Quantcast

How's the riding in the Monterey Bay area?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've been to Sea Otter, so I'm not expecting epic DH here, but what is there to offer/how far is it from the major population centers? Fort Ord is mostly XC stuff I know, but beyond that I'm pretty lost. Probably moving out there come winter and going to CSUMB.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
There are some trails a little up north from Monterey. Let me know when you make it into the area and I can show you some good DH/Freeride trails.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
What Josh said. Santa Cruz is about 30-45 mins north and has some very nice trails. There's also some fun shuttle-able, but short DH in Monterey if you know where to look.

For major population centers, from CSUMB you've got Salinas 15 mins east and San Jose 1 hr north.

Drop me a PM when you get into town. I graduated from csumb a few years back.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've heard SC has some killer riding...I'm also contemplating going to UCSC, but that would be a bit more of a stretch. Too much $$$, sadly.

Where's the nice places to live? We (girlfriend and I) will be staying at her mom's place in Cupertino while we look for jobs and housing. Is Seaside a nice place? I just like being close to school...otherwise we'll probably end up in Monterey. I've heard Salinas is a bit of a dump.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Salinas is pretty much farming area. It all kind of smells. You can find a decent place in Santa Cruz, Capitola, Aptos, Scotts Valley, or Live Oak on the Santa Cruz side. Brian would be more help down south. There are some SUPER fun trails in the Santa area. I don't really want to get into the details online because people are pretty testy when it comes to posting stuff online. I assure you there are some fun trails around here. Check the craiglist for the Santa Cruz county. What kind of price range are you looking for?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Therin lies the problem...I know we'll be making more than here, but how much more is the question. I'm estimating 1000-1300 for a 1br. I've noticed there aren't many 1 bedroom places listed. Is this for lack of supply or excessive demand?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Driving from Santa Cruz to csumb can be a bit of a commute. Traffic in the morning around Santa Cruz is crazy.

Salinas is also considered kind of far if you go to csumb, but it's not really and the housing prices are defintely cheaper than around Monterey. You just have to make sure you move in to the correct neighborhood.

Good close to csumb housing would probably be Marina, but it's foggy there like 95% of the time, including in the summer time so if you don't like grey skies, I'd avoid it.

Seaside woudln't be so good to move in to. It's also close to csumb, but most of the area is kinda sketchy. An exception to that rule would be http://www.sunbaysuites.com/index.html. They're more on Ft. Ord than Seaside, about 5 mins from csumb and lots of csumb kids live there. The down side is the rooms are kinda small. I'm not sure what rent is there now, but I was paying $1125/mo for 2 bed 1 bath.

Other place to look for that are fairly close would be Monterey or Pacific Grove. Pacific Grove has lots of smaller houses for rent, and monterey has some good apartments just up from their downtown areas.

If you find any places around Monterey you're intrested in, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you if the neighborhood sucks or not.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Looks like we are definitely set on Santa Cruz/UCSC. Caitlin has decided CSUMB probably wouldn't look as good as UCSC when applying to med schools, as well as the commute that would likely be involved with going there. The $$$ concerns have been ruled out, it's not AS expensive as was originally thought.

So yeah, SC monkies...Sketchy areas, not so sketchy areas, where online to find places and jobs? Like I said, there seems to be an overabundance of Studios over 1 bedroom places (at least from a CL perspective). What do I need to expect to pay for a decent 1br place that allows cats?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
UCSC was probably a better call if you're continuing your education somewhere else after. Don't know about price in the area, but if I were moving to the SC area, I'd probably start looking in Aptos.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Avoid places in the flats in SC (AKA near the boardwalk). If you were able to find something near campus it would be pretty nice. The area is great.

As for jobs, santacruzjobs.com or montereybayhelpwanted.com is also good. What field are you looking to get into? If its retail, plenty of places in downtown sc and capitola.

Most places are cool with cats in sc as long as they are house trained. You can search on craiglist for places that take cats. Expect to pay anywhere from $750 (pretty ghetto for that rice) to $1,000+.

UCSC campus is really nice and up in the hills. Plus all of the riding right up the road behind the campus. =]

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Avoid places in the flats in SC (AKA near the boardwalk). If you were able to find something near campus it would be pretty nice. The area is great.

As for jobs, santacruzjobs.com or montereybayhelpwanted.com is also good. What field are you looking to get into? If its retail, plenty of places in downtown sc and capitola.

Most places are cool with cats in sc as long as they are house trained. You can search on craiglist for places that take cats. Expect to pay anywhere from $750 (pretty ghetto for that rice) to $1,000+.

UCSC campus is really nice and up in the hills. Plus all of the riding right up the road behind the campus. =]
Cool, thanks for the info. The price sounds about right...we currently pay $750 in SLC for a fairly nice place, I'm hoping the gap will be bridged by the higher pay in SC. I can work in retail, but I'd really be looking for something in a law firm or courthouse as I have a fair amount of experience there. Caitlin has office work experience, but can also do the retail/food service gigs.

Whats the pay like there for entry-level stuff? $10/hour? I'd expect more working at a firm or something, but yeah.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I would check Monster.com and those other sites too for jobs and whatnot. I really don't know for sure on how much the entry level stuff would be. I haven't been in retail in over 4 years.

Be sure to hit me up when you are moving over and we could meet up. =]

Congrats on making to call for UCSC. Like Total Heckler has stated, stay away from the "Flats" when looking for housing. Anything on the "West Side" is a good call for UC students. Most places are indeed cool with cats, but have the extra deposit funds in hand for that. If you're moving up right before classes start, be ready for some serious competition for housing.

As far as riding goes, there's quit abit of stuff around. You can also drive about an hour or less in any direction and find additionally fun trails. The other thing is don't expect people to post alot of info on the boards. Stick to PM's, keep things low key and you should be able to find the goods, because as everyone knows, there are no good DH/Freeride trails in SC.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Looks like movetime has been bumped to May...it will just be easier then, as much as I'd like to get out there before the Salt Lake winter sets in :(

How's the bars? I assume lots of college town bars and such...thank God, no stupid Utah liqour laws! The booze must flow!

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
As far as schools go, just in case you decide that CSUMB might be something to look into again, I can tell you ALL about it. I went to school there for a very long time and still occasionally substitute for one of the profs there. I've seen that school grow and even get somewhat organized. BTW, the math department there totally rocks.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
Shhhh...the piece of plastic tells fibs.

A Utah fake should be gold in CA.
It'll be gold at all of the bars and clubs the trendy chicks won't get near. So, as long as you like going to bars with cool chicks instead of clubs with trendy chicks you'll be fine.