Quantcast

How would you grow a Ridemonkey?

J

JRB

Ridemonkey said:
That's a generous offer, but I need to look for long term solutions. Thanks
Keep it in mind in the mean time if you need it.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
stosh said:
Get rid of personal reputation rating.
:stupid:

I have to say that I have been a bit driven away from ridemonkey lately because of a gradual but notable change over the past few months. It seems that such a huge amount of posts/threads are about "why do you all hate me?", "Loco sucks"... etc. It started to get really old. Then... enter reputation ratings. This only perpetuated these types of threads. I'm not going anywhere, but I really fail to see how newer users would not be turned off by this... If a user's posting behaviour is not "within the spirit" of what the current owner of ridemonkey.com desires, they should be moderated accordingly. Just my 2c...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Crashby said:

I have to say that I have been a bit driven away from ridemonkey lately because of a gradual but notable change over the past few months. It seems that such a huge amount of posts/threads are about "why do you all hate me?", "Loco sucks"... etc. It started to get really old. Then... enter reputation ratings. This only perpetuated these types of threads. I'm not going anywhere, but I really fail to see how newer users would not be turned off by this... If a user's posting behaviour is not "within the spirit" of what the current owner of ridemonkey.com desires, they should be moderated accordingly. Just my 2c...
I think this would make a good case for being able to individually "moderate" threads with a "thread ignore" feature. :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
dhbuilder said:
configure it so that when you put someone on the ignore list, you aren't aware that they're even posting. all you'll see is a skipped over# on the post count. and when somebody quotes them, you don't see that either.
I 2nd that

stosh said:
Get rid of personal reputation rating.
I 2nd that

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Crashby said:

I really agree with this statement, and i find myself not caring about much other than the DH forum/Buy Sell as well...The lounge really has gone down hill lately. I know a bunch of guys with very low post counts on here that have been totally turned off by the current topics...You might say you dont care, but they are quality users, that have alot of good info to contribute...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
This might never happen, but I love the www.bmxboard.com format. It's soooo simple and straight forward. All these dang avatars and signatures drive me crazy. Do we really need all that stuff cluttering up the page? Please make RideMonkey more like BMX Board. They also don't censor anything.

I say make it simpler. It's too damn complicated, with too many features.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The reputation thing is new, so it's getting a lot of attention. Eventually that will subside and I'll reveal it's true purpose.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
the arcade was nice. very nice.

for more traffic... attract people who normally dont use forums with more non-geek friendly information, like reviews, where is the best deal on a part, trail maps, trail directions, a little bike shop yellow pages (if reviews are included, probably better), riding spots and specific stuff people who surf the internet to expand their biking horizons would look for.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
bikenweed said:
This might never happen, but I love the www.bmxboard.com format. It's soooo simple and straight forward. All these dang avatars and signatures drive me crazy. Do we really need all that stuff cluttering up the page? Please make RideMonkey more like BMX Board. They also don't censor anything.

I say make it simpler. It's too damn complicated, with too many features.
I always like making things simpler, and will look for ways to do that.

No moderation will not work though.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
dhbuilder said:
configure it so that when you put someone on the ignore list, you aren't aware that they're even posting. all you'll see is a skipped over# on the post count. and when somebody quotes them, you don't see that either.
I agree. basically, when you put someone on ignore, you don't even know they exist.

Of course, I couldn't use that function myself, but I am still in favor of it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I really agree with this statement, and i find myself not caring about much other than the DH forum/Buy Sell as well...The lounge really has gone down hill lately. I know a bunch of guys with very low post counts on here that have been totally turned off by the current topics...You might say you dont care, but they are quality users, that have alot of good info to contribute...

a couple things here...

if someone doesn't like a particular thread, they don't have to open and read it. failing that, use the ignore feature on certain users.

or, they can create their own thread which they feel is interesting.

one legit beef is thread hijacking, but it's very hard to police correctly and consistently.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
bikenweed said:
All these dang avatars and signatures drive me crazy.
User error.

"Visible Post Elements
You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ridemonkey said:
That's a generous offer, but I need to look for long term solutions. Thanks
Press release "junk mail" box?

Take all of those press releases and ads etc, and put them somewhere on the site that people can browse them. Add a disclaimer that Ridemonkey does not edit or promote the items, they are just there for what they are.

When I joined RM the semi-regular raffles and random prize things were pretty cool. "Post a pic, win a set of brakes" etc. This encourages members to actively contribute something, and hopefully they continue without the carrot.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ridemonkey said:
The reputation thing is new, so it's getting a lot of attention. Eventually that will subside and I'll reveal it's true purpose.
... lemme guess... to increase ads to those with poor feedback ratings to help drive subscriber revenue? :rolleyes:

not a bad idea btw...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I would also like to add that I feel this is the best MTB forum on the web, nowhere else gets the amount of industry personnel and expertise that frequent this board. When I need good solid info I usually find it here (bike or non bike related)...

I just wish we could make the best better and cut down on some of the garbage

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Right, in your mind this makes sense, but to guys that are just coming into the forum it's just annoying, and they really don’t care to go through all that hassle. They will just go elsewhere. I think we need to work on more bike content here, like the ride reports, that section is great and thumbs up to RM and BAH for keeping it so.

To a new comer all the bickering is just a deterrent. People come here because they ride and want to talk about riding, not what fabric softener loco uses...
i think the problem is that the Lounge, for better or for worse, is what it is, and it's not gonna stay even >50% bike-related most days...the DH board is well-run and on topic for the most part, and the ride report forum i think it is an unmitigated hit.

i see it as a chicken and egg thing...most people want their posts to reach a larger audience, so they choose the lounge, rather than perhaps a more relevant forum such as cross country, tech talk, racing, fitness, etc. so these other forums don't get much traffic. and threads which are of value get posted in the lounge and get submerged pretty fast. :monkey:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I would also like to add that I feel this is the best MTB forum on the web, nowhere else gets the amount of industry personnel and expertise that frequent this board. When I need good solid info I usually find it here (bike or non bike related)...

I just wish we could make the best better and cut down on some of the garbage
ditto.
there's a little snobbish action going on in some areas,
but overall our forum in the south is a great place to find out who doing what and where.

i've used the south forum to promote the downhill trail system i've been building for the last six years. if it hadn't been for this site, very few riders would have ever known about it.

i for one appreciate that opportunity.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My random thoughts...

I'd like to see a gear review section. We had one at one point, but seems to have been nixed.

[flame suit on]
I'd like to see the lounge be reserved for general bike topics... get rid of all the garbage... no more off-topic stuff. However, in the long run, that may hurt growth of the site, but might help quality. Tough call, but you asked.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Keep it to suggestions like the head monkey requested.

Suggestions does not mean complaining about how the lounge sucks, nor does it mean complaining about how your buddies could roast everyone on the forum.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
How about a Ridmonkey Bike that gets sold to help the site? (similar to Stinkyboy's RM bike thingy)

Members donate parts and the final bike gets sold or raffled off to generate site money.

Donors that pitch in more than $XX worth of parts get premium memberships.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
ALEXIS_DH said:
the arcade was nice. very nice.

for more traffic... attract people who normally dont use forums with more non-geek friendly information, like reviews, where is the best deal on a part, trail maps, trail directions, a little bike shop yellow pages (if reviews are included, probably better), riding spots and specific stuff people who surf the internet to expand their biking horizons would look for.
I agree, a trail finder would be sweet, I often find myself reading about a trail thats nearby, but I've never heard of. Would also help the new guys just getting into the sport.

I would aslo like a revision, or explanation of some sort of te reputation thing. It seems like a silly game to make Stinkyboy and Loco look bad, both of whom, IMO are a quite good addition to RM.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i know any forum is only as good or bad as the people posting on it.
and it's the people that post that determin what's working here, and what's going to gather dust.

one of the things that pops up in the downhill forum from time to time that always get multiple responses, are how to threads.

how to, corner.
how to, ride rockgardens.
how to, jump. etc...

something to think about.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think an unedited press release forum would be great. Props to head monkey for wanting to save us from the ad speak, but there are lots of sites that just print them without editing. Plus, press releases will generate related threads anyway, so there will be plenty of e-speculation and people explaining the BS to those who can't figure it out themselves.

Reviews categorized by manufacturer and/or product would be good. For new users it can be tough to find specific info: Some clown will berate them for not "doing a search," and when they do a search they often have to sift through piles of drivel. Instead they can just go look at mtbr and find the product quickly. Once there they might stay on those forums.

I don't think a picture or video forum will add much. They would need to be further categorized and anyway it could be covered by having a picture or video sticky in the existing forums.

How to attract new users...hmmm, does RM do any advertising? I have no idea what it would cost but I imagine it could be good to get ads up on some of the magazine sites, maybe Drunkcyclist.com, IMBA, etc.

As for how to keep them, consider giving away schwag to people once they reach 250 or 500 un-moderated posts. You know, give 'em a reason to stick around if they don't immediately like what they see.

It might already exist but you might also consider a "New User's Guide to RM" explaining how to do simple stuff and warning them to not be put-off by all the asshats.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Ridemonkey said:
Every once in a while I like to sit back, and look at the site from afar and try to think about what would make it better.

I'd like to attract more visitors/members obviously, so that's one objective, but I also want to make the experience better for everyone.

What would you do to make RM a better place? What features would you add/remove? How would you promote it and attract new members? What do other sites have that you wish we had here?

This is an open brainstorm, negativity will be struck down by the hand of God.

Go!
Remove the rep mod...it does nothing but foster whining and infighting among current members.

Cut the elitism crap down a touch. I know of more than one person who has looked at the site and has gone elsewhere because many of the posters here are so intolerant of new posters (lounge specifically, the other forums are quite good).

And (it's just a picky bit), but that little menu bar that you can pull down and select any forum off of (that is at the bottom of the page) would be super on top for another easy navigation tool.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dhbuilder said:
i know any forum is only as good or bad as the people posting on it.
and it's the people that post that determin what's working here, and what's going to gather dust.

one of the things that pops up in the downhill forum from time to time that always get multiple responses, are how to threads.

how to, corner.
how to, ride rockgardens.
how to, jump. etc...

something to think about.
word, like a "clinic forum" or something where people can help others work on their skills.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
word, like a "clinic forum" or something where people can help others work on their skills.
A selection of How To's would be great. I think that if you're looking for advice, a standard post in the forums will serve, but just a section where writeups could be submitted and listed would be awesome.

It could be used for writeups on mechanical tutorials as well (how to change your fork oil, etc.)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
jacksonpt said:
My random thoughts...

I'd like to see a gear review section. We had one at one point, but seems to have been nixed.

[flame suit on]
I'd like to see the lounge be reserved for general bike topics... get rid of all the garbage... no more off-topic stuff. However, in the long run, that may hurt growth of the site, but might help quality. Tough call, but you asked.
Maybe split the lounge into the bike related stuff and a plain old off topic forum as a solution?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the product reviews sound like a good idea, but in the end i think it's a daunting task, unless the membership base of RM rises dramatically. even MTBR (which has a lot more users) has problems w/ keeping on top of stuff, because so many products get released each year.

i will admit that mtbr's trail reviews are a nice resource, but they really porked the system when they changed how they are listed (by trail name rather than town/locale).

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
narlus said:
there have been 3 active topics in the xc forum today.
I'm not saying a specific kind of biking.

Hell, it could be as lame as "check out the new schwag i installed" and as involved as "I'm looking for XXX bike for XXX person who is 5 foot 6 and 175 pounds, I need (list), help me out. Why, what, where."

It would be nice to be able to read that kind of thing without sorting through all the junk in the lounge is all.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
robdamanii said:
[>8] And (it's just a picky bit), but that little menu bar that you can pull down and select any forum off of (that is at the bottom of the page) would be super on top for another easy navigation tool.[/8<]
That is a very good idea. I completely agree.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
I'm not saying a specific kind of biking.

Hell, it could be as lame as "check out the new schwag i installed" and as involved as "I'm looking for XXX bike for XXX person who is 5 foot 6 and 175 pounds, I need (list), help me out. Why, what, where."

It would be nice to be able to read that kind of thing without sorting through all the junk in the lounge is all.
we've got forums for:

road
xc/cyclo-x
dh
freeride
trials

edit - and i forgot dirt jump and the newly minted 29er forums.

i find it hard to believe that the sort of post you described couldn't find a home in one of them.

fact is, we've got no shortage of specific forums, just not many people who use them; let's not add another bike-related forum.