Quantcast

How TO ride a bike

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I guess I wonder where people are getting the added sales figures from endurbro from? I mean, most people probably already have an enderbro ready bike...it's called a trailbike. I thought that was kind of the idea. I figure the only people who are going to get rich are the helmet makers, because you totally can't wear an XC lid with extended back protection for endyrbro, you need to have a gold spray painted XC rated lid with extended back protection designed specifically for endarbro. Any 4-6" travel trail bike is probably going to be just fine for endirbro racing...the only people going out and buying endxrbo specific bikes are the same people that buy a new 29 pound session every year to match the latest colourwase.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
secret: I don't think anyone is actually pissed about anything

In fact, over half the population is pretty much of the opinion that this format is what xc racing should have been all along.
EXACTLY. Enduro should replace XC. Instead it seems to be replacing a lot of DH riding/racing.

I'm mostly not that angry. But I'm also slightly actually angry when all my DH buddies sell their DH rigs to buy "enduro" bikes because it's the new cool thing.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I own a '04 Specialized Enduro Pro... and apparently the "new thing" is riding/racing enduro. So, does that make my bike a hipster since it was enduro before enduro was cool???

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I own a '04 Specialized Enduro Pro... and apparently the "new thing" is riding/racing enduro. So, does that make my bike a hipster since it was enduro before enduro was cool???
I had a first gen one in 2000 (the one with fenders for some reason). I bought it WHILE touring the continental divide route where I not only climbed the continental divide several times a week, I enjoyed the 50lb bob trailer fueled descents that only celebratory whiskey shots at 11k can provide.

I'm more enduro than all you bltches.

Seriously though. It's just a matter of time before specialized has some ad out claiming 'ever since we invented enduro in 2000'

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
But I'm also slightly actually angry when all my DH buddies sell their DH rigs to buy "enduro" bikes because it's the new cool thing
That's messed up. People should not be able to make those choices for themselves. Every gravity rider needs a dedicated trail/enduro/all mountain bike IN ADDITION to a full-on World Cup DH bike, not instead of a DH bike.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
blah blah blah ... it's called a trailbike. blah blah blah
Correction: you call it a trailbike. Specialized has been calling it an Enduro since.... was it 1999 that they introduced it? regardless, I've had one since Y2K. It doesn't bother me one cent that the rest of the bike industry is now calling that kind of bike an Enduro bike... Why the vitriol? who cares?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
3-D Violet!

Back to Nico, it's cool to see how early he sets the front wheel down as compared to "normal" riders, both in the old DH and current trail riding footage.
i've had a lot of time to mis-remember things, but...didn't he say once that as long as his front end was hooking up he didn't worry too much about the rear? get that front end down quick and get back to traction...

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
i've had a lot of time to mis-remember things, but...didn't he say once that as long as his front end was hooking up he didn't worry too much about the rear? get that front end down quick and get back to traction...
I think that may have been Peaty, but he does seem to be setting the front down early and is comfortable with all of the weight being on the front even in terrain where a lot of riders would be hanging off the back. He also doesn't look like he pumps the terrain nearly as aggressively as some of the other top guys but yet he goes at least as fast. Go figure.

Re: Enduro...are people on here really complaining about a trend that keeps longer travel 26" bikes being made?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Enduro is why this 650bullsh!t exists, I'm thinking 26rs won't last in enduro, which will suffer the same mountain-flexing fate as XC.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
honestly I couldn't care less about wheelsize. 26 is cool. Is it the holy grail? probably not, and I'm 100% willing to try other things.

I just think watching enduro videos is boring. I love mountain biking, and as a race format enduro seems like it ticks those boxes. As a competitor - cool. As a spectator, meh. So in comparing the original video to the first video referenced, I'm gonna stand by my point. DH riding is way more fun to watch.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Not being up to speed on Nico, is it me, or does he run his suspension relatively lightly sprung? Looks like his fork dives all over the place in most of the vids I've seen of him, including the newest one. PS- is that the new pike?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Noticing he is on RS suspension in the video and on the team bike. Anybody know what it up with that?
the lapierre gravity republic is sponsored by SRAM this season with the DH'rs using drivetrain, suspension and brakes and nico on a full SRAM setup (add wheels, post, stem, bars). i think nico has been working with SRAM for a few seasons now - the monarch relay shock (which isn't shown in the pics but the article says nico will be racing with and can be seen in the video) was developed with lapierre.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
160mm "New Pike" and E.I. shock. What I'm most curious about are those tires. Especially the rear. Looks like it has fast rolling central knobs and big beefy, well supported side knobs (despite their being angled). I wonder what the casing is like.

I've come to the realization that that is specifically what I need: fast centre tread, well reinforced side knobs and a burly casing. It seems that all the fast tires come with a really light weight casing to keep the weight down. I'd like something that rolls fast, but is still robust. I'll sacrifice a bit of weight to acheive that. Schwalbe's Super Gravity Casing seems like a really good idea...

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
160mm "New Pike" and E.I. shock. What I'm most curious about are those tires. Especially the rear. Looks like it has fast rolling central knobs and big beefy, well supported side knobs (despite their being angled). I wonder what the casing is like.

I've come to the realization that that is specifically what I need: fast centre tread, well reinforced side knobs and a burly casing. It seems that all the fast tires come with a really light weight casing to keep the weight down. I'd like something that rolls fast, but is still robust. I'll sacrifice a bit of weight to acheive that. Schwalbe's Super Gravity Casing seems like a really good idea...
In the meantime, Highroller 2 (among others) and a pair of cutters will get similar results. It just takes a bit more time.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
What I'm most curious about are those tires. Especially the rear. Looks like it has fast rolling central knobs and big beefy, well supported side knobs (despite their being angled). I wonder what the casing is like.

I've come to the realization that that is specifically what I need: fast centre tread, well reinforced side knobs and a burly casing.
I was trying to figure out what Lopes was running that insane video Woo posted. They were Kendas, but didn't look like either of his signature tires (El Moco & BBG - both of which fit your description I think?). Anyway, I think that was the fastest I've ever seen Kendas go...

Not sure why tire companies haven't caught on - seems like a lot of us would like what you're asking for. Basically a park tire rather than a gnar tire.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
sandwich: meet ridemonkey. Ridemonkey: meet sandwich.

Where if the thread hasn't diverged to something completely unrelated by page 3, something is drastically wrong.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was trying to figure out what Lopes was running that insane video Woo posted. They were Kendas, but didn't look like either of his signature tires (El Moco & BBG - both of which fit your description I think?). Anyway, I think that was the fastest I've ever seen Kendas go...

Not sure why tire companies haven't caught on - seems like a lot of us would like what you're asking for. Basically a park tire rather than a gnar tire.
They're probably BBGs. Seems like every photo I see after googling "brian lopes very sexy smooth pectorals on bike" has those connected to his bike.

Those things rule anything dry. I've got the dh casings on an sx trail.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
What I'm most curious about are those tires. Especially the rear. Looks like it has fast rolling central knobs and big beefy, well supported side knobs (despite their being angled). I wonder what the casing is like.
racing ralph with bigger corner knobs (rear)
rocket ron with bigger corner knobs (front)

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
They're probably BBGs. Seems like every photo I see after googling "brian lopes very sexy smooth pectorals on bike" has those connected to his bike.

Those things rule anything dry. I've got the dh casings on an sx trail.
Don't think they were BBGs. Check out the opening shot where he deftly swings his sculpted monster quads over the saddle. They kinda looked like Karmas, which makes the riding even more unbelievable...

PS - there can never be enough threads about tires.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
In the meantime, Highroller 2 (among others) and a pair of cutters will get similar results. It just takes a bit more time.
what I don't like about the high roller 2 is the ramped knobs. I don't seem to get along very well with ramped knobs for some reason. I prefer short unramped ones...

edited to add: that rear proto almost looks like it was designed for Worlds this year... similar to the Bling Bling?

Last edited:

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
True source of the Monkey's Enduro hate?

Worried it will surpass their beloved DH racing in popularity?

Mid pack DH race fodder worried they'll be bottom of the list in Enduro racing?

No more lazy days of shuttling and lift riding and calling it DH race training.

Average DH racer is so far out of shape they could really only hold it together for 3 minutes on the track.

Or just it's hip to hate.