Quantcast

How TO ride a bike

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Its difficult for me to agree with kidwoo more.

Also, I 100% agree, the DH clips of Nico at the start were >>> then the xc stuff. I found myself skipping and didn't even finish. It was a 5 minute video. It shouldn't have had that much trouble holding my attention.

I get all the racers are stoked on enduro, because it encapsulates mountain biking really well, and you gotta be good for all of it, but as a spectator, I would not bother to attend/watch/pay anysortofmoney if it was anything other then in my back yard. I hope it takes over from what is XC right now, and bike handling skills become as important as fitness, but yeah, watching that enduro video was not half as fun as watching bernat guardia or whatever his name is tear that trail a new one in that video you posted about "how not to ride a mountain bike"

Just sayin.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Also, I 100% agree, the DH clips of Nico at the start were >>> then the xc stuff. I found myself skipping and didn't even finish. It was a 5 minute video. It shouldn't have had that much trouble holding my attention.

I get all the racers are stoked on enduro, because it encapsulates mountain biking really well, and you gotta be good for all of it, but as a spectator, I would not bother to attend/watch/pay anysortofmoney if it was anything other then in my back yard. I hope it takes over from what is XC right now, and bike handling skills become as important as fitness, but yeah, watching that enduro video was not half as fun as watching bernat guardia or whatever his name is tear that trail a new one in that video you posted about "how not to ride a mountain bike"

Just sayin.
I would rather be at Hangtown this weekend watching them slam through the 3 plus foot whoops in 3rd gear pinned and do it for 20 plus consecutive laps than stand on the side of a DH trail to watch a guy go by for 4 seconds. Just saying.... I have spent a crapload of time on mountain side shooting races the lag time in a MTB race is insane injury oh crap that pushes the race back at least one hour. An MX race they pull em off course and keep going.... The enduro is okay I have no issues with it and Nico has 10 sets of rainbow stripes to say he is the best ever....

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Just sayin.
come on, the whole thing is ad puffery for how totally sweet bro all the new sram stuff is, that's totally blacker than their last stanchion coating which was black which marzocchi has been using for years but is totally different and more black. The catch is that after you sit through it, you get to see an extremely talented bike rider ride his bike. Sorry he didn't skid more, I'm sure you can find some guy in the PNW to just lock up his rear tire and drag it down an entire trail for you.

As for enderpo, if more mountain biking pseudo-celebs sign up, I'm all for it. I find it pretty ridiculous as the whole concept of DH was that by eliminating the climbing you get to ride the fun bits more, and if you're climbing, then you're really just riding cross country....just maybe not in spandex. I think the biggest enderpo allure is that you can bring races to areas that don't have lift access in the summer. Southern mountain ranges or random areas that nobody has ridden before. Once you start racing at mountains where the lifts are still turning, I guess I just don't get it.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'd probably watch Nico ride a boogie board down a stairwell, and the last couple UCI DH World Cups I attended didn't have an entrance fee, but hey, I guess someone's more frugal than I am.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Now I get it. I didn't hear a word the guy said for that first minute. Wow.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I would rather be at Hangtown this weekend watching them slam through the 3 plus foot whoops in 3rd gear pinned and do it for 20 plus consecutive laps than stand on the side of a DH trail to watch a guy go by for 4 seconds. Just saying.... I have spent a crapload of time on mountain side shooting races the lag time in a MTB race is insane injury oh crap that pushes the race back at least one hour. An MX race they pull em off course and keep going.... The enduro is okay I have no issues with it and Nico has 10 sets of rainbow stripes to say he is the best ever....
I agree 100%, minus the last sentence. It's not okay. Let's stop pretending it's something that it's not. It's just a joke series for washed up DH riders. I propose calling it "Farm League" instead of "Enduro".

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
What's wrong with enduro? I feel like there's some hate train I should be hitching a ride on.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Just when I thought the internet couldnt get any more retarted.
People start hating on mountainbiking, on a mountainbike forum.

I am seriously at a loss of words.
Because it's the same dozen smug blowhards trying to replicate what they read on TeamRobot. It's funny when that blog does it, but its tired borrowed fassad when regurgitated on here. Who can post the fastest to come off like they care the least? No one here is above riding bicycles, so for****sake, stop pretending to be.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hay guize... enderpo was clearly designed for retired downhillers to have something to race until they can are able to race masters class.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I agree 100%, minus the last sentence. It's not okay. Let's stop pretending it's something that it's not. It's just a joke series for washed up DH riders. I propose calling it "Farm League" instead of "Enduro".
"Enduro" is how I have been riding MTB's since the 80's I just call it MTB riding. This may shock you but like 15 years ago you used to actually have to be able to ride a MTB to win an XC even. They were not done on SUPERHIGHWAY fireroads with one small tech dowhnill that went for 20 feet and featured 4 rocks. I again blame USAC=Retards and the Roadies running it.

So Enduro is like the 40-50 somethings going back to college to learn a new skill.....? For DH Pro's...

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You tools missed the other great reason to watch that video besides his precision riding.

The extent his mechanics went to just to "fine tune" his wheels after every couple runs when he was racing DH. The level of mechanical tuning precision he and his handlers took DH racing to was simply absurd.

I doubt there is EVER that much thought put into any single DH rider and equipment to this very day.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeesh. I guess some people just hate anything that starts getting popular and hyped, even if it is the very thing they actually do most of the time they go for a mountain bike ride.

Don't like enduro? Don't watch the videos, and don't enter the races.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You tools missed the other great reason to watch that video besides his precision riding.

The extent his mechanics went to just to "fine tune" his wheels after every couple runs when he was racing DH. The level of mechanical tuning precision he and his handlers took DH racing to was simply absurd.

I doubt there is EVER that much thought put into any single DH rider and equipment to this very day.
Everybody's trying for stiffer wheels, when the fastest guy at the time was running the lowest spoke tension he could muster. Sunn was really pushing the boundaries of technology.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Because it's the same dozen smug blowhards trying to replicate what they read on TeamRobot. It's funny when that blog does it, but its tired borrowed fassad when regurgitated on here. Who can post the fastest to come off like they care the least? No one here is above riding bicycles, so for****sake, stop pretending to be.
You smokin da crack?

You do realize that most of us were smug assholes when 'team robot' was still a pile of hinges in a diaper right? Like literally patrick and chazz were IN DIAPERS when we discovered how stupid the mountain bike industry is.

From my bmx bike in junior high, I looked at this pic.

And said, "oh yeah, I'm gonna have a good time with this one"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
3-D Violet!

Back to Nico, it's cool to see how early he sets the front wheel down as compared to "normal" riders, both in the old DH and current trail riding footage.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
3-D Violet!

Back to Nico, it's cool to see how early he sets the front wheel down as compared to "normal" riders, both in the old DH and current trail riding footage.
In every video I feel like you can watch him pump off EVERYTHING. It's probably from his BMX experience that lets him view everything as the backside of a transition or roller.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
LoL at all the Enduro haters. DH biking is not as bad-ass as you'd like to think.
DH is undisputably the most badass, hardcore motherfvcking thing that has ever happened on two wheels in the history of ever. It has its roots in chariot racing with fireballs getting thrown at dragons with spears sticking out your eyballs.

Everything else is just killing time until you get back on your dh bike and crush the steepest nasitest trails that make even eagles rope down.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
DH is undisputably the most badass, hardcore motherfvcking thing that has ever happened on two wheels in the history of ever. It has its roots in chariot racing with fireballs getting thrown at dragons with spears sticking out your eyballs.

Everything else is just killing time until you get back on your dh bike and crush the steepest nasitest trails that make even eagles rope down.
somebody might wanna get a fire extinguisher... 'woo is on fire today

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Is all this just because the Europeans did the frist stage races and got to name it "Enduro", and the 'muricans are pissed because they are late to the game and didn't get to name it something like "Super D"?

PS - It's got to be called something, right?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is all this just because the Europeans did the frist stage races and got to name it "Enduro", and the 'muricans are pissed because they are late to the game and didn't get to name it something like "Super D"?

PS - It's got to be called something, right?
secret: I don't think anyone is actually pissed about anything

In fact, over half the population is pretty much of the opinion that this format is what xc racing should have been all along.

What's FUNNY however is that the name for a race format is being used describe just riding down a trail when there's no race involved. You can race an enduro. But 'riding enduro' is just pathetically hilarious. That's not pissed, that's finding a really funny joke that half the bike industry apparently doesn't get and are deservedly the butt of the joke.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

you can't expect something interesting and informative to make it through to rage filled minds. don't forget - enduro hate overrides all...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If anyone needs more evidence that 'Woo wins the internet, notice that he celebrates No Pants Day FROM HIS PANTS. All hail his immeasurable talent!

I disagree that enduro is what people want XC to be. You are not competing on the climbs in an enduro race, and that will always be critical part of XC. Sure, XC should have better trails but that won't make it enduro.

Anyway, the micro-niche-ification and all the related terminology is kind of silly, but I think it's cool that there is a format tailored to the kind of riding a lot of people do anyway. I don't race much but for those who want to, what's the problem? There have always been experiments in race format, and I hope it continues.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anyway, the micro-niche-ification and all the related terminology is kind of silly, but I think it's cool that there is a format tailored to the kind of riding a lot of people do anyway. I don't race much but for those who want to, what's the problem? There have always been experiments in race format, and I hope it continues.
Yeah man, with all the silly ideas that have happened with trail bikes over the last few years (seriously, what's that 4-up gated uphill shlt?), I hope the enduro one sticks. SuperD is a cool idea but dammit......there's bltches in my WAY!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
at first this thread was funny, but now it's all like, wtf?!?!?!

anyways, I'm also quite curious about the flexy wheels thing Nico talked about in the video. I guess I just assumed that stiffer was better, since everyone seems to be talking about how great the stiffness of carbon rims is. Even today he's not going after the stiffest wheel, he says he's looking for balance and a bit of deflection, but not too much caus' you still have to climb up, and the wheels have to survive several days worth of riding....

In the end, I just feel relieved I don't have to buy Enve rims anymore in my quest for the best rim possible. Nico says flexy wheels are good, so it must be true. Thanks Nico! (also, thanks for the awesome riding. it's always a pleasure to watch him ride)