Quantcast

Hub Flange spacing?

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
I need to buy a new set of wheels, and I got thinking about hubs, and flange spacing in particular.

In most hubs the flanges are spaced out in such a way that the rim will not be in the middle of both flanges, but closer to one of them.

I came across some hubs that have the flanges positioned differently so that the rim is symmetrically positioned in the middle of the flanges. They claim that this builds a stronger wheel.
It does also reduced the angle at wich the spokes reach the rim. Isn't this going to reduce wheel strength?

So wich configuration will provide the stronger wheel?
Does anyone have experience with the "symmetrical" flanged hubs?

Thanks

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Yes, that hub will be weaker (from the aspect of sideways force onthe wheel). there is no advantage to that design besides equal length spokes. - design engineer

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yes, that hub will be weaker (from the aspect of sideways force onthe wheel). there is no advantage to that design besides equal length spokes. - design engineer

Equal spoke tension. 'Normal' rear hubs have dramatically different tensions R to L. The idea is OK, that is to equalize the tension, by equalizing the spoke angle, BUT they went the wrong way. Now both sides have the high tension and bad angle that was only on the drive side of a 'normal' hub.

I agree..bad!

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Equal spoke tension. 'Normal' rear hubs have dramatically different tensions R to L. The idea is OK, that is to equalize the tension, by equalizing the spoke angle, BUT they went the wrong way. Now both sides have the high tension and bad angle that was only on the drive side of a 'normal' hub.

I agree..bad!
You say they went the wrong way, but I guess that's the only way you could go. So I guess equalizing spoke tension is not viable?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, on the 440 150mm hub, both flanges are 25.5mm away from the center.

On their 135mm hub, the left flange is 33.75mm away vs 19.5 for the right.

Now the argument is whether the 8mm of distance from the left flange-to-center (or difference between 50mm from the left axle nut vs 33.75) the makes a difference in wheelbuilding?

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
You say they went the wrong way, but I guess that's the only way you could go. So I guess equalizing spoke tension is not viable?
I agree. While having a dishless wheel with even spoke tension is the goal you can not do it at the expense of the lateral bracing angle of the spokes.