Quantcast

How to take paint off of Hayes Calipers?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I got a front brake that's orange (from a kona) and would like it to be either black or silver. I dunno if this has been done or asked before but here it goes.

What can I do to remove the color from a hayes caliper? I know that the lever bodies don't like brake fluid very much but I have no idea how the calipers react to it? I have one black brake and one orange brake. I'd like to have them match more than orange if possible. I figured stripping the paint or whatever it is that hayes puts on the calipers would be easier than say replacing them.

Any ideas on this one?

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
If you had a front G2 caliper/MAG lever I'd do it, the brake is for a front (atleast that's the hose length).

But other than trading it no ideas on how to take it off?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Very careful application of paint stripper. Most types are fairly thick and wont run. Remove the caliper, remove the pads and take your time.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
ive seen the orange calipers before and they looked like powdercoating to me.
anyway, this sh*t work awesome!

It will strip the powdercoating off a frame in no time.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Use some nail polish remover from a store with some cotton balls for precision, that stuff should be able to remove it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
don't use any chemicals bro. You'll destroy the seals on the caliper pucks with a single drop of stripper!!!
Dremel tool will knock it out in 5 minutes....don't use a disc though...one of the wire brush attachments.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I think the dremel idea might work the best. I definately don't want to eat the seals or anything like that. I've used that Jasco stuff and I agree, it works wonders quickly. If I can't find a way to trade someone a front brake as for some odd reason people want orange.......then I'll just dremel it and leave it an aluminum color (or paint them black with caliper paint). Spray paint would probably be fine except 1 drop of brake fluid on it and off it goes.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I had polished calipers and levers last year. I used Tal-stripII Aircraft coaing remover. I find the stuff at local automotive stores. I have used it on several brakes and frames.

Just be very careful to seal off the pistons and seals so nothing gets close to them. It is not that hard since the paint you are removing is on the outside of the calipers and the seals and everything else are on the inside.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
forget all that dremel and stripper crap.

Just get an industrial black marker (a paint marker, ideally) and color your caliper black.

I did this to my yeti swingarm where it said "active suspension" (what kind of wal-mart bike crap is that?) and it remains black as coal.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
forget all that dremel and stripper crap.

Just get an industrial black marker (a paint marker, ideally) and color your caliper black.

I did this to my yeti swingarm where it said "active suspension" (what kind of wal-mart bike crap is that?) and it remains black as coal.
Like the one's that taggers use? That'd probably be easier than anything, just marker it and be done.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Spunger said:
I think the dremel idea might work the best. I definately don't want to eat the seals or anything like that. I've used that Jasco stuff and I agree, it works wonders quickly. If I can't find a way to trade someone a front brake as for some odd reason people want orange.......then I'll just dremel it and leave it an aluminum color (or paint them black with caliper paint). Spray paint would probably be fine except 1 drop of brake fluid on it and off it goes.
lets see. for front brakes i have champagnes(mags but grey color) with bfl levers. and i have a nearly brand new 9 thats working great(its got the kind of lever with the 2 pieces not the slide on kind)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Use you basic Paint stripper you can buy at a hardware store.... Paint it on with a brush......let it sit a couple minutes and wash it off water.....then your set.......Dont get it on your hands though Hurts like hell
________
I Inhale

Last edited:

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
You just need to go over the bars a few more times. Dirt and rocks do a really good job of scraping that cheap ass paint off.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Here's an idea: take the caliper apart, strip it worry free, paint it with high temp paint (making sure to carefully mask all important surfaces), rebuild with new seals, bleed, be done.

If you're worried about using strippers, you could use a wire wheel on a die grinder or dremel. I'd use a wire wheel instead of trying to sand it; you'll get a more even finish. But really, read the back of the stripper package, make sure it's safe for the material, and you'll b fine.