Quantcast

How to turn....Lesson One.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
That's awesome but I doubt it was the best way to get through the corner... His wheels are completely locked and it is going to cause some serious flat spots...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
that was sweeet but so sketchy! I thought that his rear was going to grab on that loose crap on the side of the road!:eek:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Leethal said:
That's awesome but I doubt it was the best way to get through the corner... His wheels are completely locked and it is going to cause some serious flat spots...
in a decreasing radius turn with an awd car on a loose, unpredictable surface that may well have been the ideal line. also, rally teams go through tires at a crazy pace, so i doubt tire wear is a concern...

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Tenchiro said:
Very cool, but was it intentional?
Most likely. If you ever get a chance, check out some pro rally racing on Speedvision or the like -- you will be blown away. The in-car views are mind blowing.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
He did lose it. It was only his exceptional skill that allowed him to save the corner and keep going. A pro driver would never go past 90 degrees drifting into a corner, you want to always be able to be putting in some amount of forward motion, and that wasnt happening. However, that was badass...

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
surfinguru said:
Um let's see, professional rally racer that's being paid to drive as fast as possible vs. e-speculating monkey? I'll go with the guy driving.
Don't see F1 drivers using the e-brake....

Toshi I agree with you if the corner was dirt or stone... however looked like asphault to me...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Check out how the tires are sliding on the wet tracks. There are two tracks going through the corner, darker in color than the asphalt, which appears to be water/ice. He could very easily be sliding on icy shtuff. I have no idea if that's good or bad, but it looks bad. Baaaaaaaaaaaad ass.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
lux said:
Most likely. If you ever get a chance, check out some pro rally racing on Speedvision or the like -- you will be blown away. The in-car views are mind blowing.
No way, turning left is way cooler :rofl:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Leethal said:
Don't see F1 drivers using the e-brake....

Toshi I agree with you if the corner was dirt or stone... however looked like asphault to me...
F1 cars also lose a ton (literally :D) of downforce if they're not going straight. WRC cars are entirely different, with their relatively lightly sprung, long travel suspension, awd, no downforce to speak of, and suspension setups designed for oversteer.

also note the snow on the side of the road, and who knows how much dirt, dust and junk was kicked up onto the track.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
oh, and as long as we're sharing stories, i managed to spin twice so far this year at autocross events. in one i would have crossed the finish line backwards if it weren't for the pesky reflector :D

<-- previously-heat cycled R compounds, new coilovers, first run on a cold day == :dead:

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Toshi said:
oh, and as long as we're sharing stories, i managed to spin twice so far this year at autocross events. in one i would have crossed the finish line backwards if it weren't for the pesky reflector :D
Those poor cones! I hope that they survived.

Toshi said:
<-- previously-heat cycled R compounds, new coilovers, first run on a cold day == :dead:
I'm not following what you're trying to say here.

Having been previously heat-cycled is a good thing, not a bad thing. It sounds like your tires weren't up to temp and you weren't used to the new suspension.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
the tires were more than broken in, shall we say. (i got them for free and wasn't too picky; past tense since i sold them to a high schooler this weekend)

but yes, largely it was my fault for overdriving cold tires, and i had the rear damping too high, making the car tailhappy.