Quantcast

How young is too young

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Hi,

My 14 year old son is really keen on racing DH this year but at least in Quebec he is too young, needs to be 15 !

Are there any places in the Northeast US that allow 14 year olds to compete in DH ?

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by Acadian
you should see all the young kids (under 14 I'm sure) ripping it up here in Cali! Simply AMAZING!! :thumb:
Even the 12 and under kids rip!!! I wish I would of started riding this young...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There's a guy named Mikey I've seen out at Sand Hill in Norcal. He's 8, I think. He can do heal clickers and other rad jumps, plus he hits big drops with lots of confidence. Makes guys way older look lame.

Props to all the supportive parents out there!!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Nope, I'm guessing the kid was 12...maybe a teenager, but if he was he was SMALL. On the lift ride up I kept trying to figure out if his wheels were 24" or not :D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
pain builds carachter,
i remember at mtn snow i was at the gate all hoped up and i look to my lef tand theres this 8 year old in full pads and a mini kona stinky, i felt like poop.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
hey, i say if there is grass on the field play ball....

oh...wrong thread. Sh!te.

uhhhh......:eek: :p

on a more serious note, i say never. get those kids racing.

~SGD

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
my buddie jack is only 15 and he raced last year and did realy well...he's turned into quite the little ripper. so it's never to young to start.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
ya, i have a friend who is 15 now and raced at 14 in junior x and was finishing top 5 at local races last season. And that was his first season.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Originally posted by Silver
I never knew how small a Giant DH Comp could get until last weekend at Big Bear...
that bike was tiny . never saw the kid riding though.

BTW, i thought canada was progressive. no DH until 15? that's downright kookie. :rolleyes:

R

RiDurbin

My youngest is 12 and just raced in Gotta Thunder at Big Bear, raced last year at age 11 in the Fall Classic. Had bad luck at Gotta Thunder, dropped his chain on the first run (improperly adjusted chainguide, thanks Dad) and crashed on the second run. He will be back to get his satisfaction at the Nationals in less then 2 weeks. My 14 year old also races but is out for most the season with a broken arm. They have both been trail riding since 8 yrs old.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I have been riding with my 8 year old son on DH trails this year. I may have him enter a local race or two this year depending on the course. He's not ready for any big stuff yet but he's getting better by the minute.

Sep 10, 2001
You may have seen my buddy Blake on the Giant at Big Bear... He is a little ripper. Been a BMX racer for years and pulled some strong fininshes at Sea Otter... His parents want me to take him to some of the DH runs we do... I am scared.... Don't want to be shown up by the kid!!!

Brian

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Come on down the the US!
Because you don't need an annual license to ride here he can race whatever class he wants.
There are 14 year old kids out there who are nearly pro-fast, Kyle Strait was one of them, Tyler McCaul is fast too. Come to think of it there are lots of 12-15 year old rippers all over the country, and they are all seemingly experts at keeping racing fun...

Personally I started racing xc when I was 12 and entered my first slalom race at 13 and dh race at 14. I didn't race much dh until 5 or 6 years later after I'd gone through the ranks with xc and road racing.
If your son does decide he enjoys dh racing, just make sure he finds some other non-cycling related sports that he can enjoy too. Going full-bore with training and racing at a really young age often leads to burnout in the late teens/early 20's.

Sep 10, 2001
Not to mention that mini Chumba is one of the sweetest bikes around!!

Also, look at that form... He is ready for anything on that run!

Brian

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Romic tech
My son started when he was 6. He is 8 now and loves it. Here he is at a race here in cal.
That is the sweetest picture I have ever seen.
You got a kid ripping down a DH course showing us all what life is all about, and you have a chick's azz in the left hand corner doing the same thing.
Man, what I would have done to be DHing at 8 years old.:)