Quantcast

How to save weight on the top?

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Dope. Nice job with the fork-breeding.

Is it really necessary to compromise your handling/comfort on grips? Since when are a certain pair of grips too heavy? Is this bike really still too heavy?:crazy:
How do they compromise handling/comfort? I run them on my DH bike and they are very comfy and they have never slipped. In fact, I switched out a set of ODI lock-on's for them.

Regular grips aren't too heavy. The OP just asked where he could shave weight, and I answerd him. And the OP can be the only one to answer if the bike is too heavy or not.

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
foam grips are sheeeet

is the pevelation mod still under warranty?
don't think so...

fork is better than the Pike - it's harder, reacts better and of course fukkin liter! U-Turn always sucked me down a bit, I love the Dual Air system!

Last edited:

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
How do they compromise handling/comfort? I run them on my DH bike and they are very comfy and they have never slipped. In fact, I switched out a set of ODI lock-on's for them.
maybe if you ride with gloves
foam grips + rain/lotsa sweat = problems

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
I can't remember if you veto'd any of this, but...

Tires: Maxxis Maxxlite 310s. I know of at least one street rider that runs them, and he's had nothing but success.
Handlebars: Answer Pro-taper. It may not have the rise you're after though.
Seat: Selle Italia makes an 88 gram seat. It looks fvcking awful though....I wouldn't run it for street, but that depends on how much you use your seat I guess...

And then in the future...

Maxle Lite
Formula R1 brake...apparently under 280 grams complete, and there's an even lighter version coming out.

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
my buddy has a maxle light on his new revelation. i forget the number but the range is 90-100 grams in weight. ill find out tomorrow and get scale pics

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I can't remember if you veto'd any of this, but...

Tires: Maxxis Maxxlite 310s. I know of at least one street rider that runs them, and he's had nothing but success.
Handlebars: Answer Pro-taper. It may not have the rise you're after though.
I have both the protaper bars and the maxxlite 310 in the rear, although I havent ridden it yet, it looks pretty legit:

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
Got some good news - I'm under 10kg right now - Marzocchi axle still to come (will save more!)

Frame - blkmrkt Mob 2006 raw, thin colored
Fork - Rock Shox "Pevelation", Uppers from Revelation 426, Downside from Pike 454, Inside from Reba and Revelation Dual, 70mm travel, extra stiff
Handlebars - Funn Full On Sam Hill Editon, 1,5" rise, 30" wide
Stem - blkmrkt Underboss stem with ti-bolts, upside-down
Headset - FSA Impact
Grips - Animal Edwin cutted
Barends - blkmrkt plastic
Saddle - Odyssey Junior
Seatpost - Thomson Elite with ti-bolts, cutted as much as possible
Rear brake - Hope Mono Mini 6"
Cranks - Leafcycles Motosticks with Leafcycles EuroBB
Sprocket - St Martin Ringp Sprocket 26t
Chain - KMC X10SL
Cog - Point 12t cog with NG Sports Konverter
Pedals - Wellgo MG-1 Titanium spindle
Front hub - NS Bikes Roller Simple 20
Rear hub - Hope Pro II bolt-in with ti-bolts
Front rim - Mavic XM719
Rear rim - Mavic XM719
Spockes - DT Revolution 2.0/1.5 3 times crossed
Nipples - DT alloy
Tyres - Schwalbe Racing Ralph 26x2.1
Tubes - Schwalbe XX-Light 14a

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Ever considered Middleburn RS7s for cranks? Arm only weights are 416g(claimed) for ISIS arms and 431g (claimed) for Squares... Would these be lighter than what you've currently got?

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
It also comes in a square taper and in all honesty, I don't really think this guy knows much about the cranks in question. He first claims it's not for DS and then he says they're not stiff and that they're ugly when I link him to a review of the crank that clearly states it's used for Trials and DH. I mean if he finds them ugly and don't want to use them, I can understand that, but to say they're not stiff when I highly doubt that he's ever tried them, well...

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
It also comes in a square taper and in all honesty, I don't really think this guy knows much about the cranks in question. He first claims it's not for DS and then he says they're not stiff and that they're ugly when I link him to a review of the crank that clearly states it's used for Trials and DH. I mean if he finds them ugly and don't want to use them, I can understand that, but to say they're not stiff when I highly doubt that he's ever tried them, well...
I rode them a long time ago, they flexing/moving as hell (weak alloy) - I know that they are strong enough for DH or anything else but they suck :D - I broke 5 alloy cranks and so I don't want to ride **** ;) - Leafcycles Motosticks are real stiff, strong, lite and especially made for MTB (longer spindle) - and they're lookin' ****in' awesome!

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I rode them a long time ago, they flexing/moving as hell (weak alloy) - I know that they are strong enough for DH or anything else but they suck :D - I broke 5 alloy cranks and so I don't want to ride **** ;) - Leafcycles Motosticks are real stiff, strong, lite and especially made for MTB (longer spindle) - and they're lookin' ****in' awesome!

The welds on that crankset looks pretty ****ty man.