Quantcast

how to repair a titanium frame in SoCal

jej

Chimp
Feb 1, 2005
SD, So cal
I'm looking for titanium welder (not too expensive). I have a crack on a titanium frame and I' d like to find a place in So cal where I could fix it.
Thanks

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm looking for titanium welder (not too expensive).
Good luck. Ti isn't the easiest metal to weld, and it likely won't be a cheap repair job because of it.

As for doing any welding on a ti frame, I wouldn't visit anyone other than a frame builder with ti experience. You might be able to find a machine shop or someone else who has the equip to handle ti, but they may not have the expertise to keep your frame in alignment.

The only ti builder I know of NEAR the So Cal area is Kish in San Luis Obispo, but I can't guarantee that he'd take on a repair job. Russ Denny is near Temecula, but I believe he does most of his work with aluminum.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Actually, Ti is about the same to weld as steel (there might be different shielding considerations), but producing the raw material itself costs a lot, therefore increasing the cost of frames and possibly repairs. I'd call around the area, but the only place you'll be assured a good fix is a company that builds Ti frames ($).

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Actually, Ti is about the same to weld as steel (there might be different shielding considerations), but producing the raw material itself costs a lot, therefore increasing the cost of frames and possibly repairs. I'd call around the area, but the only place you'll be assured a good fix is a company that builds Ti frames ($).
Actually Ti is much harder to weld. You have to be a $hit ton more careful the welds are clean, even a small amount of contamination can lead to a weld failure.

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
If you know of people building race cars, I would ask them. I know they have excellent fabricators that can weld that stuff, or know people that can. I think Swift Racing is in San Clemente...they build a lot of the Indy cars. Also Rod Millen builds race cars in Huntington Beach. I knew a fabricator at Millens shop that did a lot of Ti work that looked awesome. I'm pretty sure the fumes from welding Ti are extremely toxic...make sure your welder is aware of that.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
All of the Ti I see welded is done inside a purged enclouser.
I've got a guy that does lots of it for aerospace. Let me know the size of your frame and I'll see if it will fit. It won't be cheep though.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
I work at "millen's shop" or formally known as millenworks. Which fabricator do you know? We are located in Tustin now, by the way.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
What's up beotch? So, ya think you're smarter huh? Wanna do the man dance? haha, later.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
thats good to hear. just let him fix, don't let him do any mods too it

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
I work at "millen's shop" or formally known as millenworks. Which fabricator do you know? We are located in Tustin now, by the way.
I was there in 2000. I remember a guy named Chris that fabricated an entire quad. He was showing me a Ti brake pedal that he made...