Quantcast

Howie Duty

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Howdy.

I put some information up about the new Howie here.

Looks the same as the old bike, but is actually quite different. Hopefully folks dig the changes.

I'm happy to answer questions about it here or via e-mail.

-L

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Nice work! I like the idea of the "mid 90" bottom bracket, and am curious as to exactly how it is different.
The weight is amazing at 4.8 lbs!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
wider bb shell. guessing tonic fabricated some tube spacers to fit perfect and good ole mid bearings to finish it off.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Nice work! I like the idea of the "mid 90" bottom bracket, and am curious as to exactly how it is different.
The weight is amazing at 4.8 lbs!
The mid 90 is just a wider Mid-BB.

There's really not much different..just a wider shell and center spacer.

I came up with the Mid-90 as a means to get away from the yoke we've been using. The bike is quite a bit lighter and much less expensive / difficult to manufacture.

Tire clearance isn't as good as the Howie, but a 2.3 will fit just fine.

The new geometry seems to work pretty well too.

-L

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
The Mid-90 is slick. Nice thinking on that. The whole bike looks ultra clean.

I love the "land back tire first into tranny" tip from the free rider - hahaha - I'm doing it all wrong.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The 90mm mid shell is exactly what we have been doing on the custom trials and street bikes we've been doing... I built someone a 14" stayed 24" trials bike a few weeks ago... I hope more people adopt it, as it really makes sense for these bikes...

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
That is a great idea. I have a few questions:

It appears you are using a thin driveside profile cone spacer on the non-driveside and no spacer at all on the driveside, just the sprocket hat washer against the drive bearing?

5 3/4" spindle?

Have you tried a spline drive sprocket on it?

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Thanks for the kind words about this bike. Sure, the world needs another bike like this like it needs another tropical hurricane, but hey...it's what we do, so we may as well do it as well as we can.

Mickey: I wasn't aware of your bikes using a wider Mid, but I'm not surprised other folks have implemented this. The only other person using a wider mid to my knowledge is Greg Melms. I was describing the BB to him via e-mail, and it turns out his bikes already had a similar feature. Oh well.

That said, obviously I think this arrangement makes sense. Something that still makes no sense to me are single speed mountain bike hubs. The chain-line is all over the place. The good news is that bikes do not need a perfect chain line to function well.

Cornfed: The bikes will ship with a slim washer to slip inbetween the bearing and the sprocket for using a Tree, or otherwise non-adaptor sprocket. I don't see why a Tree spline drive sprocket wouldn't work.

Yeah, a 5.75 spindle works with about 20mm of overlap. I believe Profile recommends 1/2"(?) so you are dialed with a standard BMX spindle. Although it makes sense just to get the 6" spindle if you are buying everything new.

I don't know if Wombolts or Fly cranks will work.

Tetrault: Frames should ship by the end of July.

Sittingduck: Hey, I've got to (try to) ride your trails sometime. I've been drilling it, but when I get a break, I'd like to come down.

Miraculously, our site is updated with the new info?!?!

But a summary:

BB is a little taller (10mm), and HT angle a little steeper (.5 degrees). Everthing else is the same.

I know every bike company says this, but...this bike bike rides, really, really well.

-L

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
That said, obviously I think this arrangement makes sense. Something that still makes no sense to me are single speed mountain bike hubs. The chain-line is all over the place. The good news is that bikes do not need a perfect chain line to function well.
I think 135mm SS hubs will build a stronger/stiffer wheel for 26". 110mm hub flange spacing w/ a 26" rim will have longer spokes and less triangulation from flange to rim than the same hub w/ a smaller diameter rim. I rode an old monocog w/ 110 and the rear wheel isn't as stiff.135 is overkill for smaller diameter rims though.

I don't see why a Tree spline drive sprocket wouldn't work.
The reason I asked is the thickness of the tree gear and the off-set teeth have a negative impact on chain alignment w/ a 135mm spaced hub, especially with bigger tooth counts. Spacingit out farther isn't really feasable due to the thickness. The drive arm will be spaced farther away from the frame. My fix is to flip the sprocket, but that leaves the shoulder of the spline insert on the outside, which would still require a washer on your set-up. No big deal, I would just add one to the other side w/ a 6" spindle to keep the arms evenly spaced. if you were already incoporating 6" spindle, this would be too wide for me.

Thanks for your time. I really like this frame.

Last edited:

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Cornfed: I'm not refering to flanges. I'm refering to the location of the cog / driver. There is no standard for this and as a result, it's all over the place. I think the best solution are hubs like the Profile 6 spd. Same shell as the SS, so you can build a zero dish wheel and still have a significant amount of CL adjustment.

I really don't understand your concern with the Tree sprocket? Sounds like to would work?

I'm glad these questions are being asked. I think a short video of setting up this bike would answer a lot of questions.

-L

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
I really don't understand your concern with the Tree sprocket? Sounds like to would work?
Ahh, it sounds like your issues are 1 piece drivers. No alignment adjustability.

Well, without going into detail, I have chain alignment/ sprocket clearance issues with my current set-up(30/14) and my drive arm has 8mm more clearance than my non-drive arm. The in-set sprocket teeth, thickness of the sprocket, and 135mm spacing are some of the issues I am having.

I am just trying see if your frame fixes the issues I am having w/o increasing Q factor.

Last edited:

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Oh, I am using this bike for BMX racing, that's why I am so anal about it. I have right knee issues I am trying to correct.