Quantcast

Hows this for lucky to walk away!!!!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I do medflight helicopter ops as part of my Fire Dept. job. A bird crashing is one of my biggest fears. We had fog whip in at 3am just as Stanford Life Flight was lifting from the parking lot at the intersection of Hwys 9& 35. There are 80-100 tall trees on two sides of the landing zone and power lines on the other two. when the helo got into the fog he lost his horzion and started occilating and drifting towards the power lines. The IC radioed the warning Power lines at your rear , go forward and down now. They cut power and came down forward and hit the ground hard, those of us on the ground had jumped behind the engine or went over the side of the road into the drainage ditch. We got everyone out and sent them off in a ground ambulance. The helo sat in the lot until Mechanics and the FAA cleared it for flight to a repair center. Scared the piss out of me as I was close to both the helo and the power lines [ I dove into the ditch].

That crew in the video is so lucky, especially the ground crewman that was under the helo to do the hook up and the pilot.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Hmmm Curious what happened here, almost hear a shaft snap, or a gear bearing seizing....... Amazing how much force is actually running in these.
Pretty sure the first sound you hear is the rotor hitting the cable. If you look closely you can see it get sucked into the rotor arc. The high pitch squeal you can hear after the helicopter comes to rest is probably the turbine in distress/spooling down. Safe to assume that everything is no longer square or in alignment. Tolerances are pretty tight so it doesn't take much.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok I didnt see the line hitting the rotor either.... That explains the tail snapping off teh way it did.... But Yeah I know the whine afterwords is the turbine spooling down..... Good reminder for people to know how long it really takes for these motors to shut down completly

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Shonte Jr.: Anybody know how to fly this damn thing?
Jamaal: Motherf*cker, it can't be that hard, it's just lift versus drag and rotation.
Lee Harvey: Yeah, man, get your head out your ass.