Quantcast

How To: Removing Bearings from e13 Reducers Cups

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
So I guess a few of you have encounter this problems, how the hell can I remove my busted bearings out of my reducer cups. I thought about it for a while and finally it struct me. It is oh so simple.

The only things you need is a 1'' Socket, your 2 reducer cups & a bench vise.

Then you place your socket in one of the reducer cup so the socket sits only on the bearings, while stacking the other cup on top of the first one and then you put everything in the bench vise like in the following picture.

(I know I have a beaten up bench vise)

Now, you slowly apply pressure with the vise until the bearing pops out of the reducer. Et voilà!!!

Now swap the reducer and you know the rest of the story.
Its like bananas.

You are now able to change your bearings without sacrifying, hurting or destroying your reducer cups.

CAUTION! I don't know if it can happen, it didn't in my case, but this action could have the effect of popping out the inner race of the bearings and the bearings, leaving you with the outer race of the bearing stuck in the reducer cup.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
CAUTION! I don't know if it can happen, it didn't in my case, but this action could have the effect of popping out the inner race of the bearings and the bearings, leaving you with the outer race of the bearing stuck in the reducer cup.
Ive seen a few examples of people putting a couple small notches in the inner lip of the cup so that you can get a screwdriver blade in there to tap out the stuck race. Ive always thought of doing it, but always space when build time comes. On the flip side, if the race does get stuck, its pretty easy to dremmel a notch in the lip, or even just buz out the old race. I did it once and it had no effect on the cups...

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Anyone ever tired to remove just a lower bearing race from the E13 reducer cup?

I have one stuck right now. Looks like a dremel is going to be my only choice at this point. I might also try to stick it in the freezer too..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yup, that happens.

Dremel gets it. Plus you have notches for future use.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just removed my bearings this weekend with a dremel, started to notch the reduction cup but bailed on that effort, it seems useless.

I just cut the bearing in half with the tool (it just leaves a small mark on the reduction cup if you careful). After cutting it, hit the edge in ward with a screwdriver and the whole thing popped out.

Greased the sides of the cups then tapped the new bearing set in with a rubber mallet, worked like a charm. The whole job took about 15 min.

just an fyi

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
Just put them in the oven until they heat up a bit. Ally expands more than steel meaning the bearings become loos and can easily be squeezed out!