Quantcast

How TO ride a bike

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
True source of the Monkey's Enduro hate?

Worried it will surpass their beloved DH racing in popularity?

Road racing has already done that in multiple orders of magnitude.

Still gay as fvck.

Mid pack DH race fodder worried they'll be bottom of the list in Enduro racing?
You obviously haven't been paying attention. Mid pack dh race fodder = instant enduro champion surrounded by xc goons.

No more lazy days of shuttling and lift riding and calling it DH race training.

Average DH racer is so far out of shape they could really only hold it together for 3 minutes on the track.

Or just it's hip to hate.
Oh come on you're not that old.

You normally don't start hearing that 'fitness over skill' BS from guys until they're at least staring at 50 in the horizon.

Last edited:

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
Mid pack DH race fodder worried they'll be bottom of the list in Enduro racing?
I think you have it the wrong way around. Mid pack DH racer = Enduro podiums for daaaaayz.

Edit: I probably should have read the post above before posting but it reinforces the point.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I don't think so, I'm a mid pack DH racer and my fitness it not good enough for enduro podiums.

Of course the top DH guys have the fitness for enduro, but not all the mid pack guys.

I think going for enduro is good reason for improved life quality hehe. I think to combine both dh and enduro will help improve riding. Add other disciplines as well.

It requires Skillz for sure, that for enduro riding.

there is a video a fast italian following Vouliozz

http://vimeo.com/51679780

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
160mm "New Pike" and E.I. shock. What I'm most curious about are those tires. Especially the rear. Looks like it has fast rolling central knobs and big beefy, well supported side knobs (despite their being angled). I wonder what the casing is like.

I've come to the realization that that is specifically what I need: fast centre tread, well reinforced side knobs and a burly casing. It seems that all the fast tires come with a really light weight casing to keep the weight down. I'd like something that rolls fast, but is still robust. I'll sacrifice a bit of weight to acheive that. Schwalbe's Super Gravity Casing seems like a really good idea...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:drool:

I just picked up a Continental X-King on a whim that I'm currently getting acquainted with. Now I know why my buddies are so stuck on these fast rolling tires. I used to laugh at them on the Kenda Slant 6, but it's crazy how those micro-knobbies carry momentum, and really accelerate quickly. You give up in outright grip, but with enough momentum you can compensate to a certain degree. Braking is certain situations can be sketchy. But really, I only wish it had bigger sideknobs for off-camber stuff and crazy corners. This tire looks to acheive that...

edited to add: I'm talking about that Schwalbe tire... not the Kenda.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Sorry for getting off topic, but this tread is a thing of beauty. I think this tire could complete me.

Although I know Woo won't be able to sleep tonight because of the shoulder knob angle.
its called the rock razor, they also have a new version of the muddy mary, called magic mary in the works, thats the tire on the front...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just need to chime and say that in 2013, XX1 is pretty friggin' awesome. Totally clean and silent set up. I've always had a close, personal relationship with my granny gears but the spread is wide enough that I can get away with the 1X. And I haven't dropped my chain once, not even pedaling through rocks at speed in Downieville. We'll see how it works out durability-wise, but as far as function goes, I am on board. (And I'm one of those guys who swore off SRAM drivetrains a while back.)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just need to chime and say that in 2013, XX1 is pretty friggin' awesome. Totally clean and silent set up. I've always had a close, personal relationship with my granny gears but the spread is wide enough that I can get away with the 1X. And I haven't dropped my chain once, not even pedaling through rocks at speed in Downieville. We'll see how it works out durability-wise, but as far as function goes, I am on board. (And I'm one of those guys who swore off SRAM drivetrains a while back.)
are you running with or without a guide? I seem to see a lot of bikes with one on, but I thought the claim was that the magic keeps the chain from derailing.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
are you running with or without a guide? I seem to see a lot of bikes with one on, but I thought the claim was that the magic keeps the chain from derailing.
First of all, I just realized that this is the wrong thread - thought it was the 2013 thread.

Anyway, my bike (bronson) came with a top guide but I took it off. I've been running without the guide from day one.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Since this is no longer a thread with a destination, it appears that ship sailed long ago, I'll add some info on this. I'm running a wolf tooth narrow-wide tooth profile chainring (32 tooth), 11-36 cassette and zee Rd on my trail bike. On the 8 or so rides I've done on the system, I haven't dropped a chain once. Not once. And I have no retention device. It's a very impressive combo and I highly recommend it.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I have an xx1 setup on my 160mm trail bike. It is setup with an mrp g3 guide. I just broke the bottom guide, so I have run it a couple days with only the top part.

This is in contrast to running an xt/xtr setup last season with a normal mrp ring and a xcx guide.

I think the shadow+ derailleur does a better job managing chainslap than the type2 SRAM jazz. I would only run type 2 without chain retension as straight xc trail bike. At speed on a rough trail the type 2 stuff does not shift nearly as well as shadow plus. Now I did drop the chain once with the shadow+ but that was also running the cat1/pro dh race track on a 140mm trail bike with 2ply tires. An with a normal chainring and no lower retention. Xcx guide only.

The minute that the g3 lower skid I back in stock I will order one though. The type2 just shifts way way better with that additional tension on the chain.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have an xx1 setup on my 160mm trail bike. It is setup with an mrp g3 guide. I just broke the bottom guide, so I have run it a couple days with only the top part.

This is in contrast to running an xt/xtr setup last season with a normal mrp ring and a xcx guide.

I think the shadow+ derailleur does a better job managing chainslap than the type2 SRAM jazz. I would only run type 2 without chain retension as straight xc trail bike. At speed on a rough trail the type 2 stuff does not shift nearly as well as shadow plus. Now I did drop the chain once with the shadow+ but that was also running the cat1/pro dh race track on a 140mm trail bike with 2ply tires. An with a normal chainring and no lower retention. Xcx guide only.

The minute that the g3 lower skid I back in stock I will order one though. The type2 just shifts way way better with that additional tension on the chain.

Just my opinion.
Interesting. My experience is that XX1 without a guide holds a chain better than XTR and XT shadow plus rear derailleurs on 2X and 3X setups with a front derailleur and no guide. I've been told the front ring will not hold as well once it wears a bit, only time will tell. As for slap, I can't speak to other type 2 SRAM stuff, only XX1, but my drivetrain is basically silent.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
one question...

I know most ride 36T for single chain setup.

Anybody runs 32t?

I think XX1 looks sweet but too much hassle to get part of the system cheaply (hello new x9 with 11??). so Im looking 11-34 and 32t front. I thought it might be a lot to spin but it may work?

I been eyed on 39T titanium cog to complement the casette. Hence dedication between 32/ 11-34 or 36/ 11-39.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
'cause..

[video]http://mpora.com/videos/AAdfcc2kocud[/video]
It is like comparing F1 to Rally WRC :)

Recent accident from Enduuuuro trail:

Anne-Caroline Chausson arrived at the pits early. Unfortunately, today didn't work out too well for her; a heavy crash on the second stage left her with broken ribs and a trip to the hospital.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Minnar DH champion couldnt come Close to Fab?

The rider you can see, just out of focus in the background, is Greg Minnaar. Fabien Barel overtook him on track on both the first and second stages. Greg apparently tried to hold Barel's wheel, but said he was just too strong.