Quantcast

How to tell you are in a bad neighborhood?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I lock my bike in front of a police station in the Tenderloin, and I ask a departing cop if my bike is safe here.

He says, "Not in this neighborhood". I responded, "good thing I brought two locks."

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
honestly i believe this has nothing to do with the "quality" of the naighbourhood.
it's more a liability thing...

"that cop told me my (10k USD) bike was safe here... it got stolen... file a lawsuit."

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I judge a neighborhood by the number of shopping carts along the sidewalk

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Depends, is it anywhere in New Orleans or lower Norfolk, or most of Sacramento?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...my buddy from Penn State, Kurt used to live with his girlfriend in the Bowery near Spring and Garden (NYC for all non-Eastcoast folks).

So last summer in the middle of the night, his gf hears: "pop-pop... pop-pop-pop". So she goes to the front window (they used to live on the fourth floor) and looks down into the street... on the sidewalk below, directly in front of their building, is a dead guy sprawled out... she runs back to the bedroom and says: "Oh my God - I think someone was shot outside!!!" Kurt: "Just go back to sleep - it was probably a motorcycle backfiring..."

Kurt gets up the next morning to leave for work and realizes that he can't walk out the front door of his building without ducking under Police crime-scene tape AND stepping around a chalk-outline...

After that he was like "OK... we need to move..."

:biggrin:

Last edited:

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I've had a bike stolen from a police station, actually... It was impounded there, and when I came to get it the cop brought me to the spot where it should be and it wasen't there. It was a pretty nice bike too, so someone who worked there probably just brought it home for one of their kids or something. Pretty lame, except they just had to pay me for it anyway. So I made a parts list of super expensive parts that were never actually on it, and got paid back like twice what it was worth. I was able to build a bike that was alot better, too.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've had a bike stolen from a police station, actually... It was impounded there, and when I came to get it the cop brought me to the spot where it should be and it wasen't there. It was a pretty nice bike too, so someone who worked there probably just brought it home for one of their kids or something. Pretty lame, except they just had to pay me for it anyway. So I made a parts list of super expensive parts that were never actually on it, and got paid back like twice what it was worth. I was able to build a bike that was alot better, too.
Man, I've done some dumb things in my day, but defrauding the cops is a really bad idea. They get audited all the time, so if the bike did "reappear" and the list was off, you might be SOL.

And when I do things this sideways, I never, ever admit to them in writing.

No body sees, no body knows.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Isn't there an occifer from the SFPD that posts here?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
wow, you are dumber than i thought. you must be about 16 or something. now all that garbage you spewed in the montashu's female cop harrassment thread really makes sense :rolleyes:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
so what you're really trying to say is that you're a douche?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I lock my bike in front of a police station in the Tenderloin, and I ask a departing cop if my bike is safe here.

He says, "Not in this neighborhood". I responded, "good thing I brought two locks."
If it's the police station I'm thinking of... (eddy & jones?) then it's definitely not a great place to lock up any bike imo.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
when you pull up in front of the house in the ambulance and you notice steel bars on all the doors and windows in the area and half the windows have been replaced by plywood. Then you notice the poc marks in a lot of the stucco on the houses...

Point Richmond, last Friday afternoon

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Nice fantasy - let us know if it works out for you. I don't think municipalities actually assume unsubstantiated liability for impounded personal property. :plthumbsdown: