt even inspect it) I wrote down a few things like the name of it, ect...

Then I wanted to get a good look at the rod that went through the tire. I looked at the inside of the wheel and noticed there wasnt a rod that went through at all...just a hook that grabbed the inside of the rim. SWEET!!! or so I thouhgt. I reach around and grap that big circular pad and pulled it back a bit, and it felt like it could just slip right off...no go, almost, but no matter how hard I pulled the **** it wouldnt budge!

BUT...i had an idea. I needed a buddy to help.

I could pull the pad away just far enough to get OEM lug wrench in there and unbolt the rim from the hub!!!! TAH DAH!!!!!!

threw the spare on and said PEACE BEEATCH!

FLAME AWAY

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, except paying the fine probably would have been less than the wheel, tire, and labor will cost him... :rolleyes:

edit: Beaten by the Chief Monkey himself...

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
That reminds me. I lost the keys to the case-hardened locks on my shed. I rented a gigantic set of bold cutters and the result was I returned the cutters with a series of deep notches in the blade. What the hell does it take to cut locks like these?

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i had one of those on my van....but i didn't see it...so i just started to drive....and it broke off. True story.
kai-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ridemonkey said:
That reminds me. I lost the keys to the case-hardened locks on my shed. I rented a gigantic set of bold cutters and the result was I returned the cutters with a series of deep notches in the blade. What the hell does it take to cut locks like these?
They sell hacksaw blades specifically designed to cut case hardened locks.

I think they sell case hardened bolt cutters, too, which will do it...

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Ridemonkey said:
my big muscles....and a torch

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
binary visions said:
I think they sell case hardened bolt cutters, too, which will do it...
i own a pair of 32" snap on case hardened bolt cutters and they still get chewed up on that stuff...they just make the rest of the stuff i cut feel like warm butter.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ridemonkey said:
LOL - does it cost more to pay the fine than to replace the wheel/tire?
Personally having a similar thing happen to me where a security tag was left on a shirt I purchased, I just brought it to the basement and took it apart.In this case i would have tossed the whole thing in my back seat and had a friend with a torch cut it off when I got home. It's got nothing to do with money at that point, just sticking it to THE MAN.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ridemonkey said:
Just cut the shed latch. It's easy/cheap enough to replace.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm interested to know why his car got the boot put on it.

Judging by the looks of that car, I am guessing he can replace the wheel/tire with a used one for relatively cheap. And I hope he didn't just leave the wheel and boot on the ground like that. I would have kept it....just because. :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Don't they record the serial number of the boot and the tag number? And then hunt you down like a dog in the street when you decide to get jiggy with their boot.

That's not from personal experience or anything... :mumble:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
stosh said:
Just cut the shed latch. It's easy/cheap enough to replace.
My 1st thought too. Depending on the design, you may be able to pop the latch off or drill out its fasteners w/out any real damage.

And yes, this is a good opportunity to find out how secure your shed really is (if it matters to you).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
I'm interested to know why his car got the boot put on it.

Judging by the looks of that car, I am guessing he can replace the wheel/tire with a used one for relatively cheap. And I hope he didn't just leave the wheel and boot on the ground like that. I would have kept it....just because. :D
The funny part is that it's a pretty heavy duty crime to remove or defeat one of those boots, and the guy's license plate is probably written down somewhere. My guess is he'll be receiving a very large fine in the mail within the next couple weeks...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
The funny part is that it's a pretty heavy duty crime to remove or defeat one of those boots, and the guy's license plate is probably written down somewhere. My guess is he'll be receiving a very large fine in the mail within the next couple weeks...
I think it's just at a college. Either way glad it's him and not me!! Funny none-the-less.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stosh said:
Personally having a similar thing happen to me where a security tag was left on a shirt I purchased, I just brought it to the basement and took it apart.In this case i would have tossed the whole thing in my back seat and had a friend with a torch cut it off when I got home. It's got nothing to do with money at that point, just sticking it to THE MAN.
Yeah! Stick it to The Man! Fight the power, yo.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I Are Baboon said:
I have never been booted, but yeah, I'd throw on a spare and take the whole thing home with me where I could remove the lock w/o damaging the boot. How cool would it be to have your own boot? :thumb: I'd carry it around with me in case someone stole my parking spot-

You're gonna steal my spot after I've obviously been waiting right here for it? No problem; I'll calmly drive off for five minutes then come back with a boot for your car while you're inside. Then later on that night, after the idiot has been inconvenienced and if the car is still there, I can retrieve my boot and replace it with a big BM hood ornament.

I have done similar things before. I once got locked into a park after the rangers closed up shop a half hour earlier than posted. I simply got the bolt-cutters out of my tool bag, cut the fence lock and installed my own lock. I wonder how they ever opened the gate the next day or got out later on that night.

I also have been known to install trak-auto locking gas caps onto the cars of those who cross me, obviously w/o their knowledge or approval. You then apply superglue to the key, push it into the lock and snap the handle right off.

Another time, I got blocked into a parking lot by one of those huge commuter vans in D.C. while I was fishing. I simply put my bottle jack under the vans axle, jacked it all the way up, and pushed the van to the side, tipping it off the jack and moving it over 6" at a time. Yeah, it took me a half hour, but I was able to get my truck out of the lot and I left the commuter van with it's front end sticking way out into traffic. I'd be surprised if the D.C. police didn't have it towed before the evening rush hour started.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
llkoolkeg said:
I have never been booted, but yeah, I'd throw on a spare and take the whole thing home with me where I could remove the lock w/o damaging the boot. How cool would it be to have your own boot? :thumb: I'd carry it around with me in case someone stole my parking spot-...
Dang... remind me to never steal your parking spot! Vigilante justice!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
llkoolkeg said:
I have never been booted, but yeah, I'd throw on a spare and take the whole thing home with me where I could remove the lock w/o damaging the boot. How cool would it be to have your own boot? :thumb: I'd carry it around with me in case someone stole my parking spot-

You're gonna steal my spot after I've obviously been waiting right here for it? No problem; I'll calmly drive off for five minutes then come back with a boot for your car while you're inside. Then later on that night, after the idiot has been inconvenienced and if the car is still there, I can retrieve my boot and replace it with a big BM hood ornament.

I have done similar things before. I once got locked into a park after the rangers closed up shop a half hour earlier than posted. I simply got the bolt-cutters out of my tool bag, cut the fence lock and installed my own lock. I wonder how they ever opened the gate the next day or got out later on that night.

I also have been known to install trak-auto locking gas caps onto the cars of those who cross me, obviously w/o their knowledge or approval. You then apply superglue to the key, push it into the lock and snap the handle right off.

Another time, I got blocked into a parking lot by one of those huge commuter vans in D.C. while I was fishing. I simply put my bottle jack under the vans axle, jacked it all the way up, and pushed the van to the side, tipping it off the jack and moving it over 6" at a time. Yeah, it took me a half hour, but I was able to get my truck out of the lot and I left the commuter van with it's front end sticking way out into traffic. I'd be surprised if the D.C. police didn't have it towed before the evening rush hour started.
One time I got locked in a park after it was closed with my truck. Then I got stuck in the mud with my truck trying to find another way out. So I had to steal a front end loader to get my truck out.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey, I found the original thread online. :D

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1143995

Here is what I gathered by briefly looking at the thread:

It's a college parking lot. The guy left the boot so he would not charged for stealing it. Someone on the forum ratted him out to campus police via e-mail. Campus police found the guy and fined him a measly $200. Forum members have threatened to kill the narc if his identity is revealed.

(LOL)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
llkoolkeg said:

So angry for a stoner....... :D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
DRB said:
So angry for a stoner....... :D
I know, I know- I've got issues.

Man, I can't get over how cool it would be to have your own boot. Then again, if the offending person had slotted, vented or mag wheels, you could do the same thing with a cable lock. You could even add extra padlocks around the cable so that if they tried to drive off, they would beat the $hit out of the tires and wheel wells. Hmmmmmmm...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
llkoolkeg said:

Man, I can't get over how cool it would be to have your own boot. Then again, if the offending person had slotted, vented or mag wheels, you could do the same thing with a cable lock. You could even add extra padlocks around the cable so that if they tried to drive off, they would beat the $hit out of the tires and wheel wells. Hmmmmmmm...
One of my high school teachers had his own boot. He used to hold other teachers' cars hostage when he wanted something from them... And every year, on April 1st, a random car got the boot. There was no way of predicting who'd get it, but it was inevitable.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Around here there are only 2 ways to get booted. 1 being your car is in a tow zone, and they cant tow it for whatever reason due to the type of car, or 2 you have several thousands ($2000+) in backed parking tickets. And i'm pretty sure if you get booted in chicago you cant get the boot off until all backed tickets are payed off. If you do decide to find a way to get it off, next time the city finds it they bring it straight to the impound.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
llkoolkeg said:

LOL! Or you could install a cable long enough to tie the wheel secretly to the exhaust pipe or maybe the driveshaft. Then you could conceal the cable under the car so they drive off either tearing the exhaust off or jacking up the U joints or worse.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
golgiaparatus said:
LOL! Or you could install a cable long enough to tie the wheel secretly to the exhaust pipe or maybe the driveshaft. Then you could conceal the cable under the car so they drive off either tearing the exhaust off or jacking up the U joints or worse.
lame... Just hook your 12000lbs winch on your F350 up to the tow points on the rear of their car and start a yanking, in a matter of seconds you'll have killed the tranny or driveshaft couplings :thumb:

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
well if you're gonna go with a winch, I would break out the drivers window and use it to pull the seats through. probably messier

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Curb Hucker said:
lame... Just hook your 12000lbs winch on your F350 up to the tow points on the rear of their car and start a yanking, in a matter of seconds you'll have killed the tranny or driveshaft couplings :thumb:
HEY! Dont call my idea lame... :p Some people dont drive F350s :monkey:... Though my Hundai might look sweet with a winch on it :think:

EDIT: God that pink smiley is gay, whose idea was that crap...

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I got locked on some lumber companies property while hunting ,I was 78 miles from home no cell phones worked so I went to their yard found a chain and hooked it up to my truck and snapped the lock right off :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: ,btw I kept the chain for them locking me in :p :p :p :p :p

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ridemonkey said:
LOL - does it cost more to pay the fine than to replace the wheel/tire?

Depends.... I had over $1000 in tickets when I first moved to SF.
I figured that DE tags would save me. It didn't. They towed me. I paid $1000 in fines, and then sold the car for $1500.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Curb Hucker said:
This is why I park in neutral with the parking break set... I have heard of too many stories like this. or having someone hit your parked car at a decent speed. Hope its not in park, bye bye tranny.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I would steal the boot and give 'em the runaround. They deserve it. THen when they got me I wouldn't say ****, and ask for an attorney.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I remember watching some movie where this guy parked in a spot and put a fake boot on his wheel so a cop wouldnt put a real one on it. thats a good idea.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Ridemonkey said:
An air Die Grinder with a cabon "zip" wheel will go right thru that. I used to work for an aution house that used to repo storage units. Well that and I do dabble in metal once and awhile. :thumb:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Steal the boot, cut the lock, get your own lock and than put that thing on the next meter-maid car you find parked around campus. Wipe your fingerprints off and say you never even knew that the car was booted and you thought someone just stole your wheel, must have been a practical joke.