Quantcast

How to remove Giant Linkages when they are all stripped! (involves power tools)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
So all the bolts were stripped, and the Helicoils were shot to hell. Damn, i dont know why they just didnt make these links out of steel, then this whole thing probably never would have stripped. And the other bolts stripped because when it was put together massive ammounts of lock tite were involved. So my only option was to cut a link!!!

I supposed i could have pounded them out, but i didnt feel like risking bending the rear triangle tabs.

Here is the cut link.... i used a hack saw and dremel tool :think:

Once it was cut, the linkage just poped right out with not tools. They were really stripped completely.

How stripped?

Its a bad photo but that spring steel wrapped around it is (was) the heli coil. :dead:

Now i just have to pop the spring steel clip and push out those old bearings and install the new ones! :rolleyes: Cost me 150 bucks :mad: :nopity:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Is this part of the frame you painted?
I think the mods should change your custom title to "Earl Scheib"

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ciaran said:
Is this part of the frame you painted?
I think the mods should change your custom title to "Earl Scheib"
Who is that?

Actually, I am just painting the front triangle, as i cannot afford to void the warranty if the rear triangle were to break. If the front triangle broke, they wouldnt warranty it any way because it has a big dent in it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mack said:
Who is that?

Actually, I am just painting the front triangle, as i cannot afford to void the warranty if the rear triangle were to break. If the front triangle broke, they wouldnt warranty it any way because it has a big dent in it.
Maybe he's just a west coast thing... "I'll paint any car, any color for 99.99" Oh well, had you known who he was it would have been funny. I should research my jokes better.

J

JRB

Don't ever ride this frame again, Mack. I like you and don't want to see you hurt. I hope dents don't void warranties. I found a big one in my down tube the other day. I shall ride on though.

Grimey2

Chimp
Feb 26, 2005
Doesn't Giant offer lifetime warranty on everything now? They are usually generous with their warranties. Are you the orginal owner? Do you have a reciept?

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Giant is VERY generous on warranties. Just take it to a reputable dealer and i would bet they would be able to get you a brand new frame. Giant is an easy company to deal with warranty stuff.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
loco said:
I hope dents don't void warranties. I found a big one in my down tube the other day. I shall ride on though.
A dent in your downtube won't affect the structural integrity of the tube. When you're on your bike, the downtube is under tension (being pulled on at each end), so a dent won't make any difference.

J

JRB

dexterq20 said:
When you're on your bike, the downtube is under tension (being pulled on at each end), so a dent won't make any difference.
True - I wasn't too worried. I see peeps replace frames, and it is just going to happen again. I'll worry when it's a hole.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
We had Earl in Michigan.............

-S.S.-
Cool. Then it's not me... Mack is just too young to remember Earl... I still think Earl Scheib should be his custom title... it's even funnier since he doesn't know who Earl Scheib is.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ciaran said:
Cool. Then it's not me... Mack is just too young to remember Earl... I still think Earl Scheib should be his custom title... it's even funnier since he doesn't know who Earl Scheib is.
I know Earl, and I'm 17.

You're forgetting, Mack lives in a cave. I highly doubt he can get a warrantee replacement now that he's veritably raped his frame....oh well...

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I used to work at a Giant dealer and it would be easy to warranty that frame. If he is a customer in good standing and explained the situation as he has getting a new frame would be no problem. We would just tell them that the linkage is a piece of **** that strippped causing damage to the threads that are part of the frame. 2 days later we would have a new frame ande I would get to take a sawzall to the old one. I miss working in bike shops.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
CRAP.

This is getting worse every day. Not only did i now find out that the frame could have been warrantied, but now i have to press out the old bearings. GAR.

And when i took the frame to the Giant Dealer this ****ing prick didnt even mention warranty, and proceeded to charge me 150 bucks for a ****ing linkage kit! WITHOUT LABOR>

This leaves me at home trying to install it. damnit.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Got the OLD bearing out, had to buy a big C clamp to press em out, and got the new ones in. Now just need to put it all back together :thumb: