Quantcast

How would you like your steak done?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like it charred on the outside to a nice crust, rare on the inside. Salt and pepper, throw it in a very hot pan or on a very hot grill, don't touch for a minute and a half or so, then flip it, cook it for another minute and a half, then let it sit for at least 5 minutes. That last part is very important - food retains heat and keeps cooking once off the flame. If you wait 'til it's done on the heat, it will be overcooked by the time you eat. And If you cut into it too early, all the juices pour out.

Some of you keep saying something like "medium rare on the bloody side." I don't get it - it's not medium if it's bloody. Most restaurants err on the side of overcooking in my experience. Rare should mean cooked through but still pink and still juicy, with no raw areas. If you want raw, order it "Blue."

To each his/her own, but I've never understood the appeal of charred grey steak. It's like chewing on a dried out football or something and doesn't taste like steak at all. Maybe you cover it in sauce or something to hide the taste? IMO, a good steak needs nothing but salt and pepper. If it's lean like a filet, maybe a little herb butter or truffle oil.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
it's an abomination to be serving Opus One in a glass like that. might as well use a rinsed out Smucker's jelly jar.

may i suggest something from the Riedel line:[/img]

Careful, with your nose that high in the air you might bump into the low rafters in the wine cellar. :p

I mean come on, "abomination"? Yeah Reidel is better but that glass is no tumbler, it would still allow decent aeration and bouquet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
Careful, with your nose that high in the air you might bump into the low rafters in the wine cellar. :p

I mean come on, "abomination"? Yeah Reidel is better but that glass is no tumbler, it would still allow decent aeration and bouquet.
The problem with those smaller shaped glasses is that you run the risk of splashing your wine all over if you give it a nice vigorous swirl. :p

-S.S.-

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
The problem with those smaller shaped glasses is that you run the risk of splashing your wine all over if you give it a nice vigorous swirl. :p

-S.S.-
Don't get me wrong, I've got a cabinet full of Reidel Vinum Bordeux glasses, I think they're the best ever. But if I don't have one I try not to let it ruin my enjoyment...and I don't use them every day.

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
when it comes to the subject of steak, or bacon, I beleive the more the better, so for my last scout trip we bought 5 lbs of bacon, and 15lbs of steaks. This was for about 8 people. :drool:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I once saw a man (fellow cyclist) eat a very rare (blue, cold inside) steak at Golden Corral. :dead:

I enjoy mine Medium-Rare/Mediumish depending on the place.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
Don't get me wrong, I've got a cabinet full of Reidel Vinum Bordeux glasses, I think they're the best ever. But if I don't have one I try not to let it ruin my enjoyment...and I don't use them every day.
You mean you don't take your own stemware out to dinner with you??!? :p

-S.S.-