Quantcast

html frames question

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
google isn't doing me right today. prolly 'cause I don't know how to word the search correctly....

our website uses a frameset doc. and one of our partners wants to put a link on their site that targets a specific page on our site. but they want to see our whole site, not just the internal page.

is there a way to make an <a href> tag call up a frame and a given page inside the frameset? I'm sure I've done this before but can't find an example.

:help:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
One way would be to make a copy of the frameset doc and change the frame source to the specific page they want to see. Then get them to link to the copy.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
not gunna do that.....

then I'd have to manage another page.....I've got too much to do as it is.

next?

rideLIKEjehu

Monkey
Jul 11, 2001
495/66/50/29
hm, it's been a while since i've dealt with frames...

hm, monkeying around with it in dreamweaver, i dunno if you can do that without some sort of script. for example... include a variable in the link from your partner's site and then process that variable once it calls up your site.

:think:

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
Can you not direct link to the specific page they want? Whenever I work in frames I have a mainframe for each page and a frameset for each page that will contain the header and navigation info. ex

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
KFulch said:
Can you not direct link to the specific page they want? Whenever I work in frames I have a mainframe for each page and a frameset for each page that will contain the header and navigation info. ex

I'm not real sure what your saying...

I have a main frameset doc. and that calls up my internal pages.

if you type in our URL such as www.ourwebpage.com it pulls up the frameset and the frameset pulls up the pages it is supposed to.

If you type in our URL and add the internal page to the end like www.ourwebpage.com/internalpage.htm then it pulls up just the internal page without the frameset.

I don't think there is an easy way to do what I want.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
pnj said:
is there a way to make an <a href> tag call up a frame and a given page inside the frameset? I'm sure I've done this before but can't find an example.
Hmmm. I think you're out off luck, unless you do what D_D suggests. And as far as having to manage it, its just going to be another frameset, so there won't be any new info to manage or change. It'll just call up content pages that you already have. It should take you no more that 5 minutes to make this new frameset and upload to your server and you should be good to go.