Quantcast

How would you grow a Ridemonkey?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Dirt rider said:
the search funtion works off of finding and highliteing the words you qureryed (sp) in threads. however some treads are many pages long (like the burly hardtail thread) the ablity to go to the posts with highlited words would be great.

also the use of the lounge is kinda mixed as mentioned with bike related and Non bike related content, perhaps two lounges one bike, one non bike.
I agree wholeheartedly with the search issue. The VBB search engines annoys the hell out of me on various forums. one of them has 50+ page threads regularly, so the search is rendered all but useless.

My other points as passed along to Rm is:
1 - Spell check function
2 - A similiar threads thing when posting...that way we may not get 1000 What Downhill tire? threads a week.

These may not help drive traffic directly, but they will make things much more tolerable for the "regulars". It will also help the new guys when posting threads. They will get hassled less for completely incoherent posts, and will not ask a question answered 2 days ago, and 3 days before that, and a week before that, etc.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
people are always showing off there stuff maybe something like a show off your ride forum, so all of us don't have to constantly see new Sundays. Also people are always posting new gear and things up, so why not make a new product forum ect.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zmtber said:
people are always showing off there stuff maybe something like a show off your ride forum, so all of us don't have to constantly see new Sundays. Also people are always posting new gear and things up, so why not make a new product forum ect.
It's called content, and content is good. When you split every single idea into a seperate forum, traffic drops dramatically. Segregation is bad. You want forums to be as general as possible, while still being seperate enough to stay on topic.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Transcend said:
It's called content, and content is good. When you split every single idea into a seperate forum, traffic drops dramatically. Segregation is bad. You want forums to be as general as possible, while still being seperate enough to stay on topic.
This is true. I used to run forums for a living. There is an optimum sze, and the lounge is about it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
One thing seriously, Can you move the Forums link back to second from the left at the top of the page? I am so used to clicking there I always click on Photos now by accident. Check the stats for photos; I bet since you moved it you get loads more views but no more photos.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Oh, also I always loved the 'Users browsing this forum' feature, it was great when you had an argument going so you could see it you were being ignored (or winning) or if it was worth a quick post to get a conversation going.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
syadasti said:
Talk to Tama at Vorb (one most popular websites in NZ, regardless of category). He's the master at bike website promotion...

This and look at doing a mini ridemonkey like Vorbs "mini vorb"...... take a look at his website and see what you think.....Vorb
The mini vorb is located near the top left of the page in the far left collum?

Mini vorb is a small popup screen that displays the last 20 theads posted in and updates automatically every 3 mins. click on a thread in the mini vorb and it opens in a new window. :)
Works really really well. :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Transcend said:
:stupid:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Users logged on to the forum.

Bust the tech section into more specific sub-forums.

Ban periods shorter than a month used more frequently. (Fridays should be free day however.)

I think that the personal ratings are funny and can imagine a 100 uses for them. The weighting of the ratings is going to cause issues. Cut it back and make all the little monkeys equal in their ability (except maybe mods) to dole it out, even the bad little monkeys. I'd like to see the reputation attributed, especially the negative, as it would give you some idea of who you are annoying so that you can either handle them differently or avoid them or just ignore all together if it becomes chronic. And don't allow blank reputation, especially the negative, make them enter something. For god's sake if you are going to really complain, make 'em complain.

Move the Lounge out of the riding forums and stick it down with the political debate forum.

Leave the odd news and article postings out of the PD forum. That stuff belongs in the lounge or delete them all together.

None of that really "grows" Ridemonkey bigger. The only way to do that is to advertise more. T-shirts, stickers, and maybe even sponsoring a racer. Search out clubs and offer to host their club forum here and then they would see the rest of the site. But the reality is that any of that's going to have a limited effect.

I came here for the first time because someone sent me a link about Jack Daub dying. I like the vibe and stayed (much to the chagrin of some) I suspect that most folks come because one of their friends told them about this place. So maybe offer perks to users that bring more users. Stickers, pint glasses, t-shirts, premium memberships or even super moderator powers could be perks that you could give.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Dirt rider said:
the search funtion works off of finding and highliteing the words you qureryed (sp) in threads.
User error.

The default selection is to return the results as threads. All you have to do is check the box to return the results as individual posts...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Still don't know the point of the reputation thing but it should not be anonymous, or at the very least only feedback with an identified user should count against the points.

Unless this is like "any publicity is good publicity" and the users with the most comments (good or bad) get whatever the reward is.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
OGRipper said:
Still don't know the point of the reputation thing but it should not be anonymous, or at the very least only feedback with an identified user should count against the points.

Unless this is like "any publicity is good publicity" and the users with the most comments (good or bad) get whatever the reward is.
I really don't understand. I imagine the point is that if you post a bunch of crap you get negative rep but if you are forced to identify who did it then that person is just going to give you negative rep just because you gave them some. What does that accomplish?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I agree with the clamor for more media. The way I see it, people that aren't regulars here or who aren't super bike-nerds can all appreciate bike pictures, videos, etc. It would attract people just killing time by checking out the new pics. I've always thought that NSMB.com had a cool feature wherein a couple pics grabbed from their gallery are displayed across the top of their boards homepage...I frequently see something cool and click...if we have a gallery, we should make it more accessible and obvious to users and visitors.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wumpus said:
I really don't understand. I imagine the point is that if you post a bunch of crap you get negative rep but if you are forced to identify who did it then that person is just going to give you negative rep just because you gave them some. What does that accomplish?

A bunch of negativity and...more traffic.

:cool:

J

JRB

It won't add traffic, but if we could reply to neg feedback, that would rock. I could flame the dillhole that disapproved me in DRB's lame thread, but didn't sign it.

Seriously - we should play the man card and have a chicks in bikinis forum. No nudes, of course, but rockin' some hot bikinis. :thumb: That will grow the community I can't tell you how many stupid forums about cell phones, calculators and speed boats I have joined to look at hot chicks.