Quantcast

how's this for a buildup?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just doing some preliminary pricing and was wondering what you all thought about this list. Trying to build up a good, all around trail bike. Frame will most likely be an Ironhorse Hollowpoint with swinger shock. Gotta be under 30lbs, hoping for something in the neighborhood of 27lbs.

BTW... I've already go a few parts laying around, so the list below is not 100% complete for a full frame buildout.

Attachments

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
It's ok. Seems to me it would be much, much easier to keep the weight down by not using the LX stuff. I mean if I was going all out on those wheels, I'd spend the extra couple of bucks and go XT with the shifters and most especially the cassette. Price also seems a bit high. When ordering so much stuff from the same place, negotiate a little with them and see what they can do for you. I'd give them a call.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Would I really save that much weight just by going with XT cassette and shifters? I've never been much of a weight weenie, so it's hard for me to see how 2 relatively small parts would save any noticable weight. Or is it more the idea that every little bit helps?

According to Jensen, LX shifters are 249g and XTs are 240g. LX cassette is 327g and XT is 264g.

And yes, the price is a bit high, but I went to JensenUSA just to get an idea of what everything would cost. I'm going to bo through my LBS as much as possible, and I know they will work with me where they can.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'd definetly go for an XT cassette and standard tires with sealant (see sig.). Other items of personal preference would be a longer seat post, SRAM shifting, and if it were me, I'd probably go for a Fox fork at that price. Also, just to throw it out there, we can build you lighter wheels on better hubs for about the same price. Seeing as how you are so close, shipping wouldn't be a problem - hell, I'd deliver them to you.

PM me some time, we should get together for a ride in Shindagin or Chenango State Park.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have to agree with everything that MikeB said. Especially about the tires. I have found that the regular pythons with Stans system works great. And since the regular tires are cheaper you will save $$ in the long run not to mention about 1lb or rotating weight. Also check the sizing on your cranks, you have 170mm selected, unless you have stumpy legs go with 175mm. I would also save a few bucks and get an LX crankset instead, it would be cheaper and I think the only difference is the XT has aluminim small ring and alloy bolts which = only about 40grams in weight savings.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by Mike B.
Also, just to throw it out there, we can build you lighter wheels on better hubs for about the same price. Seeing as how you are so close, shipping wouldn't be a problem - hell, I'd deliver them to you.
Such as? I don't know much about wheelsets, so any help would be appreciated. Also, who's the "we" you mention... do you work at a shop?

PM me some time, we should get together for a ride in Shindagin or Chenango State Park.
Definitely... I'm actually going to to state park today... hopefully it's starting to dry out. But once summer rolls in, we'll definitely get together. Have you ridden at Oakley Corners?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Such as? I don't know much about wheelsets, so any help would be appreciated. Also, who's the "we" you mention... do you work at a shop?
"We" as in Stan's NoTubes. American Classic hubs with our ZTR355 rims can be built as light as 1400 grams. We also stock Hugi 240s for the same price and King hubs are available for just a little more. Check the website for details.

Definitely... I'm actually going to to state park today... hopefully it's starting to dry out. But once summer rolls in, we'll definitely get together. Have you ridden at Oakley Corners?
You're lucky to be getting out. I'm up to my eyeballs in paint and crown molding right now. I'm also waiting on a new fork for my XC bike. Yeah, I've ridden Oakley Corners, warm up on the lake side and go have some fun on the upper side. Jenksville is also a good time when it's not wet.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
One advantage to the XT cassette over the LX is that with the XT, the cogs are mounted on a spider, which is better for your freehub (LX has a bunch of cogs and spacer, which can chew up an aluminum freehub body). King for example does not recommend using lower than an XT cassette on their hubs.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
"We" as in Stan's NoTubes. American Classic hubs with our ZTR355 rims can be built as light as 1400 grams. We also stock Hugi 240s for the same price and King hubs are available for just a little more. Check the website for details.
Ah, I didn't realize you were with Stan's... or are you "the Stan"?

I checked out the website. For the setup described on the site, they recommend only for riders less than 175lbs. I go about 185, and I love the north trails at oakley (so you know kinda how I ride). I don't abuse my bike, but I do ride it pretty hard. Would you recommend that same setup, but with beefier spokes, or is there a better setup for me?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Ah, I didn't realize you were with Stan's... or are you "the Stan"?

I checked out the website. For the setup described on the site, they recommend only for riders less than 175lbs. I go about 185, and I love the north trails at oakley (so you know kinda how I ride). I don't abuse my bike, but I do ride it pretty hard. Would you recommend that same setup, but with beefier spokes, or is there a better setup for me?
LOL, I'm not Stan, people have asked us before if I was his son and if you ever met us and his wife you'd understand just how odd that is. Anyway, I go 175-180 ready to ride and would feel comfortable with our lightest possible build. However, for you, we'd probably go with the Supercomp spokes but no problem with the hubs. There are riders up to 220 on that setup. The new American Classics have been ordered but aren't in yet. Hugi and King are in stock. You could call anytime (607-739-2301) and talk to Stan about what would work for you or we'll all get together for a ride and you can see the wheels yourself before you decide.

BTW, how were the trails at state park?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I ended up not going to state park due to time constraints. I rode oakley instead. I only rode the south trails - I thought the north trails would still be much to sloppy, and I'm not sure I'm in good enough shape at the moment to ride the north. But the south trails were in pretty good shape. Still some snow here and there, but only 1 trail was hard to ride because of the snow. Everything else was in pretty good shape. It was a great ride - I' love the Oakley trails.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Use a Sram 9.0 cassette instead. XT cassettes bend like butter. Sram is much more durable and shifts just as well. Otherwise, stick with LX. Although I would rather use Sram 7.0 than LX myself.

You also might consider a Thomson stem to match that seatpost. I have a Deus stem on one bike and Thomson on two others, and definitely prefer Thomson. The bolts on the Deus stem can really slice your knees open. I have the scars to prove it. ;)

J

JRB

Yo jackson - if you can stand a silver post, I will hook you up with a 26.8 that doesn't fit any thing I have. It is 26.8 Thomson 350mm I think. Will have to look. Call Charles at Hammerhead in Austin about the fork. He can get you a better deal. 512-331-2002 is his number. I would take $20 plus shipping, which is like $4 for the post. It has a few scratches, but nothing bad. I can email you pictures if you like.

Sram cassettes are tough, but they have goofy gear spacing in my opinion.