Quantcast

how to ship my bike to NZ, for small $$??

foobaa

Chimp
Feb 24, 2005
nuu zeeland
Hello there!!

Just wondering if you peoples could possibly help me out. I am looking for the cheapest way to ship my bike from the states to New Zealand...and thought that some of you might know what company, or how I could get this done without having to part with big money.

I am currently in New Zealand, and so have been doing some internet searches...and pricing etc. Most of the companies on the net like UPS etc have rate calculators etc, but only for the high priced urgent services. Prices are up around $600 to $700...

So if anyone can help me out, that would be fantastic. I am not in a hurry, so even if it was put on a slow boat....well that would be fine!!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I tell you what...you pay for a airline ticket for me, and I'll bring it to you. Then the shipping is free! :)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The cheapest (and slowest) way will be with the US Post Office. Check their website as there are restrictions on the size of the package you are shipping that vary depending on the country you are shipping to. Make sure you pack it well with lot's of bubble wrap and such. UPS DHL and Fed Ex are waaaay more expensive but you are dealing with one shipping company, and they offer semi real time tracking. With the post office you are dealing with two entities (USPS and NZ post), and little to no tracking system. As long as you trust NZ postal service and the USPS, you should be OK.

I shipped a frame and a wheel in the same box to England for appx $80.00. It took appx 8 days to get there. Shipped it two weeks ago or so.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
USPS ground service.

that is the cheapest and slowest way. no tracking, no insurance. no anything.
its taken as cargo in a ship.

depends from what coast in the US, might take up to 2 months according to the website....

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, my friend from NZ tried to mail his bike home and just couldn't find a cheap way to do it. Ended up waiting until he got to the UK to mail it...said it was much cheaper from there.

You might also talk to some freight services instead of courier services. You can do it as part of an 'lcl' (less-than-container-load) where they'll pack it in a conex box on a ship that has room in it. I don't know if it'd be more efficient, and someone would have to pick it up for you at the port when it comes in...might be worth a look, though.

Might also check Vorb and see if anyone has experience to share with you.

MD

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
take the bike apart as far as possible to make it smaller. my friend Allen at dropnzone.com sells over seas quite a bit, thats what he does.

foobaa

Chimp
Feb 24, 2005
nuu zeeland
I have a couple of friends over in the states, I might see if one of them can break it down into a smaller box, and see what it costs to usps it...

Thanks people, I had not found usps in my searching, and definitely the cheapest option....

and if y'all are comin over to nuu zeeland, well I can hook you up with the best trails to ride (and believe me, we got some of the best riding in the world on our doorsteps here in nz)....just drop me a line, or if you would rather...have a chat to some of the vorbites on www.vorb.co.nz and they will point you in the right direction!!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
foobaa said:
.have a chat to some of the vorbites on www.vorb.co.nz and they will point you in the right direction!!
If by 'point you in the right direction,' you mean 'cause you potentially irreparable psychic distress and warp your mind to evil things,' then Vorb is the place.

I'm hooking up with lots of the Vorbii on my trip...leaving tomorrow! Be on the North Island till the mobbing in Wanaka, then on the south island for most of April. We'll see what happens after that.

MD

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
I always ship my international packages with USPS Airmail. It takes 5-10 business days and costs hundreds of dollars less than UPS and FedEx. Forget DHL, it's the most expensive one.

I've shipped numerous dh frames and dh forks to places like England, Ireland, Poland, and Germany. The most I every paid was $80 with full insurance coverage for a Super8 frame, with doublewide rear wheel and some random parts.

Careful though, different countries have size restrictions. I had to take frames apart because the max length on the package was only 48".

Just use the shipping calculator on USPS.com