Quantcast

hsc and lsc problems on Totem

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
continuing the saga of never-ending problems for my Totem...
now my hsc and lsc doesnt work. whenever i stand on my bike on a steep downhill incline, i can almost bottom out the fork by sitting the bike. this problem happened once or twice (air pressure was ok).
the floodgate and 2-step work fine though.

i turn the hsc and lsc all the way from fully open to fully closed, but no discernible effect is felt.

i remember, in other forks, when i cranked the motion control compression to fully closed, the fork would become really stiff.

the compression damping, seems pretty much the same regardless of compression adjusters.

is the mission control compression damper user serviceable?
what do i need to fix it? is it only o-rings?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Check your oil levels!

That fork is sensitive to under filling and the RS quoted oil volumes are not very generous.
This is absolutely correct. A common cause of the oil level suddenly being too low is the seal at the bottom of the damper tube leaking oil into the lowers - it doesn't take much before all of a sudden you have no compression damping whatsoever. Drain the oil out of the lowers with the bleed screws on the back of the lowers - if there appears to be more than 10mL come out of the damper side, there's your problem (in fact I would all but guarantee that's your problem anyway!). If you can match the o-rings yourself then by all means replace them yourself, otherwise find a Totem service kit.