Quantcast

Howdy yall!

Nov 22, 2004
my name is Herb and I like to bike! I just found out this place while searching the internet for cool mountain bike riding information. I been looking around and it seems like y'all know your stuff and know how to have a good time. I ride a Mongoose that my ex-wife bought for me, I like it pretty good but I want something with more suspension action to it. What's the best bet for about 200-300 bucks?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If you want to ride off road you should look for a used bike that is in good condition. New trail-worthy bikes start at about $400.

Edit: of course if you found an end of the year close out bike you may find a good trail bike for less than 400.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
For that price range, yeah, Id go used for sure, but I doubt youre going to find much suspension action for $200-300. You could maybe get a fork upgrade for your bike for that money and have a much better ride.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yep - you'll need to up the budget a bit. Buying and riding a low end bike will just be frustrating and end up costing you even more in repairs doctor bills. Look at a Giant Iguana or Raleigh M-Eighty.

Nov 22, 2004
I already have a giant iguana, but he's not near big enough to ride on. Full grown he's about 5 feet 4 inches. plus he's pretty slow. whats a Raleigh "M-eighty"?

Nov 22, 2004
that Raleigh is 500 bucks, that's more than I want. is teh m-20 a good bike, its only about 200. I really want both shocks though not just a hardback like both of those bikes.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Used. A bike swap is the best place to get a cheap bike. Stick with hardtail, super cheap full suspension bikes are generally overweight pieces of crap that dont hold up at all to offroad use. The cheapest acceptable FS bikes are at least 500 dollars. Honestly a 500 dollar hardtail would be ideal, if you ride any kind of offroad you will spend that replacing parts on a 300 dollar bike in no time(talking about new bikes here).

Nov 22, 2004
I bidded on the bike on ebay and I even put a pict of it as my forum avetar!!! I am soo excited to get an awesome new bike!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
good bike to get started on, where do you ride? I would probably buy a higher quality used hardtail. you will learn more as you get more experienced on the monkey about bikes and what desisiions to make when buying them

Nov 22, 2004
how much better could a bike get? this one has everything on it already. I don'tsee spending thousands of dollars on a bike anyways.

J

JRB

Herb Evirstincs said:
how much better could a bike get? this one has everything on it already. I don'tsee spending thousands of dollars on a bike anyways.
Welcome - keep the "I wouldn't spend blah blah" to a low rumble. Lots of folks will get cranky about that. Enjoy the monkey.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Heya Herb. Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you get a helmet to go with that spiffy new bike. And don't skimp in the helmet department. Your melon is worth far more than anything, and all it takes is one bad crash. You could end up retarded.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Herb Evirstincs said:
Herb, sorry to bust your bubble man, but that bike is a piece of crap. Not all suspentions, disk brakes, ect are created equal. At this low of a price point those kind of things are pretty much fake. Those disc brakes will work much more poorly than a mediocre set of V brakes and that rear suspension if it moves at all will have the ride quality of a pogo stick. Listen to the advice on here man, buy a bike shop quality brand, low end hardtail and you will be good to go.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Hello Herb. Glad you found this site.

Don't buy that bike. It will be as heavy as a pig and have really low quality components. I'd be scared for my life if I took that on the trails I ride. Go to a few bike shops and test ride a few lower end hardtails from some of the larger mtb manufacturers (Giant, Trek, Specialized, etc). Then start shopping eBay and classifieds and see if you can find a used version of the bike that fits you best. Seriously, go test ride a few bikes. You will be amazed at how different some bikes feel compared to others.

Also, I see in the ad that you posted that assembly is required. Have you ever worked on a full suspension bike before, much less built one up? If not, you're asking for a world of trouble.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
TheInedibleHulk said:
Herb, sorry to bust your bubble man, but that bike is a piece of crap. Not all suspentions, disk brakes, ect are created equal. At this low of a price point those kind of things are pretty much fake. Those disc brakes will work much more poorly than a mediocre set of V brakes and that rear suspension if it moves at all will have the ride quality of a pogo stick. Listen to the advice on here man, buy a bike shop quality brand, low end hardtail and you will be good to go.
Why'd ya have to go and ruin Santa and the Tooth Fairy for the dude? You might as well just go for a fuggin' three-bagger and spill the beans about the stork while you're at it! ;)

J

JRB

llkoolkeg said:
Why'd ya have to go and ruin Santa and the Tooth Fairy for the dude? You might as well just go for a fuggin' three-bagger and spill the beans about the stork while you're at it! ;)
Nice :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i prefer Magna's myself. alot of people on here don't understand the frugalness of a high end quality full suspension mt. bike at low cost. But Mongooses are cool too i guess i just like any bike company that starts with the letter M. :)

J

JRB

Skookum said:
i prefer Magna's myself. alot of people on here don't understand the frugalness of a high end quality full suspension mt. bike at low cost. But Mongooses are cool too i guess i just like any bike company that starts with the letter M. :)
What if there was a Moss' bikes????

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
dh boyeee said:
i cant tell if this guy is joking or not
Gots to be .... Herb Ever Stinks??? :D

Skookum said:
i prefer Magna's myself.
Don't underestimate the power of the Magna. Best commuter I ever had. Left it unlocked for days at a time and it would still be wherever I left it. In fact, I bet it's still where I left ... only I was so drunk I can't remember where that is. :p

Nov 22, 2004
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Gots to be .... Herb Ever Stinks??? :D
I've never heard that one before :rolleyes: besides, the E in my last name is a long E.

As far as helemts go aren't they all government rated so they're all the same strength wise?

Nov 22, 2004
oh i forgot to mention, i won the auction on the bike! I can't wait to get it and ride some serious off-road!!!!!

happy turkey day y'all!