Quantcast

How to save weight on the top?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
i don't know if you can buy the ti spindle seperate. you can get the wellgo mg-1's in grey,black or white off of ebay for about $115.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Damn. I just bought a set of MG-1s (for my DH bike), but BTI only listed them w/ normal axles. Oh well, no chance I would pay that much for a set I get at cost.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
rolly shmoley. looks like a fun bike.

Another case of lighter starting fire. (That headline is getting old news.)

...at least it's rather mild here, compared to similar discussion elsewhere regarding weight loss. American thing... underlying theme on rejecting weight-loss, haha.

I'll predict... probably quick on the draw... but, this may possibly mark a beginning stage in giant shift in current cycling trend, repeating history, rejecting lightweight... I already taste it, I might have to get another Standard STA! 48 spokes?! C'mon, with current technology we can probably fit 72... no wait, 128 spokes! Shoot for the moon! Hell, why not some solid billet wheels even. And done tubeless right, Solid rubber!
I'm even going to weld some Craftsman wrenches to the bottom of my chainstays for grind guards, tonight.
I'm seriously done with bolt-on catalog parts. No more bolts. Weld everything. Weld my stem to my steerer, and my bars to my stem. Hot-rod for life.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Hmm. I thought it was closer to 11oz. I will take your word for it.:poster_oops:
i have to agree with you on the 11oz thing. the odyssey junior seat is 6.5 oz so that means the thomson would have to be under 2.5 oz. thats about 70 grams. they are listed at 188 grams for a 25.4 at 200mm and 256 grams at 330mm. sooooo.... if i did my math right that would put it at 120 grams for a 70mm (slammed one) or 4.23 oz for a grand total 10.73 oz with the seat.

im sure drilling and ti bolts would bring it down a little but i doubt to under 9 oz

on the other hand the federal slim sl pivotal and slammed pivotal post weigh 11.1 oz with no ti bolts or drilling...

so the thomson with junior is lighter but the pivotal is really close and is alot bigger and more padded.
man i need to go to bed

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
throw an f80x on the front with a madera pilot hub (7oz) or one of the new fly front hubs or something.

a chopped to hell, and drilled thompson doesnt weigh much over 2oz i don't think...

thompson stem or sunline stem could knock the weight down.

do the primo balance style rim drilling on the inside of the rims, cut steerer tube if you haven't yet.

http://www.danscomp.com/463025.php?cat=PARTS

140mm rotor, new lever maybe, iunno what else.

Last edited:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
throw an f80x on the front with a madera pilot hub (7oz) or one of the new fly front hubs or something.

a chopped to hell, and drilled thompson doesnt weigh much over 2oz i don't think...

QUOTE]

he said earlier in the posts that he won't change the bars or fork. he already cracked a revelation so a f80x would be a step in a weaker direction.
if he did though a ns simple front hub only weights 5.96 oz. thats whats going on my new build

and his seatpost is about 4 oz with it chopped and ti bolts according to his scale (assuming the 6.5oz junior seat is accurate) cause he said the total was about 10.5 oz

im in no way trying to be rude in correcting you either. the other ideas were good

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
very cool bike, nice action shots!

Just a thought... have you considered switching to a rigid fork? It would take some time to get used to, but ultimately you would find that you will become smoother when you ride. And save a bunch of weight to boot :D

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
word, my error then. you can cut the post obscenely short though haha.

the NS is 5.9? jesus
yeah 169 grams. but it doesn't have disc mounts or anything. i think its either 9mm or 10mm hollow axle. they look clean too. im buying mine when i finally drop the money on my NS capital frame. i have a revelation dual air waiting to go on a bike

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
why wouldnt you trust it? the top cap is only there to preload the bearings in the headset... it is useless once you tighten your stem.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
yeah, i was going to say the Head Lock, too.
And idk if you said no to getting rid of the brake mount on the fork, but that's something you could do.
Here's another option.
Take off seat cover and shave the seat foam. oh, and then put the seat cover back on...
And you could drill like 8 more holes total in the seat post. insted of 3 up and down, only do 2 towards the bottom inbetween the 3 holes, if you get what i'm saying.
Make it lighter! set a world record or some sh*t. ha.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
rolly shmoley. looks like a fun bike.

Another case of lighter starting fire. (That headline is getting old news.)

...at least it's rather mild here, compared to similar discussion elsewhere regarding weight loss. American thing... underlying theme on rejecting weight-loss, haha.

I'll predict... probably quick on the draw... but, this may possibly mark a beginning stage in giant shift in current cycling trend, repeating history, rejecting lightweight... I already taste it, I might have to get another Standard STA! 48 spokes?! C'mon, with current technology we can probably fit 72... no wait, 128 spokes! Shoot for the moon! Hell, why not some solid billet wheels even. And done tubeless right, Solid rubber!
I'm even going to weld some Craftsman wrenches to the bottom of my chainstays for grind guards, tonight.
I'm seriously done with bolt-on catalog parts. No more bolts. Weld everything. Weld my stem to my steerer, and my bars to my stem. Hot-rod for life.
I think you took way to much time to wright that. But I deffinatly get your point. I think over time people ate going to go the more durable rought then the lighter one and hate on the weight wennies. but all the trends from bmx stem over to mtb so who knows... maybe we will be riding plastic frames in a few years

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Seriously get a life. You have a sick ass bike that is light as all get out. Shave the brake mounts, lose the top cap and get the 140 rotor and shut up.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
what's with all the hating?
it's not like he doesn't ride it, or complaining that it's too heavy, just wants to see how light he can make it.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea at first I was laughing at the degree he's taking this too but realized that this is his passion. He analizes each and every inch of his set up which I can respect. With me, riding is my passion. I hate wrenching on my bike so as long as it doesn't break is my criteria, not weight.

DCRAC3R

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
Washington STATE

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany

To save some weight I build my own fork - the "Pevelation"- a mix of Pike and Revelation. Saved 215g, my scale says now 10,1kg / 22,2lbs. Uppers and dual air system is from the Revelation, lowers are from the Pike. Motion Control is removed. 'll write an issue for Ride Lite soon!

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Get foam grips.

They ain't too pretty, but you can find some that weigh ~22g and they usually cost around 5 bucks

And if you're looking to spend some $ how about lighter brakes, such as Formula Puro's?

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Dope. Nice job with the fork-breeding.
Get foam grips.
Is it really necessary to compromise your handling/comfort on grips? Since when are a certain pair of grips too heavy? Is this bike really still too heavy?:crazy:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Seriously get a life. You have a sick ass bike that is light as all get out. Shave the brake mounts, lose the top cap and get the 140 rotor and shut up.
Quoting my own post. Hey man Im sorry. I envy your bike so much. I was a little upset due to the fact that I broke my dirt jumper and then reading your thread just set me off. I love the pike/revelation, that is a work of art.