Quantcast

Hub choice?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Profile MTB S.S. hub or Atomlab Aircorp s.s. hub?

Will be running a 12t cog, possibly move to something smaller in the future. I'm running a 26/12 and dig it.

I like the look/idea of the profile cassette with a lockring vs. the thread on cog of the atomlab... I'm thinkin it would be easier to remove the cogs "if" I did want to swap them, most likely it would be to a one piece driver (so kinda a non issue) but that's just my thought

Probably will go 36h...

I like the female axle on the atomlab vs. the nutted axle on profile and the price of the atomlab is cheaper... (will be paying MSRP if anyone has any suggestions or wants to hook a fellow monkey up shoot me a PM)

Pros/Cons to either or?

Do either develope play or come loose often or known for this or that? Anything to watch out for?

thanks for any feedback/info

p.s.- will be laced to a ex721 via dt competition maybe champion spokes (haven't decided on DB or SG)

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
I run 26-12 too. I choose the Hope Pro II Bolt-In Hub 32h, not the SS-Version (saves weight). It's real lite and pretty stiff! Then a simple converter with 12t cog, some holes ;) - ready to ride!

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
^^ What is the weight difference from the SS to the 9-speed cassette? I would sacrifice the weight difference for the added strength of a SS hub/wheel set-up. Depends of course if you ever want gears...

If I had to do it over I would go with the Profile MTB SS disc hub with Ti 12t driver. I did a Woodman (same as Nashbar) and while it is heavy (580g) it is very good, great 4-pawl, cartridge bearing design and costs only $49.99. Uses a Shimano style cassette and lockring.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Nashbar FTW. You can stick a Ti driver in them if you want micro gearing. 25/11 is nice. 22or23/10 would be sweet too.

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
^^ What is the weight difference from the SS to the 9-speed cassette? I would sacrifice the weight difference for the added strength of a SS hub/wheel set-up. Depends of course if you ever want gears...

If I had to do it over I would go with the Profile MTB SS disc hub with Ti 12t driver. I did a Woodman (same as Nashbar) and while it is heavy (580g) it is very good, great 4-pawl, cartridge bearing design and costs only $49.99. Uses a Shimano style cassette and lockring.
The 9s weights 298g, the SS 350g.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the hope ss model also has a steel freehub body unlike the geared version. it also has double the ratchet points (48). i got one on my street bike (the ss version) and love it. it use to be on my trials bike and never missed a beat.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I'm guessing you want a 10mm axle. If I were you, get the Halo SS hub. I forgot the name, I have one, it's a 14mm axle one but it's sweet. Not super heavy, but works flawlessly.
yup it's for a mob, I currently have a hadley with a spacer/cog set up, but it seems to be slipping.... i haven't pinpointed whether it's the freehub body itself which it may be because it's a 108pt, or if it's the chain on the cog (gusset), I will have this wheel sent in as soon as I build up the other, so I can have it replaced with the more reliable 72pt set up.

so I'm gonna use this wheelset on my squishy bike.... and build a proper wheelset for my mob...

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I just noticed it looks like the the mtb s.s. profile hub uses threaded studs that thread into the aluminum axle inside the hub, I'm not too stoaked on that either..... doesn't look all that solid IMO

thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm still lookin.... keep the info comin....

sittingduck just curious, do any 1 piece drivers fit that hub or is there a certain brand? (I do see that ti driver in the pic you listed on dancomp) A buddy has the woodman version and just tried a demolition driver and said it had some play, didn't quite fit in there very snug, I didn't see it with my own eyes and I believe he's already shipped the driver back....

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Go for the Hope Pro II Trials/SS version. It has a 6spd freehub body so you CAN run a few gears if you ever want to, and they are bombproof. Plus, if you care, they have great engagement and sound sick :D

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
sittingduck just curious, do any 1 piece drivers fit that hub or is there a certain brand? (I do see that ti driver in the pic you listed on dancomp) A buddy has the woodman version and just tried a demolition driver and said it had some play, didn't quite fit in there very snug, I didn't see it with my own eyes and I believe he's already shipped the driver back....
I have an odyssey driver, and it fit the nashbar hub nicely. I had some issues with it making some noises, but like an idiot I had greased it, and the grease was the cause of the issue. I think demolition drivers are specific to their hubs, and not meant to fit in the others.
You will need to get two 12X28mm bearings, as most drivers come with 14x28. I bought 10 of them online for about $15.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I run 26-12 too. I choose the Hope Pro II Bolt-In Hub 32h, not the SS-Version (saves weight). It's real lite and pretty stiff! Then a simple converter with 12t cog, some holes ;) - ready to ride!

ouch, those speed-holes hurt me, inside my soul I feel pain. :nopity: haha.... :imstupid:

Yeah, I've had good luck with my hope proII 9spd too, but that's on a geared bike. I wouldn't run it with a single steel cog because it would gouge the aluminum freehub body pretty badly after awhile. Also, like DirtBag said, I'd rather have the wider flange spacing/more even spoke lengths of an SS wheel than an offset 9spd...

Castle, I feel ya' on the 3pc axle on the mtb version of the Profile, it's too bad they have no other options, although I'm sure one could be made if someone put some effort towards it.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Like I said in the pm, I love my Aircorp SS. Just thought I'd chime in on thread since nobody else has mentioned it. It's light, reliable, looks cool, and sounds rad. It's def not as "blingy" as a profile, though... those things are definite eye catchers.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
The 9s weights 298g, the SS 350g.
Yes for the extra 52g + a few g in extra spoke length I will take the stronger wheel hands down.

That said I also wonder how the Profile would hold up with the mounting hardware. I think I will look into the Hope SS:

Looks nice - but do they make a 36 hole?:

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I haven't found a 36h hope pro 2 yet....

I'm waiting to here back from Mike @ Atomlab.... he's in asia somewhere... japan or something, forget what he said...

that halo hub looks pretty nice but haven't found them anywhere, beyondbikes is it and they have a horrible rep.

that nashbar hub is really tempting to save some cash.... but pretty heavy.... could do it laced to something cheap like a rhynolite for probably around 100 bucks....

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Looked at the hope. Not a big fan of an aluminum cassette body on a single speed. Probably would be okay with a Surly cog. I just think it would eventually wear.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
received my hub today.

I was hesitant going with this hub.... but there wasn't much else on the market with what I wanted...

I really didn't like the threaded axle studs used on the profile hub.... I wish they would do something differently with that.

I'm pretty stoked on this hub from what I can tell the quality is def. there. We'll see in a few months how it holds up, should have it laced up week after next, ordered the rim and spokes today.

thanks for all your help!

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
Nice. I really think you'll like it. I haven't heard any hub that sounds so sweet.

Word. I love my Aircorp SS hub, it sounds amazing. Mine's been running solid for a while now. I haven't had to do any maintenance ether. Because of how rad this hub has been to me, it made my decision even easyer when picking out a front hub/full wheel. The Aircorp series from Atomlab is awsome.

Looks good Castle, post some pics when you get the wheel built up.