Quantcast

How TO ride a bike

i ride 1x10 with a 32/11-36 setup. sometimes i wish for a easier gear on the uphills, i'm thinking of getting the leonardo 40t cassette extension, then it should be perfect.
i run the same. if a hill that i'm going up is so steep that it's hard in 32-36 or i am too tired from riding, i rather just dismount and hoof it.

i saw that even dan atherton had to hoof it during one of the transitional climbs at this past weekend's EWS #1.

i have thus far resisted XX1 so i can have easy interchangeability with my rides between AM and DH. i run the same exact der and shifter for both incase something breaks.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Backwards for a schwalbe (IE the more effective direction)

The sideknobs cup approaching dirt the way they're turned in that pic. Like a V on the ground vs. a ^ shape which all schwalbe tires seem to do (cept for the mud one).
Are you drunk or what? To me it seems the sideknobs are the same way as usual for Schwalbe, ie. backwards.
But since the tire does not seem to have any ramping on the center tread, you could run it whatever way you want.

Edit: wait, no, seems like there is slight ramping after all. The sideknob orientation is ****ed up.
I'd still run it!

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
are you running with or without a guide? I seem to see a lot of bikes with one on, but I thought the claim was that the magic keeps the chain from derailing.
I've been running mine without a guide as well. Just over 3 months now and on all kinds of stuff from smooth,jumpy to fast, rocky trails and not a hint of chain drop. I've got chainguide tabs on my frame and thought I would have to run guide at some point, but it's looking less and less likely.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Minnar DH champion couldnt come Close to Fab?

The rider you can see, just out of focus in the background, is Greg Minnaar. Fabien Barel overtook him on track on both the first and second stages. Greg apparently tried to hold Barel's wheel, but said he was just too strong.

Well who do you believe invests more into the opening race of the new enduro series? A retired dh-rider who dedicated his career to this series or an active dh-champ who wants to take the win on home soil this season?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Minnar DH champion couldnt come Close to Fab?

The rider you can see, just out of focus in the background, is Greg Minnaar. Fabien Barel overtook him on track on both the first and second stages. Greg apparently tried to hold Barel's wheel, but said he was just too strong.

"Hey World Champ - on your left!"

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
i ride 1x10 with a 32/11-36 setup. sometimes i wish for a easier gear on the uphills, i'm thinking of getting the leonardo 40t cassette extension, then it should be perfect.
Im afraid leonardo could wear out since it is aluminum. Larger cog takes longer to wear. It'll be interesting to hear.

ActionTec titanium products look good :)

I think 32t would work well since I dont care about pedaling in descent.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Well who do you believe invests more into the opening race of the new enduro series? A retired dh-rider who dedicated his career to this series or an active dh-champ who wants to take the win on home soil this season?
It is not about that. My summary of earlier post is that discipline is not for pussies. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
[video]http://mpora.com/videos/AAdh8jfcrk7l[/video]

interesting tech talk. Fabien and Nico are always super insightful.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I would have thought the DH guys would be stoked to see a multiple DH world champ and world cup winner take the win after doing a ton of training for it. Not butthurt that the current DH world champ who has done no enduro training couldn't do it... "he could have if he wanted to" is bs. He was goin hard as can be, and if he lost time, it was in the seconds.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
let me try again.

Fab is da Flow King :) He is likely less adapt for physical fitness than DH champions if you say he is retired dh veteran?? It means that Fab used very Little energy to blow **** out of Minaar? Minnar has plenty time to rest Before Fort Williams (its the first WC track for year 2013 season). Suspiciously Minnar and Peat times are so Close, Three sec between.

To run 100 times on super short track (2-3 min.) is easy to shave 0,1 sec in the track then memorize all movements then do a perfect run. It is how DH works, but for Enduro, it requires much more of you. To adapt to track since it is hard time to remember every details and you dont have second guy beside you to read directions, curve angle, speed.

fab summarized Enduro perfectly:

"it is how we ride everyday!"

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I'd say it's about perspective. If I was a reigning mtb-champion opting for crowning for my career with the championships in my homecountry and a possible overall vicorty I wouldn't risk an injury on a race noone will talk about in a few weeks. Was the same with the urban races in south-america last season in which minaar took part. Got 10th behind south american locals not because he couldn't go faster but because he wanted to be healthy and fit for pietermarizburg.

On the other hand barel is in an entirely different situation. His job is to compete and win races like this.

Bottom line: Every year everyone gives way too much thought into the outcomes of pre-season races which never really reflected the outcome of the actual dh-season. Pros just don't go all out in these races or do you really think Greg Minaar couldn't go the pace of Fabien Barel? No disrespect for barel but right now if everybody puts their gameface on there is nobody like gwin, gee and minaar.

I know gee might have a sour image now that he never won a wc since ilke ??? and minaar got continually beaten by gwin but if you know the consistency of their race-outcomes in the last few years you'd realize that other upcoming fast riders like smith, mcdonald, hart still lack quite a bit of that impressing consistency being fast on race-day at a wc.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
yeah I understand what do you mean. It was a comment to some posts that enduro is nothing special, more XCey.

It can be difficult enough for dh riders to push 100% in order to avoid injuries as you say. There is competitive atmosphere in World Enduro races. I cannot stop wonder that it was easy to flat tires. Italian rocky tracks must be hard. :)