Quantcast

How to Steal a Bike in NYC

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
It's time to get frustrated by the public's (and police!) lack of interest and concern over something being stolen in broad daylight!

I suppose the best excuse for lack of interest is that the people assume it is the person's bike. It's too bad nobody offered to help!

This is why my bike does not leave my site. Ever.

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/07/14/video_of_the_da_27.php

These guys set out during morning rush hour on busy corners of NYC streets. They were armed with various tools, in attempts to steal their own bike.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
It's just as well no Internet-Tough-Guystm were wandering past. They'd have beaten the crap out of the guy with his own tools and fed him the bolt-cutters.

Damn he was lucky.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
fluff said:
It's just as well no Internet-Tough-Guystm were wandering past. They'd have beaten the crap out of the guy with his own tools and fed him the bolt-cutters.

Damn he was lucky.
Beautiful.:D :D :D

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'd be willing to bet this same stunt late at night would ellicit more of a reaction. Nobody would believe a guy would try to steal any bike other than his own in broad daylight with an angle grinder.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
"It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark, looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

OOPS!! You forgot BIKE THIEF JOHN!!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Chunky Munkey said:
"It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark, looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

OOPS!! You forgot BIKE THIEF JOHN!!!
LMAO!

Nice Jime rome impression there...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
chicodude said:
I know who Jim rome is too. And I know he didn't say that.
Are you retarded? I know Jim Rome didnt say it. The schtick of his show is something like Chunky posted. That's all I was saying.:D

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BurlyShirley said:
Are you retarded? I know Jim Rome didnt say it. The schtick of his show is something like Chunky posted. That's all I was saying.:D

I could be retarded........I wouldn't doubt it.....

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I saw this video a couple years ago. The fact of the matter is, in a lot of parts of the video he seriously looks like someone who is taking his own bike (as in, lost key to lock or something?). I mean, I am sure we all have seen someone in the middle of the mall parking lot or whatever with a coat hanger/slimjim trying to get into a locked car. You normally just think/assume that they lost their keys.

I dont know, I may not be explaining this right...but I know what I am trying to say :)

I would probably walk right by someone with a full angle grinder and safety gloves to be honest...

The bolt cutters would probably raise a bit more of an eyebrow...

Also, like someone else said I wonder if the reaction would be any different if this were in the middle of the night. I have a corny example: one of my old cars about 10 years ago used to have some very flashy/expensive wheels on it. I came out about 9am and noticed I had a flat tire. I didnt have time to mess with it really so I just took the wheel off and left it on a jackstand (I lived in an apartment complex btw, so try to imagine...). A few different people walked by and were like wtf, but since I was so nonchalant about it nobody seemed to care. Had I acted all nervous and bolted off who knows how they would have reacted. That night when I got home (I got the tire fixed during lunch) I went out to reinstall the wheel. Just as I was getting the lugs tightened a cop car pulls up....apparently someone saw me messing with the car in the dark and reported it.

Everyone knows NYC (like any big city, but worse for bikes I hear) is rough with the theft stuff. Nobody blinks an eye...but I am just pointing out there are some additional pieces of info to keep in mind that may make this video look a tad worse than it really is.