Quantcast

hpey Bicycle Steering Dampers Releases NEW Gravity Damper

SMP

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004

"NEW hopey gravity steering damper. For your downhill specific blasts.

Hi.. Tim Hopey here. I’d like to take a moment to explain our new hopey gravity steering damper, but I first want to thank all of you that have used hopeys over the past several years. We have received countless accolades from you and we truly appreciate your patronage and enthusiasm. Thank you all very much!

Our new gravity is named such because it’s intended for those who like to blast downhill. The hopey gravity specifically offers no damping at low handlebar turning speeds because we understand that some riders do not want to feel damping when they are picking thru tight corners or rock gardens. Our gravity activates the damping at a handlebar turning speed equal to the maximum turning speed that a human can physically turn the handlebars, meaning gravity won’t damp until your ride demands it.

Either our original or our gravity will give you miles of smiles, it is truly rider preference on what you want to feel or not to feel in your steering. Our years of experience and testing tell us that our original is preferred on smooth flowing slalom type runs and cross country rides because it holds the bars straight and helps you climb whereas our gravity is preferred in technical downhill runs.

The choice is yours.. The original hopey steering damper for all-mountain stability or our new hopey gravity steering damper for those downhill blasts!

Tim Hopey"

This new damper has been in testing and development for over a year now. Finally released it to the public. www.hopey.org

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you know, I have one of these in a box in the basement. I always wanted to try it but at the time I couldn't install it right. Now I think I can slap it on and go...I always imagined it would be great for a steeper HA bike, so it handled well in both high speed and low speed environments.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
So it won't work on anything with an integrated headset? Seems appropriate?
Right. If your frame doesn't have a headset cup, you're SOL. You can use it with a zero stack, as they supply a deeper cup for installation. (Check their catalog.)

For my frame the problem I see, is most of the flush mount 1.5 reducer headsets out there don't have cups deep enough to handle their 1.5 mount. If they combined the "Superlight" bracket's thin design, it could work...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
This seems like a solution to a non-existent problem. I've never experienced, seen, or even heard of a "tank slapper" on a mountain bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think the problem has mostly been fixed on modern DH bikes by having retardedly slack head angles. Would be interesting to see how it actually performed. I can't see any logical reason not to run one, besides adding weight.

FWIW, while it wasn't a "tank slapper" my old racelink suffered from a lot of "wheel flop" due to the offset of the fork in combination with the short TT and steep HA. I wanted one of these to help out, but ended up just getting rid of the bike.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's amazing most people don't understand the benefits of a Hopey.
If the flavor of the month ain't running it, it must be useless.
Ahh whatever,...I'm so 2001 also.
its sometimes hard to see the benefit of something until you ride/experience it. while i never tried a Hopey on a DH bike, i did like the contraption on the xc bike i rode.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
This seems like a solution to a non-existent problem. I've never experienced, seen, or even heard of a "tank slapper" on a mountain bike.
i was thinking about steering dampers for dh bikes but not in the tankslapper scenario but helping you hold the line through big rockgardens. that's why bigger bars became popular in the first place. i had at least one situation where i believe a steering damper would have kept me on the bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Long days at the resort run after run on nasty stuff it helps with arm pump and maintains the front end a bit better. I had one on a few different bikes and loved them especially when slamming into a rock or rocks out of a corner or coming in hot and not getting it lined up right.
My main reason is a really bad wrist that locks up on too many jarring hits or continuous hammering then I'm down for a bit.
Either way its good to see Tim come out with a upgraded product its been a while....

Some will some wont but at least there is a choice...:thumb:

Last edited: